Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 03:56 PM

Default Steele Lake (Cross Lake PP)

Going out here this week. Got about 6 gymnastics girls taking on a camping trip. Just wondering if the lake recovered from the summerkill a couple years back. It is back open for Pike and perch but wondering if ill bore the kids by having them catch nothing.
thanks
Old 07-17-2018, 09:23 AM

I was there on the July long weekend, lots of people fishing and catching. Not sure of the location of perch, but had success for pike in the bay directly across from the boat launch, there are some weed beds about 200 yards from shore, just trolled between the beds and shore, caught and released plenty of smaller pike on Len Thompson spoons of various colors. I don't like that they did not implement a size limit on the pike, people will keep tiny ones that need time to grow and spawn.

There was a guy at the fish cleaning station that was cleaning a pile of perch, but I am sure he would not have given up his spot....
Old 07-17-2018, 01:27 PM

yeah i noticed in the regulations it just stated 3 and not a dot. That would mean 3 of any size pike which is different. Unless im reading that wrong.