Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2017, 12:02 PM

Default Bow River

Hey guys,

Just moved to Calgary and I tried fishing the Bow multiple times with no luck. I'm just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on hook choice? I'm mostly spin casting but I do have a fly rod which I've never used. I've tried spinners, spoons, rattlers with assortments of colours. I've mostly fished around Fort Calgary if that helps.

Thank you.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:27 PM

Most guys are tight lipped about fishing spots especially on the bow. But alot of guys who spin fish told me they use rapala count downs in rainbow and brown patterns. Ive tried everything in my box , small spoons, black furys, bucktails, panther martins, every fly i have which honestly isnt a big assortment of flies but fish hate me i cant even get the trout in elk creek or peppers lake to bite. Ive had fish follow in the bow, and of all the places ive tried ive only ever had one small white fish actually hit but it got off after a short battle haha. There is policemans flats, by the dog park at end of southland drive, the bridge on the way to okotoks, bowness area and various access points in the city if your ok with the non fisherman people looking at you sternly. Get some waders make sure your careful that river is not polite somedays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2017, 01:32 PM

I am not sure if it is still available but there use to be a thing called the bow river fishing map. But as a rule there are numerous access points, and the walking path along most of it.

Google maps is your friend, the big thing is to find the parking and access points.

Take heart it can be tough learning the Bow but it will pay off. Though eventually you will be better off with a fly rod.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:03 PM

Yes, Rapala countdowns are best. I go with #5 and then move bigger as summer goes on. Around fort Calgary is usually decent, otherwise down in fish creek nearly anywhere. I find casting into the riffle and then letting it swing around works well (like fly fishing). Just let it sink and take the bottom hook off so it doesn't get caught as much and is easier to remove from the fish. Hope that helps!
Old 07-04-2017, 04:44 AM

Personally I think learning how to nymph fish a river like the Bow effectively is the most productive way to fish it for trout... mending your line to ensure your flies are bouncing drag free along the bottom. Streamer fishing is also good at this time of year if fly fishing. Try closer to the banks in high flow conditions.

If spinning, in addition to what's already been mentioned, my old neighbor used to have a lot of luck using Buzz Bombs.

Now is a great time to fish the Bow... runoff is just ending, it's clearing up, the flows are dropping, and the fish are hungry from fighting high currents for a number of weeks.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:59 AM

i use a spinner with 4 pound braid and a 4 pound floro leader. wrks really well @ this spot:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.05370.../data=!3m1!1e3

that's at the far right hand side of prince's island park.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:29 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to give it another shot this weekend! Hopefully my luck turns around!
Old 07-04-2017, 01:02 PM

There's a lot of good information given above already but I'll add a few things that work well for me.

Start off by scanning the water looking for seams, eddies, slack water, pools, large boulders and any change of flow.

Once you find a good area sneak in quietly, being careful not to make any sound. This is where I see a lot of fly guys mess up. No need to wade in the water unless you need to. If the fish get spooked you're done, move on. Work (walk) your way upstream.

Trout are wily fish so it's all about presentation. For spinning cast upstream at about 45 degrees and reel in at moderate speed, fast enough to give your lure action and slow enough so you're bumping the bottom. Most of your hits will come during this phase and during the swing as the lure is still on or near bottom. Work the area for 5-30 mins and move on up river. This is the most important advice I can give. Some guys will literally walk down from where they parked and fish the same spot all day and wonder why they aren't successful.

To be truly successful on the bow you have to get out there and explore. I fish the bow 3-4 times a week and walk about 6-8km each trip out.

Go to lures: panther Martin, fox vibration spinners, countdown minnow, x-rap in trout patterns.

Places: anywhere downstream of Glenmore bridge where you have access to parking.

Get out there explore and keep at it. Your persistence will be rewarded.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2017, 07:11 PM

X2 of the Fox Vibration spinners (atleast on the oldman river)..The fish seem to strike it with a vengeance....the guys at Wholesale or Cabelas should be able to steer you to the correct colors...
Old 07-05-2017, 09:44 AM

Don't forget a good old curly tail grub on a jig.

We have had luck with both black, white especially with the water high and dirty. Just make sure they are not scented since that is considered bait.

I have not taken a close look at the river for a couple of weeks but if you were trying to fish the bow through June then you were in the hardest month to fish it.

I know the first time I tried the bow I unknowingly tried right in the teeth of mountain run off, it almost scarred me away.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:38 PM

Just keep working the bow. It'll pay off. I'm new to fishing and was told the same things. Just keep trying different areas, look for the fish jumping in the evenings especially. I've been working the bow for almost three weeks and had nothing till the other night. Tried almost everything in my arsenal with no luck until I started using light brown grubs and rubber worms(all unscented of course) Then started landing them. I didn't mind it as the views and wildlife were nice to enjoy and it got me out of the house. I started where Deerfoot goes over the Bow at Douglasdale and just kept heading south.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19756810_10154566175927665_1118983250528404224_n.jpg (24.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 07-05-2017, 02:14 PM

Check out this dude, he's the slayer of the bow river browns on the ol Fishbrain app.... smashin giant browns like pu$$y on prom night!! Haha!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCye...H0CF7Bxjpe0-mg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk