Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2017, 03:20 PM

Default cascade lake

Anybody going or have already gone to cascade lake in Idaho??
Trophy hunting for big perch!!
Old 01-23-2017, 04:09 PM

Yup, few years back...weather was terrible, bright blue skies and very cold. Trout fishing was better than the Perch bite though we still caught a few 14"+...the big Perch are very cannibalistic in there so something that resembles a small Perch works well!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:59 PM

Everything I read so far this year is not sounding great. Last year lots of reports of great fishing. So far all I'm reading is slow ice travel due to snow and slush, getting stuck and trenching to get out. Only getting a few fish if people get any. I am guessing it is due to the limitation in travel. Just can't catch em if you can't find them. Just saw a report on Fishingnetwork.net and a guy was out there and they only got 4. You may do better closer to home till conditions get better there.

Recent report another place I found.
"Here are some pics from Cascade yesterday afternoon. This was near the island. Was fairly solid going out in -15 temps, but once the sun warmed things up, it became a darn mess. Leave your ATV's home and be cautious where you're going. Digging a slush filled long track out while standing in 10" of water isn't much fun"

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-24-2017, 08:28 AM

Yeah...good info Brandon. That is a long, long way to go to get stuck in slush. It was in the back of my mind as "one day" but meh...there are so many unexplored lakes in AB with solid ice. I'm saving the gas and continuing to enjoy our province.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:38 PM

Heading there on Feb 01-07. I'll let you know how we make out. We've got a local guide taking us out and he has had success the last few weekend, but says there is a ton of snow and lots of water on the ice. Good Muck boots are needed!
Old 02-02-2017, 09:41 AM

Default Limits

Anybody from alberta go down to cascade and when u return to alberta what r u aloud to bring across the border and in what form? Can they be filleted or do they have to be hole?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:42 PM

You are allowed 10 fish for each person and they can be in whole or filleted. We brought ours back whole in a cooler with snow. 6 over 2 lbs went to get mounted.

You just have to tell the boarder agent when they ask.

Cascade is a amazing place and an outstanding fishery. They do no appreciate what they have and treat the perch as a pest. There is no limit which is crazy, but unlike here the pressure is very low. We where on the lake 3 days and never saw more then 10 other people. Well worth the trip for a great trophy hunt for large perch.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:02 AM

Right on, sounds like a good trip! Which guide service did you go with?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Midas View Post
Right on, sounds like a good trip! Which guide service did you go with?
You don't need a guide... just go fishing if you want.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 02-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Banned

Beware Cascade, the perch bite has been leaked out and you are doomed like every lake in AB!!!!!
Old 02-10-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
Beware Cascade, the perch bite has been leaked out and you are doomed like every lake in AB!!!!!
That's what I was thinking haha! But it is a long long drive and I can't see that many people making the trip especially with the ice conditions being so variable and unknown. Just like I want to go to Lake Winipeg... I think you guys would be better going off to lake winipeg get your perch and monster walleye similar distance!

Old 02-11-2017, 12:20 AM

The crew at In depth Outdoors just recently filmed an episode there for perch. Wowzers, them are hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman80 View Post
The crew at In depth Outdoors just recently filmed an episode there for perch. Wowzers, them are hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, thanks... watched it. Know exactly where they were fishing I was fishing there last year!

Old 02-11-2017, 08:30 PM

The In Depth Outdoors crew was there a week before us. They stayed at the same hotel and they had to work hard for the ones they got. We did much better and larger a little deeper. 22-25' was what we where fishing.

This is the guide we used http://www.icefishidaho.com/ Good guy and we didn't want to pack machines down on the first trip.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
The In Depth Outdoors crew was there a week before us. They stayed at the same hotel and they had to work hard for the ones they got. We did much better and larger a little deeper. 22-25' was what we where fishing.

This is the guide we used http://www.icefishidaho.com/ Good guy and we didn't want to pack machines down on the first trip.
Yeah they were trying to really sell the shallow water bite in that video I think cause better for catch and release. But last year I did good same depth that you said. I did it on my own though on foot. Would walk three miles one way. Should be better this year since have someone to join me with a machine. Can't wait.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:33 AM

I seen some pics of the perch in there Wow crazy big those perch!! Would be a great trip to make seeing the size of those humpback!!
Old 02-14-2017, 10:50 AM

I want to go, badly. Plan was to camp on or by the lake to trim costs, but no one seems to have enough time to make it happen.

Is this a lake where you would need a machine to move around? I'd imagine a mountain lake reservoir and those temperatures don't make for the best drive on conditions for a 1/2 ton?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:41 PM

It is illegal to drive a truck on Cascade. You can stay in Cascade for about $100 USD, so camping is not needed. You would burn more gas then the cost of the room.

This trip was the cheapest fishing trip i have ever been on. I've spent more going fishing here in Alberta.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:03 PM

$100 a night adds up over a week. I'd sooner pull a tent trailer and split gas costs.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:33 PM

It was a bit slow today only got one probably close to two pounds. Maybe 5 over 14 inch. Tanks but super bright sun all day seemed to turn them off a bit.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
It was a bit slow today only got one probably close to two pounds. Maybe 5 over 14 inch. Tanks but super bright sun all day seemed to turn them off a bit.
I expect to see a video or two from this trip?
Old 02-16-2017, 03:51 AM

Buddies were there last week.Super slow for them at the beginning except one super tanker SLOB...16.5", 2lbs 9oz! Should see this thing, ridiculous! Hooked up with a guy from Wyoming they met at the bar, went to his spot the last day and crushed it...no monsters but steady all day! Can't drive on they brought sleds and rented a 5 bedroom house a 100 yards from the lake...going next year, circled on the calendar, who's in??
Old 02-16-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefoe View Post
Buddies were there last week.Super slow for them at the beginning except one super tanker SLOB...16.5", 2lbs 9oz! Should see this thing, ridiculous! Hooked up with a guy from Wyoming they met at the bar, went to his spot the last day and crushed it...no monsters but steady all day! Can't drive on they brought sleds and rented a 5 bedroom house a 100 yards from the lake...going next year, circled on the calendar, who's in??
Count me in! I will go. I would definitely love to do that journey and get a mounter! I have 2 touring sleds on a tilt trailer but a sled deck on a pick up would probably be a much better option for a trip like that I think.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:11 AM

Sneak Peak

Old 02-17-2017, 09:29 AM

Holy Perch Grail Nice
Old 02-17-2017, 10:45 AM

Nice!!! Those faces say it all.

How are you getting around on the lake Brandon?
Old 02-17-2017, 11:31 AM

What's the biggest there Brandon? 14" 1-3/4 lbs approx?
Old 02-18-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
What's the biggest there Brandon? 14" 1-3/4 lbs approx?
Biggest was 15 inch probably pretty close to 2 pounds. Actually I think one of the 14.5 inch looked even fatter and heavier then the 15. Must have got 15 perch over 14 inches. The other group got a 16" as biggest fish for them.

Didn't beat my personal best last year 15 3/4 inch and 2 and a 1/4 pounds