Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2013, 03:56 PM

Default Casting Rod Preference

So I know most people just go and buy the regular 6'6" MH F rod or something close to those lines for fishing here in Alberta. I am starting to really get into the science behind picking rods for certain types of fishing though and have realized that there are much better options out there compared to the jack of all trades that most people use. The only problem with this approach being that you end up having to buy more and better quality rods costing hundreds of dollars.

I know there are people on here that do have better more specific rods and was hoping that some of them would comment on what they prefer for fishing with in different situations.

The one thing that I am highly considering is changing most of my rods to a moderate action. I grew up using fast action rods because they are so widely available here but have always liked my rods that had more flex to them as they are much easier to fight the fish with and casting distance isn't that important when you have a boat which I do.

What I am currently contemplating for a new fishing rod arsenal is something like the following

St. Croix PC76LM, I really want this rod for trout fishing. 7'6 1 piece light power medium action rod that would make it super easy to keep tension on the fish which is so important when fighting trout. Probably good on lakes with small walleye and possibly even for lure fishing perch if there was a lake worth doing that in...

7'-7'6 1 piece medium power moderate action rod for walleye and small pike fishing. I like to do lots of trolling with rapalas and the odd casting with jigs or spoons. Every once in a while I will throw on a pickeral rig or something similar as well.

7'6 to 8'6 1 piece, telescopic or 2 piece, heavy power moderate fast action rod for fishing for large pike, possibly shore fishing the river. Something I can throw some heavy line and big lures on when I know there are some larger fish swimming around.

A 6'6 2 piece Moderate power fast action is probably good enough for the little walleye jigging I do but if I decided to upgrade jigging rod probably go to 2 piece, maybe extra fast and around the 6' to 6'6 range.

Maybe some day a 6' light power fast action rod for perching as well.

I would like to hear if anyone else have favourite preferences for different types of fishing or opinions on my above choices? St. Croix has a deal on right now that if you buy $300 worth of rods you get a free rage model rod after mail in rebate(pay shipping and handling), might do this if I can find the rods I want.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Banned

Been there, done that, and gone back to a couple jack of all trade rods, thats just me though. IMO if its a slower action you want, for several of your aplications you may as well just get an Ugly Stick. I like your idea of a longer, soft action rod for trout though, I have far less trout shake the hook on fly gear than on spinning gear and I think the long, soft action rod is the reason.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:09 PM

You definitely have the length right - a longer rod 7'-6" or 8' is better for casting. A moderate action, however, is not your best choice for casting, jigging or bottom bouncing.

Softer spines and slower actions are great for bait fishing an unattended rod, and landing a trout on a fly after it has inhaled your hook. Setting a hook requires a bit more "stroke" with a softer action.

Also consider your quick twitch control with a crank bait or jig with a softer rod.

There is a reason why almost every rod on the shelf is fast to extra fast action out there. They are certainly more versatile in my opinion.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
You definitely have the length right - a longer rod 7'-6" or 8' is better for casting. A moderate action, however, is not your best choice for casting, jigging or bottom bouncing.

Softer spines and slower actions are great for bait fishing an unattended rod, and landing a trout on a fly after it has inhaled your hook. Setting a hook requires a bit more "stroke" with a softer action.

Also consider your quick twitch control with a crank bait or jig with a softer rod.

There is a reason why almost every rod on the shelf is fast to extra fast action out there. They are certainly more versatile in my opinion.
Not saying I dissagree with you EZ, but from what I've picked up from numerous rod reviews and comparisons, slower actions are often prefered in a crank bait rod, at least by bass guys. Not sure of the reasoning behind that.

As well it seems like most surf casting rods have a pretty slow action, once again I dont know why the parabolic action is preffered for surf fishing where the casts are very long but that is the case.

Jigging hands down needs a faster rod but trolling bottom bouncers, and darn near anything else, I cant see any advantage one way or the other. I think if this guy wants to try slower actions he should go for it, personaly I dont much care for slow actions either.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 PM

I am sure there is some science and reasoning behind all the different rods out there but for the average joe fisherman.... Lets be honest, rod companies are out there to make money. They come out with all these rods to make you think you need them to catch those certain species of fish, so in the end you buy more rods. You want to spend big money on rods then go for it, but I dont think you need nearly as many rods as you have listed there. One light action rod for small streams or stocked pond trout fishing. One medium fast action rod for larger trout and walleye fishing, and one heavy action longer rod for big pike.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:26 PM

I have a few spinning rods in the garage with softer action and there they sit ...... in the garage.

I can't seem to pry myself away from my responsive, crisp fast action and extra fast action rods ......... I'm addicted to the superior feel and control I guess.

This thread has definitely made me think - Maybe I will brush the dust off and give them a try this summer .........
Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Been there, done that, and gone back to a couple jack of all trade rods, thats just me though. IMO if its a slower action you want, for several of your aplications you may as well just get an Ugly Stick. I like your idea of a longer, soft action rod for trout though, I have far less trout shake the hook on fly gear than on spinning gear and I think the long, soft action rod is the reason.
I have found that there are 2 very key items required to land trout, constantly keeping pressure on the lure and having a good drag system. They kind of go hand in hand but I do think the longer soft action rod would make a big difference, online I have read some reviews for the PC76LM by kokanee and trout fishers and most of them love it, one of these days I am going to have one(probably before the season starts lol).

Quote:

Yeah I know you want a short fast action rod for jigging, not sure about bottom bouncing. I rarely jig and almost never bottom bounce though so it doesn't really matter and if I were jigging would just use my current 6'6 fast action rod. I am usually trolling and then if I find something will sit and cast or use bait and that is probably why I seem to prefer the more moderate action. As Cal just mentioned many bass crank bait fishermen seem to prefer moderate action. It also seems o me that there is a slow movement of people heading towards moderate action rods lately and part of me wonders if that is because fast action rods are faster then they used to be(sure seems like it when I compare my last 2 rods I have used).

Maybe what I need to try is a longer rod with fast action, the extra length alone might be enough of a difference with its added flex. If I go straight to both a longer and slower rod maybe it will make it too slow for me.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
You want to spend big money on rods then go for it, but I dont think you need nearly as many rods as you have listed there. One light action rod for small streams or stocked pond trout fishing. One medium fast action rod for larger trout and walleye fishing, and one heavy action longer rod for big pike.
That is all I would buy, 1 rod for trout, a new rod for walleye and pike and then a heavy rod. As mentioned for my jigging rod I would just use my jack of all trades that I already have and if I find a good perch hole I might invest in a nice small lightweight rod for them.

Quote:
I have a few spinning rods in the garage with softer action and there they sit ...... in the garage.

I can't seem to pry myself away from my responsive, crisp fast action and extra fast action rods ......... I'm addicted to the superior feel and control I guess.

This thread has definitely made me think - Maybe I will brush the dust off and give them a try this summer .........
One thing that I have noticed is that spinning rods seem to be softer then casting rods for some unexplainable reason. Maybe that is just my mind playing games with me but it always seems like my rods have always been faster acting then when fishing with family and friends (most of which are spinning gear guys).
Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 PM

The bass dudes definitely use real heavy gear - like medium power rods, 40 lb braid for 3 lb bass. I can see why they need less of a fast action tip. They set the hook like it's a 1200 lb tuna and almost end up on their @$$e$.

Then they are panting like their pushing a "all you can eat post beef and cheese night" log on a rented toilet as they skip the bass along the water and swing it into the boat like a cable shot put.

You start setting the hook like a hillbilly with this set up and you will have fish heads flying everywhere. YEEEEE HAWWW.

That's my guess on why they need less snap on their rod tips.

These guys are hardcore sister marrying, cat fish frying, 800 hp outboardin' good ol' boys
Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 PM

I have a St Croix lec90hf2 ,legend elite,I find the fast action makes for effortless casting as well increased accuracy.
These rods are so light and sensitive ,but at $400 for a rod they better be nice.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
I have found that there are 2 very key items required to land trout, constantly keeping pressure on the lure and having a good drag system. They kind of go hand in hand but I do think the longer soft action rod would make a big difference, online I have read some reviews for the PC76LM by kokanee and trout fishers and most of them love it, one of these days I am going to have one(probably before the season starts lol).

Yeah I know you want a short fast action rod for jigging, not sure about bottom bouncing. I rarely jig and almost never bottom bounce though so it doesn't really matter and if I were jigging would just use my current 6'6 fast action rod. I am usually trolling and then if I find something will sit and cast or use bait and that is probably why I seem to prefer the more moderate action. As Cal just mentioned many bass crank bait fishermen seem to prefer moderate action. It also seems o me that there is a slow movement of people heading towards moderate action rods lately and part of me wonders if that is because fast action rods are faster then they used to be(sure seems like it when I compare my last 2 rods I have used).

Maybe what I need to try is a longer rod with fast action, the extra length alone might be enough of a difference with its added flex. If I go straight to both a longer and slower rod maybe it will make it too slow for me.
I'm aware how one needs to fight fish, but regardless of how a trout is fought I've noticed a definit pattern of trout throwing hooks more regularly on spinning gear. IMO its because they tend to run a little small for throwing a good bend in your average Med power rod, and most light and ultra light spinning rods seem to be on the short side. A long ultralight rod, such as the ones that panfishermen in the states seem to be using should be a pretty good trout getter.

I whittled my rod arsenal down to a 7' med power, a 6.6" med light power, and a 6 WT fly rod. Between these three I'm pretty well covered, the med and med light make a good pair for walleye fishing, the med works for pike and the med light works for trout, as well as the 6 WT. If I were to change one thing I might replace the med with a longer MH, just for soaking big bait from shore. On the other hand my boat's rod lockers will only accomidate 7' rods so would I realy come out ahead?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 AM

Yeah one thing that I know will have downsides is having 7'6 1 piece rods, going to be a pain for transporting and managing in the boat etc.

Really my current rod is good enough most of the time except I need something better for trout and that is why I want the PC76LM and I also don't have a rod with enough backbone for large pike lures like #4 spoons and kicking minnow etc so that is why I want a good heavy rod. That is why I am contemplating finding these 2 rods with St. Croix and then I would get a nice new walleye/pike rod thrown in for the price of shipping and handling as well. Proving to be a little difficult though as no place up here handles the models I really would like...
Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 AM

Moderate actions are great for trolling, especially rods that you leave in the rod holder - trolling cranks or bottom bouncing. They load more slowly and evenly when the fish strikes, and therefore increase your hookup rate.

For pretty much every other situation, a fast or extra fast action will offer better sensitivity, better hook setting power, and be better suited to fighting a fish.

If I were you, I'd focus a lot less on the action of the rod, and more on the power. Look at moving away from Medium power rods toward Medium Lights. This is especially true if you're fishing with braids or superlines that have no stretch. A ML rod is all you need to land any walleye that swims in AB, and most of the pike too. The overall softer rod will really help with hook sets and being more forgiving when fighting a fish. The only real reason to move up to a M or MH in my opinion is if the size of the lure you're using - large cranks, heavy jigs, spoons, swimbaits etc - is just too much for the ML.

I view rods like the golf analogy. You can play a round of golf with nothing but a driver and a putter, but you'll have a much better score and have more fun if you've got a full set of good quality clubs. Fishing is no different. All the different rod lengths, actions, powers, and applications are more than just rod company hype, they really do improve your fishing.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 AM

I had thought about a ML power rod, they are very difficult to find though and the line and lure weight ratings often aren't high enough for what I would prefer my rod to be able to handle. That is why I was going to go the moderate action route instead. I think I will just have to try it and see what happens, either it will work out as I am hoping or I will just have a good backup rod lol.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah one thing that I know will have downsides is having 7'6 1 piece rods, going to be a pain for transporting and managing in the boat etc.

Really my current rod is good enough most of the time except I need something better for trout and that is why I want the PC76LM and I also don't have a rod with enough backbone for large pike lures like #4 spoons and kicking minnow etc so that is why I want a good heavy rod. That is why I am contemplating finding these 2 rods with St. Croix and then I would get a nice new walleye/pike rod thrown in for the price of shipping and handling as well. Proving to be a little difficult though as no place up here handles the models I really would like...
IMO if you pick your lures carefully you can still fish big lures with a M power rod. Your average Med action rod can throw up to around 3/4 - 1 oz without too much trouble, 7" Rapala originals, most single bucktails, big plastics, and a good number of large spoons come in at a weight that a M rod can handle. A 1 oz Gibbs or Williams spoon is a pretty big lure. This is why I got away from heavyer rigs, a more versitile rod can cover the same ground if you chose your lures with more thought.

Where you cant get away from a heavyer rod is throwing big bait, in the places I fish one usualy needs 1-2 oz of lead, with a sizeable herring on there too you are way beyond what a med rod can handle.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I had thought about a ML power rod, they are very difficult to find though and the line and lure weight ratings often aren't high enough for what I would prefer my rod to be able to handle. That is why I was going to go the moderate action route instead. I think I will just have to try it and see what happens, either it will work out as I am hoping or I will just have a good backup rod lol.
They shouldn't be that hard to find. Shimano and St Croix offer most of their lengths and actions in a ML power these days in many different models. The ML is becoming more and more common as people catch on to it, but you may have to ask to have one brought in for you, much like you'd have to do if you decide to go with a moderate action. Now's the time to that so they can add it to an upcoming order and save you some shipping costs.

Those weight ratings are the "sweet spot" but a ML rod will work the odd time you find yourself needing to cast a 1/2oz jig or a spoon up to maybe an ounce or so. They're softer, but they aren't completely spineless. That's where rod length comes into play as well, the longer the rod the better and further it will cast. The ML will actually outperform the M considerably when casting and working lighter lures. If you're consistently casting lures 3/4-1 oz or more, then you will stress a ML pretty good and you're likely better off going M or even MH.

You can see how a guy ends up with a lot of rods though if you want to stay within each rod's sweet spot for every type and weight of lure you're going to use. Trying to make a single rod or even two or three do everything results in some pretty big compromises in rod performance.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
You can see how a guy ends up with a lot of rods though if you want to stay within each rod's sweet spot for every type and weight of lure you're going to use. Trying to make a single rod or even two or three do everything results in some pretty big compromises in rod performance.
Yep, that is why I am finally considering upgrading to 3 good rods to cover the majority of ranges useful in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Up until now I have always just used a jack of all trades type rod and although it does work I lose fish I shouldn't and give up on casting larger lures etc. A guy doesn't need much, imo 3 rods should be good for Alberta(unless you are big into perch or sturgeon fishing in which case a special rode for that might be handy as well).
Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 PM

RC have you looked at the panfish series of st croix .The premier series is made from scii technology. The panfish series uses a combination of scii and a combination of the top of the line scvi,for not alot of price difference.I am a St Croix fan and would love a panfish model.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 PM

No I haven't since I am a caster not a spinner and for whatever reason they don't have any casting models in that line.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
No I haven't since I am a caster not a spinner and for whatever reason they don't have any casting models in that line.
Ahhhh you are correct.Have you looked at the LEC90MLF2 it has close to the same specs as the pc76lm except for length and PRICE ,can chuck a bigger lure and is only slightly heavier.