Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2013, 08:24 AM

Default Auto Gaff legal

Morning,
On page 233 of the bass pro spring angler catalog, they sell a fish grabber. One is called an auto gaff. Would these be legal in Alberta? My concern is the word GAFF in their name. They say they cause no harm to the fish. My wife really likes the idea of them, but I don't want to be using something illegal.
Thanks' in advance,
Ken
Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 AM

im not sure about that, those ones can do alot of damage to the fish. as the teeth will scrape them up pretty bad. have you looked at the lip grip style grabber? you just snap them onto the bottom jaw of a pike or walleye and they will do the same thing as that grabber, only not harming the fish.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:57 AM

I just can't see those not doing any harm to the fish. Perhaps not every fish may get harmed, but I still believe that a net is the way to go.

Illegal - probably not.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
I just can't see those not doing any harm to the fish. Perhaps not every fish may get harmed, but I still believe that a net is the way to go.

Illegal - probably not.
x2, but if its a fish I'm releasing and its not a trophy that I desparatly want a picture of I usualy just land them by hand. IMO that the gentlest way of all. Even with a net fish can sometimes thrash around and get tangled up, especily if they have a multi hooked crankbait or worm harness dangling out of their mouth.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:55 AM

However you land the fish it's important to fight them long enough so they're tired out. A fish with lots of energy can do a lot of damage to themseves regardless of how you get them in the boat.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:36 AM

No freaking way I would use that for catch and release... I don't think it would work all that great either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
x2, but if its a fish I'm releasing and its not a trophy that I desparatly want a picture of I usualy just land them by hand. IMO that the gentlest way of all. Even with a net fish can sometimes thrash around and get tangled up, especily if they have a multi hooked crankbait or worm harness dangling out of their mouth.
The key is having a good rubber coated net, fish almost never get tangled and especially if you have 2 people they can easily be released quickly.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
No freaking way I would use that for catch and release... I don't think it would work all that great either.

The key is having a good rubber coated net, fish almost never get tangled and especially if you have 2 people they can easily be released quickly.
My net is both good, and rubber coated but a lively pike with one set of trebles stuck in his mouth and one set of trebles stuck in the net can be bugger to release in a timely manner. Then you need to free the lure befor you can continue fishing and/ or using the net.

Generaly I dont even land them if I can help it, if the hook is sticking out of the fish's mouth I grab the shank with a pair of pliers, lift slowly with the hook reversed, and let gravity do its work.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobinson View Post
have you looked at the lip grip style grabber? you just snap them onto the bottom jaw of a pike or walleye and they will do the same thing as that grabber, only not harming the fish.
Those can actually do a lot of harm to a fish I have seen many pictures of fish jaw's ripped wide open from thrashing one a lip grabber. IMO grab them properly with your hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
However you land the fish it's important to fight them long enough so they're tired out. A fish with lots of energy can do a lot of damage to themseves regardless of how you get them in the boat.
You can also do a lot of damage to a fish by fighting them too long and increasing the lactic acid build up. Get them in quick!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
You can also do a lot of damage to a fish by fighting them too long and increasing the lactic acid build up. Get them in quick!
There is a sweet spot for catching and releasing fish. If you horse them in too quickly they will have to much energy still and will thrash around and can hurt themselves and/or be dangerous for you to handle(if hook comes free and pops into your hand etc). A great example of this was a 16" trout I caught last year, I hooked him right at the side of the canoe and didn't have drag on the reel I was using so ended up just lifting him into the boat and he made a mess of himself, I was keeping him though so didn't feel too bad about it.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:04 PM

Landing cradle or Rubber net is the best way if you can't release them beside the boat. The less handling the better, I try to get the hook out while they are still in the water as much as I can. If a guy handles them to much they lose their protective slime coating which leaves them vulnerable to disease.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Banned

Cool

Gain confidence with your fish handling skills and all the nets , grabbers and gaffybobers will start to become of little use unless you need a pic or are retaining a fish. I have not owned a net in over ten yrs. If memory serves I have needed one on less than two or three occasions to get pics of fish. I do not play fish out ether. Confidence goes a long way and holding a fish on its back really helps.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning375 View Post
Landing cradle or Rubber net is the best way if you can't release them beside the boat. The less handling the better, I try to get the hook out while they are still in the water as much as I can. If a guy handles them to much they lose their protective slime coating which leaves them vulnerable to disease.
Wetting your hands befor handling helps keep the slime on them and off of you to some degree. Although I land almost all my fish by hand I will admit that there are times when a net is a good option. On a rough day I sure dont like my passangers dangling over the side of the boat trying to grab fish.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:44 PM

Default Thanks' to you

Thanks' to all of you. I kinda figured it looked too good to be true. We use a rubber coated net and will continue to do so. We have a lip grabber scale, but use it quick and only when needed . Exact weight rarely matters to us, as we either let em go asap, or weigh them quick if it;s big for us. We usually use heavier line so we don't have to tire the fish right out. Anyway, thanks for the input.
Ken