Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2017, 07:17 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Wanted: Saltwater Update

Us poor landlubbers are sitting here languishing whilst you saltwater fishers are having all the fun! Actually we are rotting away, flailing for these sludge fish on the prairie, munge ridden pike and walleye that taste like poop now that the water has warmed...

We, the above, need a little light shone into our bleak lives at this point...

Saltwater update anyone? To those fishing the bigwater, please enlighten us.

Photos encouraged to brighten the day for the bleak, the disheartened, those who are wasting away.

Please?

(My wife always wants me to say please)
Old 07-06-2017, 07:27 AM

"Flailing for sludgefish" haha i like it.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Us poor landlubbers are sitting here languishing whilst you saltwater fishers are having all the fun! Actually we are rotting away, flailing for these sludge fish on the prairie, munge ridden pike and walleye that taste like poop now that the water has warmed...

We, the above, need a little light shone into our bleak lives at this point...

Saltwater update anyone? To those fishing the bigwater, please enlighten us.

Photos encouraged to brighten the day for the bleak, the disheartened, those who are wasting away.

Please?

(My wife always wants me to say please)
I love and respect our Alberta fishery.

I also love tidal fishing.

I caught and ate a greenling yesterday as well as 4 crabs.

SDF

PS

You don't need to eat everything you catch to have fun fishing.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-07-2017, 07:26 AM
AO Sponsor

Oh, we have a beautiful fishery here in Alberta, for the most part. I am actually the embodiment of the word respect! In the flesh! However, I am way down in the south, down in the agricultural waters, and agricultural practices have made the fishery down here very non-respectable. In fact just yesterday these irrigation company guys were out poisoning the water, killing all the pike and walleye, whitefish, etc in the canals in the name of agriculture. It is weed/algae control with a product called Magnacide.

To make a long story short, irrigation practices have destroyed, are destroying water quality here in the south, and I could very well be in the worst place in the province. Our water is grotesque. I envy the guys in the north. I definitely envy the guys to the west much, much more!

How's the chinook business out there? The numbers don't look great, but I don't necessarily trust the DFO's internet numbers for the general public anymore. Look at June 25, 26, 27 on the Skeena. Cute to not record numbers nor collect data on dayswhere there likely was a nice spike. Then, if anybody was watching, June 15, 16 sockeye... what the heck are they doing? How do numbers change so drastically?
Old 07-07-2017, 08:17 AM

I've fished a lot of places never cared much for salt water find fresh water fishing more satisfying. Alberta may not have the largest fisheryi ive fished but it is a quality fishery just the same.

Mack
Old 07-07-2017, 06:40 PM

Default Prince rupert trip

Update on ocean fishing

We arrived in Prince Rupert,on Tuesday afternoon and found our motel had experienced a fire. They found a room for us but talking to other people at the motel, who said fishing had not been great. We hit the water Wednesday a.m. anf fished Lucy Island to shake the kinks out of the boat and our gear. Caught some coho and small springs. Headed to Melville Thurs. A.m. and saw lots of boats which was a good sign. We got into some coho, some of which were pushing 10 lbs. Came back to town with our limit. Headed out to porcher this morning to try for halibut and caught 4 keepers, but nothing large. Then headed to Melville and caught the end of the bite there. Again, large coho being caught by almost everyone. Everyone we talked to who was out with a guide is limiting out. This was not the case up until recently. Even saw an article in the local paper about how tough the fishing was. With the Skeena closed the town is packed with fishermen and lots of Alberta license plates. Saw lots of river boats on the ocean with registration numbers that start AB. Took a few photos and will try to post when we get home. Heading back to Porcher in the morning to try for halibut again. Will try to post tomorrow night. Enjoy the heat back home.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:32 PM

All the salt chuck info one can handle.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php