Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-05-2009, 01:20 AM

Default Spin Reel, Spincast or Bait Casting reels?

Wondering what kind of reel preferences you guys have. I've always used a spinning reel, are the other types better or worse? I'm sure each one has it's benefits for different situations but what is the all around preference? Is it worth having one of each?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:55 AM

Let's see...I think spincast reels are the easiest to use. They're good for kids, beginners, and people who just don't want to mess around with the open bail.

Baitcast reels are, as per their name, targeted towards casting. I'm not really up on the details of how they work, but you can 'cast a country mile' with 'em. The downside is you've got to have it dialled in right or you'll end up with a bird's nest of line.

And spinning reels. Well, I don't really know what the particular benefit is with them but they are definitely the most common type of reel you'll come across.

I'm sure somebody else will chime in and add a little more detail to this list

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-05-2009, 07:35 AM

Im of the firm belief that spincast reels were invented by the devil!!! I started with them, because they were very cheap. Problem after problem, they usually ended up in the garbage sooner rather than later. Maybe the new crop are better designed, but the oldies were crap. One little pin to pick up your line, which usually ended up getting stuck and not coming out, or the line would get wrapped around the shaft, or one of another dozen things to go wrong. If the new ones are good they would be ok for teaching, but I bet the old ones turned more people off fishing than they hooked. I taught my wife on a spinning reel, didnt have any problems picking it up at all, and I dont think anyone would really.
Spinning reels have better line pickup, more line capacity, Im sure better drag systems, and are all around a way better system in my opinion.
I do have a couple of bait casters, havent touched them in ages, except when ice fishing, they make good pike reels with heavy braid on them on a short heavy rod.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 AM

I prefer a bait caster for Shore fishing / trolling type situations . Or when fishing for heavier fish , IE . Large pike , Walleye , Lake trout . You can cast further with a baitcaster .Use for heaveyer lures .

Spin cast is perfect for casting retrieving situations , You can use them for trolling also , but ' I ' muchly prefer a bait caster for that . And Spin cast is good for if your jigging . As the rod tends to be not as long nore heavy as a bait caster rod . I guess It just depends . Pretty limited on how far you can cast with a lure's weight .

If I was you id buy em both Make an investment . As they both have there place .
Old 11-05-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I do have a couple of bait casters, havent touched them in ages, except when ice fishing, they make good pike reels with heavy braid on them on a short heavy rod.
Is there a particular reason you like the baitcaster for ice fishing?

When I was at the new WSS I saw some ice fishing combos with little baitcasting reels on them, and it confused me, as there's not much casting going on when you're ice fishing.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-05-2009, 05:28 PM

I just like them for icefishing, dont really know why I saw some of those ice fishing ones at CT today too, or maybe it was wallyworld I forget. I find I can cast lures further with my spinning reel than the baitcasters, guess thats just me. I use a 7 1/2 foor medium action rod so maybe that helps with the distance, and braid really adds to the distance too.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich