Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
His organization determines employability, the law sets methods for remedy.

I know of several instances where there has been theft and fraud at a workplace and the employers and management handled the situation in exactly the way I have outlined. All men are equal, he deserves the same treatment.
And I know of instances where people were fired, and prosecuted for defrauding their employers, or defrauding insurance companies, so no, all men are not equal, and they are not all treated equally.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And I know of instances where people were fired, and prosecuted for defrauding their employers, or defrauding insurance companies, so no, all men are not equal, and they are not all treated equally.
Which just proves my original point in this exchange, every situation is different and should be handled differently. thank you.

you gonna let me come look for morels?

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 05-11-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
you gonna let me come look for morels?
You would probably find more where you are. The growing conditions are likely more suitable for them.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You would probably find more where you are. The growing conditions are likely more suitable for them.
Ya, my bad it was a different guy with elk in his name that I bugged about picking on his land.

Best picking I ever did was in the Yukon though. sure Ft Mac would have them growing.

I'll not derail anymore, just excited to go mushrooming

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 05-11-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Conservation View Post
While I am not defending the actions of this officer, I do wonder whether Post Traumatic Stress Disorder played a role.

For what he had to go through, and now has to live with due to the events in Mayerthorpe, it is my understanding that PTSD can cause a person to do things they would normally not do. PTSD may not manifest itself for several years.

Just wondering.....

Mr Conservation
Yeah, PTSD may well be part of it.

I wonder if after the murders it occurred to head office that this guy would need counselling, and whether he was offered and received some.

This officer was not present when the others were ambushed, but no doubt he had a first hand look at the crime scene. It is likely he experienced a deep sense of leadership failure and is having trouble dealing with the complex emotional fallout.

Hopefully the courts are able to sort it out. Hmmm, not likely.

Regardless of the outcome if I were a rank and file member, I would not want this man as my detachment head. And if I lived in the same town, I wouldn't want him on duty in any capacity. The guy is but a 3rd lapse in judgment away from another disaster.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Banned

obviously the man was aware hes not supposed to use his expense car to buy helmets for his kids. He is a crook. The law is the law. Do your time and move on
Old 05-12-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burglecut83 View Post
obviously the man was aware hes not supposed to use his expense car to buy helmets for his kids. He is a crook. The law is the law. Do your time and move on
Meh..

You just get moved to another divsion... I stopped taking the RCMP seriously a long time ago.

Anyone remember this one from only a few short years ago?

Polygraph unit commander of the K division?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ates-1.1233088

"A senior Edmonton RCMP officer who hosted drinking parties in his office and pressured female subordinates to have sex with him has been docked 10 days pay, demoted one rank and transferred.

Following a disciplinary hearing for then-Staff Sgt. Don Ray in November 2011, the RCMP Adjudication Board delivered its decision Jan. 13, 2012. That decision has only recently been made public.

Ray was the head of the polygraph unit at K Division in Edmonton from 2006 to 2009 when the complaints took place.

Ray had sex with female subordinates and used his position to favour potential female employees.

Ray also admitted to drinking, and encouraging subordinates to drink alcohol in the office, even stocking the office with beer and rum himself.

The statement of facts say:

■Over a period of a year, beginning in 2006, Ray had a sexual relationship with a female employee, with liaisons taking place in the polygraph suite during lunch breaks and after business hours.
■In late March or early April 2009, Ray opened his pants, exposing his penis to a female employee after a drinking party. He asked her to touch his penis and have sex with him. When she refused, he insisted. She refused again and they left the building without further sexual contact.
■In early April 2009, Ray attended a celebration at a pub in St. Albert, Alta., for the transfer of a co-worker. Ray asked for a ride with a female employee after saying he was too drunk to drive. Ray had sex with the woman in a parking lot.
■Also in 2009, Ray took prospective RCMP hirees out for drinks after meeting with them for security screening interviews and fingerprinting. He also offered to alter security forms for one candidate by extending the length of time she knew one of her character references.
Widespread harassment complaints
RCMP at K Division in Edmonton held a news conference on Tuesday in response to media inquiries about the case.

Chief Supt. Marlin Degrand said the allegations involving Ray first surfaced in Aug. 2009 and became the subject of a formal code of conduct investigation later that month.

"When individuals such as Sgt. Ray make the decisions that they do, and perform the activities such as they do, it cannot help but bring discredit to the rest of us, and it hurts us," said Degrand.

"However, we move forward with the good work that our men and women are committed to doing every day on the streets."

Degrand said dismissal was one of the actions considered by adjudication board

"The adjudication board considered all of the aggravating and as well as mitigating circumstances and this case, they deemed that this member would receive the highest form of sanction short of dismissal," he said.

Ray's disciplinary hearing came amid widespread complaints from female RCMP officers who say they experienced sexual harassment in the force.

In one high-profile complaint in B.C., Cpl. Catherine Galliford claimed she suffered post-traumatic stress disorder after years of sexual harassment since joining the RCMP in 1991.

In describing the impact of Ray's actions on their lives, his victims wrote how they lost their faith in the RCMP.

The statements "were particularly troubling, revealing wounds which...will require some time and attention to heal," said the three senior RCMP officers who participated in the disciplinary hearing.

"It will take considerable effort to rebuild the damaged trust in our organization."

In their sentencing, the officers considered Ray's high ranking and position at the time and the "serial, repetitive nature of the acts."

"Staff Sgt. Ray should have known better," said their report. "Our organization relies upon its senior [non-commissioned officers] to set a good example for younger members."

But the board also considered Ray's willingness to admit wrongdoing, his lack of any prior record and his "sincere expressions of regret and remorse."

While the officers said they considered dismissal and a considerable demotion, they relied heavily on a joint submission to reach its decision.

Ray was demoted to sergeant and was posted to British Columbia."
Old 05-12-2014, 07:23 PM

To date there is a class-action lawsuit from at least 282 female RCMP members & civilians alleging sexual harassment. It is one h*** of a stretch from any sane person that these ladies from every province & territory in this land except PEI are complaining with NO MERIT. The culture of the RCMP needs to be changed ASAP. I for one am glad my daughter chose not to join. I would reiterate ad nauseum there are more good than bad but there is enough bad for the need of fundamental change.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
His organization determines employability, the law sets methods for remedy.

I know of several instances where there has been theft and fraud at a workplace and the employers and management handled the situation in exactly the way I have outlined. All men are equal, he deserves the same treatment.
No, I disagree! Police officers and those that uphold the law are held to a higher standard due to the position of trust placed onto them by society.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
No, I disagree! Police officers and those that uphold the law are held to a higher standard due to the position of trust placed onto them by society.
x2......wildandfree has it wrong.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
x2......wildandfree has it wrong.
Quote:
a good Singapore style caning would help too.