Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-26-2016, 07:59 AM

Default Help me choose

In trying to chose which broad head to try this year I have it now narrowed down to two. Grim reaper expandables OR Slick Tricks. I used the G5 strikers before and took my bull elk with it but want to try something different. After hitting the offside shoulder blade with them one of the blades shattered. Not a big issue as I still have my elk, but they also didn't fly like a field point.

I know the grim reapers have great reviews and want to try them but am really Leary of using expandables. Slick tricks also have great reviews. I guess I just want a broad head that flies like a field point but also reliable.

Which would you choose between the two?
Old 01-26-2016, 08:03 AM

Poundage and draw length?
Old 01-26-2016, 08:10 AM

60 pounds, 28 inch
Old 01-26-2016, 09:25 AM

Surprised on Striker blade breaking shot thru half dozen hogs...elk...fence post after pass thru...never had one break...but I guess there is always exceptions to the rule...

I am simular in your situation...My G5 125gr Strikers fly very nice and do the job well as mentioned...my only issue is if the shot is higher than bottom third of animal ...blood trail will be minimal

I have also been contemplating Grim reaper expandables OR Slick Tricks.
but am also leary of expandables and want to stay with fixed...so my choice is I am going to play with the slick tricks this year...

Now the issue is my choice the Magnum, Grizztrick 2 or even the Vipertrick looks kind of neat...for my likeing the Grizz would be ultimate with bigger cut...but concerned on strength and plane-ing at further distances..

With my personal choice a 1-1/8 cut on any head is minimal which is the Magnum... Times 2..for a total of 2 1/4 cutting surface per..

Watching many shooters I have to say the Slick trick is the best flying four blade I have ever saw..with excellent results..

Old school solid four blades were a nightmare to make fly...however most were solid blade..

Will definitely play with all three this spring...

Long winded vote for Slick tricks on your choices

Neil
Old 01-26-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Surprised on Striker blade breaking shot thru half dozen hogs...elk...fence post after pass thru...never had one break...but I guess there is always exceptions to the rule...

I am simular in your situation...My G5 125gr Strikers fly very nice and do the job well as mentioned...my only issue is if the shot is higher than bottom third of animal ...blood trail will be minimal
I have also been contemplating Grim reaper expandables OR Slick Tricks.
but am also leary of expandables and want to stay with fixed...so my choice is I am going to play with the slick tricks this year...

Now the issue is my choice the Magnum, Grizztrick 2 or even the Vipertrick looks kind of neat...for my likeing the Grizz would be ultimate with bigger cut...but concerned on strength and plane-ing at further distances..

With my personal choice a 1-1/8 cut on any head is minimal which is the Magnum... Times 2..for a total of 2 1/4 cutting surface per..

Watching many shooters I have to say the Slick trick is the best flying four blade I have ever saw..with excellent results..

Old school solid four blades were a nightmare to make fly...however most were solid blade..

Will definitely play with all three this spring...

Long winded vote for Slick tricks on your choices

Neil
Thats funny because I hit my elk in the top third with my Striker and yep......no blood whatsoever.....It was quite the tracking job for three of us to find him. Only reason we did find him was because I magically somehow saw a pin ***** of a drop of blood from where we lost his last blood spot in the direction of travel he went. All in all it took over 3 hours to find him.

As for the broadhead, I am also leaning more towards the slick tricks and think I will go with those. Leaning more towards to standards however. I like the lower profile vs the magnums. maybe I'll buy one of each. Im basing all of my information on the internet so I wont know much more until i see how they fly.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:59 AM
Banned

I'm switching this year too, from swhacker 2 blade to the 3 blade, so far so good, Flys very close to my field points, also bought the 3 pack of practice blades so I have 4 in total to play with so I don't beat the poo out of the real ones. With any luck I'll have a real world test this spring on a bruin. Never tried the grim reaper but the reviews seem to very good. They have a lot of choices there now too.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
Thats funny because I hit my elk in the top third with my Striker and yep......no blood whatsoever.....It was quite the tracking job for three of us to find him. Only reason we did find him was because I magically somehow saw a pin ***** of a drop of blood from where we lost his last blood spot in the direction of travel he went. All in all it took over 3 hours to find him.

As for the broadhead, I am also leaning more towards the slick tricks and think I will go with those. Leaning more towards to standards however. I like the lower profile vs the magnums. maybe I'll buy one of each. Im basing all of my information on the internet so I wont know much more until i see how they fly.
over the latter years we have found with bows advancing to the 300 FPS and faster the industry saw the need for low profile heads...The no bloodtrail is not unique to the Strikers...but to all the low profile heads in general [exceptions to the rule] ...any low profile head hit in top two thirds of body with a modern bow blisters thru and massive interal hemorrhage and leaves little for exturnal bleeding or a blood trail...

However the bigger cut will provide both...

I try to stay away from any head with less than 1 1/8 cutting ..

The Slick Trick Magnums are 1-1/8 cut....now if you think about it thats less than 1/16 per blade wider but at least 1/8 bigger cut...it all helps...

Of course theres exceptions to the rule...I have taken elk with a 7/8 head, also a mule buck I shot with a 7/8 head had a garden hose spray bloodtrail...

Neil
Old 01-26-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
60 pounds, 28 inch
With those specs and a properly tuned bow, the reapers would be fine. I had a pass thru on my bull moose this year at 43 yards shooting 60 lbs at 29 inch draw on 335 IBO bow
Old 01-26-2016, 01:28 PM

I love my Grims and wont be changing until I find a need to. I have no hesitation recommending them to any one and just advise to never use them as practice heads( they make practice heads for a reason) and always make sure they are assembled properly.

I use the 1 3/8 razorcut SS ( used the razortip previously ) and have had nothing but amazing results. Last buck paved a 6' wide path of blood for all 40 yards it went.

I have lost arrows with them however as the pass thrus keep going. Think my last one flew into a river....
Old 01-26-2016, 04:50 PM

I'm going to try the 4 blade Grizz tricks,they have a 1 1/4 " cut.Anyone else killed anything with these?
Old 01-26-2016, 06:09 PM

Grim Reapers....you could ask the animals I have shot, but dead critters tell no tales.

LC
Old 01-26-2016, 07:42 PM

I've shot them from 58-67 lbs into just over 10 critters. Stick with the 1 3/8" and you will do fine.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:13 PM

my vote is for slick tricks. I shot an elk with the 1 1/8th magnums last fall, the broadhead struck a rib going in and completely broke the rib in two, went through the vitals and exited out through another rib breaking it in half. four blade cuts going in and four coming out. i was very impressed that it was still cutting after going through two elk ribs.

another arrow i shot through a bear hit the metal 45gal drum behind the bear. the arrow broke in half but the broadhead was totally fine! i actually cleaned it up, put it on a new arrow and its in my quiver still sharp enough to cut if you touch it wrong.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:29 PM

Which expandables have the rubber ring as opposed to the hard plastic?
Old 01-26-2016, 10:01 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenneS View Post
Which expandables have the rubber ring as opposed to the hard plastic?
I shoot the Wasp Jak Hammers and Jak Knifes, they have the rubber ring. They are a very similar head to the GR, I think the Jaks have slightly thicker blades.
Some Rocket broadheads also utilize the rubber rings.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:22 AM

When I run out of strikers, which have been great so far, im giving the grim reapers a try. Fresh pack just waiting to be used. Just hope the passthroughs come as easy
Old 01-27-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmaksymyk View Post
When I run out of strikers, which have been great so far, im giving the grim reapers a try. Fresh pack just waiting to be used. Just hope the passthroughs come as easy
Last 3 elk (15,35,40 yards) have all had pass throughs and awesome blood trails with quick recoveries, shots were all double lung (broad side or quartering away) staying away from big bone. Grim Reaper Razortips 100gr.

Make sure they are assembled correctly and test each blade for opening and closing. Also use a NEW broadhead or blades, set aside certain ones for practice only. The blades need to be brand new for best results, as is for all broadheads.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-27-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:00 AM

I stay away from mech heads. Only reason when I build arrows I build to what I call T.A.P. total arrow performance. This means I build arrows for the bad shot. Bone. And do everything I can to not make that bad shot.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:33 AM

Did a broadhead review thread last year...
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=261688

APA viper nano, 70 lbs
Shot a small whitetail doe in October with the slick trick magnum, it worked as expected. Steep angle 5 yard shot, cut ribs in and out, low exit, massive blood trail, deer down in <5 seconds. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, didn't get an opportunity to test on moose.

I will stay with the slick tricks, very happy with their long range flight and extra cutting surface.

Anything mechanical will fail eventually. Yeah I know compounds are mechanical...but rests and broadheads shouldn't be
Old 01-27-2016, 08:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Last 3 elk (15,35,40 yards) have all had pass throughs and awesome blood trails with quick recoveries, shots were all double lung (broad side or quartering away) staying away from big bone. Grim Reaper Razortips 100gr.

Make sure they are assembled correctly and test each blade for opening and closing. Also use a NEW broadhead or blades, set aside certain ones for practice only. The blades need to be brand new for best results, as is for all broadheads.

LC
Geeze I'm gonna have to go elk hunting with you, your not tying them up are you? Lol
Old 01-27-2016, 08:47 AM

Of those two I would go with the NAP Spitfire.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
Of those two I would go with the NAP Spitfire.
??? Huh lol
Old 01-27-2016, 11:43 AM

I personally shoot the 100 gr. Magnum Slick Tricks and I have never had an issue with them. Ive practised up to 60 yards with one and it flew very similar to my field points. If You like the concept of a fixed broad head then i definitely recommend shooting a slick trick. If I have one complaint, it would be that they tend to leave a smaller blood trail than normal. If you are interested with an expandable broad head then grim reapers aren't a bad call at all. If you are open to another suggestion I would recommend looking at the Rage Hypodermics. Leave wicked trails and like a grim reaper, make a great slice. Hope this helps!
Old 01-27-2016, 12:58 PM

I switched to Viper Tricks past 3 yrs 2 bull moose and 2 antelope all pass thru's flew great
Never used an expandable but wac'em has a new one coming out shortly looks very nice.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
I switched to Viper Tricks past 3 yrs 2 bull moose and 2 antelope all pass thru's flew great
Never used an expandable but wac'em has a new one coming out shortly looks very nice.
I like the looks of those viper tricks!
Old 01-27-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I like the looks of those viper tricks!
I used them for my Alberta Mule Deer last year. Work great on an 18 yard shot. Cleaned the head off, resharpened and back in my quiver.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:19 PM

My last 4 bull moose and last 3 elk have been harvested with grim refers and I have yet to have a "failure" . My hunting partner has had the same success; blood trails that a blind man could follow.

The grim reaper razor tip is the bomb. If you pay attention to the assembly instructions and make a good shot they will not let you down.

Norm
Old 02-07-2016, 03:13 PM

Which ones do you think look the coolest? Then buy those ones... As long as your bow is tuned well both of those broadheads you've suggested would do the job just fine, provided you are practicing and make a well placed shot.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:16 AM

I know I will be sticking with the slick trick magnums after 2 successful kills with them last year. First kill was a moose front on at 20 feet second was a muley buck at 40 yards. The moose was dead no matter what broadhead but the muley jumped the string quartering away. The arrow hit the back femur at 40 yards and destroyed it. Found the buck and second shot put him down. Upon field dressing I found the first arrow had snapped off and was poking the diaphram all blades intact and still razor sharp. The femur and hind quarter looked like I shot it with a 30-06. That was my experience, needles to say I will be sticking with the slick trick magnums. They fly identical to my field points as well. Just my .02
Old 02-28-2016, 10:21 AM

I've had excellent results with the reapers as well, but like everyone says assemble them properly.