Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Well, I found time to drop by TFH today, and I grabbed two of those Zebco reels that are on sale. It's nothing spectacular, but for $6.95 I won't complain. It obviously has some plastic parts, and the drag isn't super smooth, but I'm sure they'll make okay ice fishing reels

I'll maybe post a couple pics of one of them later since I couldn't find anything about them on the net.

Thanks for letting me know about that sale Wayne!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-04-2009, 06:00 PM

no problem, they should have the sale price on the website, but guess its too much work to keep up to date. I looked at some icerod reel combos today at wallyworld, I think the reel would suit me for an ultralight rod, holds a lot of 4 pound test so I may have to pick one up after Im back to work. No income for a month kinda sucks darn bills just keep coming!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-04-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
no problem, they should have the sale price on the website, but guess its too much work to keep up to date. I looked at some icerod reel combos today at wallyworld, I think the reel would suit me for an ultralight rod, holds a lot of 4 pound test so I may have to pick one up after Im back to work. No income for a month kinda sucks darn bills just keep coming!
Funny thing about prices on their website...the Quantum reel I got a week or two ago was on sale as one of their 'Hot Deals' on their website, but were marked with the regular price in the store. When they scanned it, it came up with the right price, but that's not the point...

Anyway, here's a couple pics of the reel.

For $6.95 I don't think you can go wrong

I don't know if I'd pay the regular price for it...the plastic crank handle is a bit of a turnoff.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-04-2009, 10:11 PM

how many did they have in stock?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:21 PM

Not entirely sure, I want to say they had at least half a dozen left.

They have a bunch of those Quantum reels there too, and I think they may still have them on sale for $20.

I can't guarantee that though because the website has them at regular price again. See the previous comments regarding prices on their site

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 PM

Jay those will work beauty for Whites and perch .
Old 11-05-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Jay those will work beauty for Whites and perch .
Nice...that's kinda what I was thinking...at least for the perch. Didn't even think of whites since I've never caught one. I have caught a bunch of tulibee back in the day, but I don't think they're quite the same.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 PM

In my opinion instant anti-reverse is crucial. To test this, crank the reel as if you were reeling in, then stop and try to reel in the opposite direction (make sure it's not on free spool!). If the crank will move at all back in the other direction, there will be play in your line when you get a bite or go to set the hook. That little bit of slack can mean a big loss of feel and sensitivity which can lead to lost fish. It's a small detail that makes a big difference.