Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
In Archery, not nearly as big as you think.
I'll say it again... it's a big world russ.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:34 AM

Here's a couple of legitamite questions :

1)With the invention of mechanical draws on crossbows where do they fit on the storage and saftey level. There to big to fit in an average safe, and any 12 year old could essentially get one cocked, loaded and fired.

b) Would you have to have a trigger locked,In cased and store the bolts seperate?

2) Where do pistol crossbow fit in to the mix, like the vulcan pistol xbow?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:37 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Here's a couple of legitamite questions :

1)With the invention of mechanical draws on crossbows where do they fit on the storage and saftey level. There to big to fit in an average safe, and any 12 year old could essentially get one cocked, loaded and fired.

b) Would you have to have a trigger locked,In cased and store the bolts seperate?
They aren't a firearm so there are no safe storage regulations. Pretty much the same as the kitchen knives or claw hammers that the 12 year olds have access to Plus from what I've read in another thread, 12 year olds that aren't too weak and lazy can easily pull a 40-pound compound which also has no safe storage requirements....other than common sense I guess.

Quote:
2) Where do pistol crossbow fit in to the mix, like the vulcan pistol xbow?
All of the following are prohibited devices in Canada:
· "crossbow", with a stock of 400 mm or less.

Last edited by sheephunter; 04-16-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:42 AM

And pistol crossbows are prohibited in Canada, I am pretty certain unless there has been changes in the last couple years.

Sheephunters edit covered that ,sorry.

Last edited by Chevy 454; 04-16-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: already stated
Old 04-16-2010, 11:44 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy 454 View Post
And pistol croosbows are prohibited in Canada, I am pretty certain unless there has been changes in the last couple years.
Yup, just looked up the wording in the federal legislation and added to post above.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
They aren't a firearm so there are no safe storage regulations. Pretty much the same as the kitchen knives or claw hammers that the 12 year olds have access to
Thanx sheep, but, there is still a real concern there with children and mechanical drawing mechanisms, and the draw of dad's kool toy,I'm sure you can appreciate that concern!

And the Pistol xbows?? Edit..ok, do you have a link plz
Old 04-16-2010, 11:46 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Thanx sheep, but, there is still a real concern there with children and mechanical drawing mechanisms, and the draw of dad's kool toy,I'm sure you can appreciate that concern!

And the Pistol xbows??
Edited my post above with answers to both of your questions!

Quote:
Edit..ok, do you have a link plz
Google is your friend as well as mine!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:52 AM

Potty, my 175 lb Crossbow, with a rope-draw aid, is 87.5 lbs of draw.

The only cocking aid that could draw it with less effort is a crank. Then it would need to be locked in some manner, but also quite difficult to do for a small child. I would be more concerned with my kid getting my hunting knife.

As a kid, I had access to all my fathers guns at an early age...I am still here.

Another thing to consider, when a crossbow is "loaded" there is no doubt about it. You can see the bolt on top of it. Crossbows have a lot of safety built into them, just by the nature of the design.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghglenn View Post
Potty, my 175 lb Crossbow, with a rope-draw aid, is 87.5 lbs of draw.

The only cocking aid that could draw it with less effort is a crank. Then it would need to be locked in some manner, but also quite difficult to do for a small child. I would be more concerned with my kid getting my hunting knife.

Understood, but as a new father, it's food for thought for me.

As a kid, I had access to all my fathers guns at an early age...I am still here.

Unfortunatley many aren't, perhaps your father did a better job educating you than some unfortunate people.

Another thing to consider, when a crossbow is "loaded" there is no doubt about it. You can see the bolt on top of it. Crossbows have a lot of safety built into them, just by the nature of the design.
I'm sure they do, but kids seem to figure things out quicker than we think now a days.

Maybe they would be safer if they didn't have an aid???

Thx.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:01 PM

I replaced a string on a crossbow 2 weeks ago - apparently he couldn't see that there wasn't a bolt on it and let 'er rip

On the safety thing, I was taught from day one - never trust the safety - assume it doesn't work and weapon is loaded.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:02 PM

Honestly, trigger-locks would be the simplest solution.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:05 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I replaced a string on a crossbow 2 weeks ago - apparently he couldn't see that there wasn't a bolt on it and let 'er rip

On the safety thing, I was taught from day one - never trust the safety - assume it doesn't work and weapon is loaded.
Ya, no one has ever dry fired and compound bow either....

Carlessness knows no bounds.

As for your second point, always good advice...even when carrying scissors
Old 04-16-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Ya, no one has ever dry fired and compound bow either....

Carlessness knows no bounds.
In the context of the post previous to it, it needed to be pointed out. After all, if a person can miss something as important as a bolt NOT being there, there is nothing to say they'd notice one on the x-bow either.

As far as, empty dry fires on other bows - happens all the time. I won't allow people in my presence to draw a bow with a release & no arrow. Dry firing can be a very dangerous event.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:16 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
In the context of the post previous to it, it needed to be pointed out. After all, if a person can miss something as important as a bolt NOT being there, there is nothing to say they'd notice one on the x-bow either.

As far as, empty dry fires on other bows - happens all the time. I won't allow people in my presence to draw a bow with a release & no arrow. Dry firing can be a very dangerous event.
And I've seen the results of people trying to shoot a ramrod out of a muzzleloader. Carlessness knows no bounds. You can't blame stupidity on the tool! Like any device that fires a projectile, some common sense and few rules of safety go a long ways.......same as devices that don't fire a projectile...like scissors. There was a reason your Mom told you not to run with them..
Old 04-16-2010, 12:26 PM
sheephunter

Tool's fault or operator error (stupidity/carelessness)

I'd tend to blame the operator but I guess some could use it as an example of why we should ban compound bows.....

http://www.ssqq.com/archive/stupidity%20arrowhead.htm
Old 04-16-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
And I've seen the results of people trying to shoot a ramrod out of a muzzleloader. Carlessness knows no bounds. You can't blame stupidity on the tool! Like any device that fires a projectile, some common sense and few rules of safety go a long ways.......same as devices that don't fire a projectile...like scissors. There was a reason your Mom told you not to run with them..
It's great to have a parent show you the ropes, what about the ones that weren't educatedor have a equal chance.....
Quote:
Tool's fault or operator error (stupidity/carelessness)

Tools faults....should be child safe always.

I'd tend to blame the operator but I guess some could use it as an example of why we should ban compound bows.....

Would you say that to someone who lost a child!!!!..........Not your best answers........ugh
http://www.ssqq.com/archive/stupidity%20arrowhead.htm
Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
It's great to have a parent show you the ropes, what about the ones that weren't educatedor have a equal chance.....
Potty, it's sad to see you so desperately grasping at straws......why not stick to the facts. Desperate is not a colour you wear well. I'm off to power rake the lawn...and yes, I will be careful.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:52 PM

I like facts but there is no use getting in a war to see who can dig up the next usless fact. I don't don't believe in a special crossbow season or muzzloader season because I am against the commercialization of hunting in Alberta, the Wildtv syndrome. I don't think for one minute that all bowhunters are elitists that put themselves above other hunters. Thats a pretty weak stance, or that all bowhunters think crossbow hunters are drunken slobs (that one cracks me up). I just think at the end of the day non-bowhunters want a piece of the september sky. I think some people on both sides have agendas. I don't like it and I am afraid if this goes through what's next?
Old 04-16-2010, 01:54 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Would you say that to someone who lost a child!!!!..........Not your best answers........ugh
I actually had to come back in and answer this Potty as your reasoning and response reminds me so much of those uninformed gun haters that every time there is a school shooting, they parade to poor child's lifeless body around like it was some prize in their fight to increase gun control. Now, we are talking about crossbows in an archery hunting season and you are parading some fictitious dead child's body around like a prize to bolster your arguement. Do you have any idea how desperate and pathetic that looks? Let's maybe stick to the facts. I'm sure if our Liberal, gun hating politicians would have seen the need to classify crossbows as firearms they would have. In fact they tried but even they bowed to the facts when presented with them. You, should really brush up on your history a bit.

Not often I get upset on this forum potty...but you've nearly succeeeded. I'm sure Alberta's archers are proud to call you one of their own. As an Alberta archer, I'm distancing myself from you by as many miles as I can. The end!
Old 04-16-2010, 01:56 PM
sheephunter

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
I don't think for one minute that all bowhunters are elitists that put themselves above other hunters. Thats a pretty weak stance, or that all bowhunters think crossbow hunters are drunken slobs (that one cracks me up). QUOTE]
I agree totally gman...it just seems those are the ones attracting all of the attention and the ones the decision makers are talking about.....ugh
Old 04-16-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Potty, it's sad to see you so desperately grasping at straws......why not stick to the facts. Desperate is not a colour you wear well. I'm off to power rake the lawn...and yes, I will be careful.
Sorry sheep, the fact is you said it! and your coming off looking bad, to alot of people I showed this too!

Comments about tragedies involving people,especially kids, don't sit well with me and others!

Edit..your comments were directed towards operators of weapons in general.......

Say what you want I'm done!!!!:....

Have better day!!
Old 04-16-2010, 02:05 PM

I agree with Sheep. Potty, please keep posting!
Old 04-16-2010, 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=sheephunter;565598]
Quote:
I agree totally gman...it just seems those are the ones attracting all of the attention and the ones the decision makers are talking about.....ugh
I would hope that who ever makes these decisons will look through that. When a decison like this is hashed out usually you will have two points of view that will be out on both sides. On point of view will be the muzzloader crossbow guys saying that he is jealous of the bowhunters and so on. The other side will have some bowhunter making an elitist comment. AND hopefully in the middle you will have good educated points of view from both sides.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:27 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
[I would hope that who ever makes these decisons will look through that. When a decison like this is hashed out usually you will have two points of view that will be out on both sides. AND hopefully in the middle you will have good educated points of view from both sides.
One can only hope gman...one can only hope.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:29 PM

If it's all about rifle guys wanting some of the September hunting..Boy I have a trade offer!

How about the archery world trades the third week of September to the rifle guys for the third week of November?

The grass is always greener on the other side...
Old 04-16-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
If it's all about rifle guys wanting some of the September hunting..Boy I have a trade offer!

How about the archery world trades the third week of September to the rifle guys for the third week of November?
No thanks - I can already use my bow in all of November.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:12 PM

Pottymouth, if you are going to quote posters on this board, leave the quote as that. If you are going to put your own text into those quotes, as if the OP had said it originally, there will be a time-out coming your way.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:21 PM

Default Archery

Cross bow hunting is going to be the Way of the Future in Alberta,so best get use to it being Around.Dont Fight the inevitable!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 03:26 PM

Excuse my ignorance as I haven't gotten into bow hunting yet but don't bow hunters have to get a "bow hunting licence"? If so would the new changes require cross box hunters to take the same course?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:29 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
Excuse my ignorance as I haven't gotten into bow hunting yet but don't bow hunters have to get a "bow hunting licence"? If so would the new changes require cross box hunters to take the same course?
No such thing as a required bow hunting course in Alberta but you are correct that you do require a bowhunting licence but all you need to get it is cash.
Closed Thread