Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-08-2018, 10:38 AM
Banned

Default The wait is almost over

After ordering a Nula in 6.5 Creedmoor over a year ago the wait is almost over, and it couldn't have come at a better time!

It was a tough call on the choice of cartridge. First it was a 7mm-08, then it was a 6.5x284, then 260ai, and finally settling on a 6.5 Creedmoor. With Melvin moving up in years I wanted a model 20 to get a "true" Melvin Forbes ultralight rifle. Even with it being a custom order Nula there were still a bit of limitations that prevented me from getting a 6.5x284 Norma in a short action model 20. Then there was barrel life to take into consideration as well as shootability. I want this to be my do all go to rifle and plan on running a lot of lead through the pipe. Although I have all the equipment and enjoy reloading, I wanted a cartridge I can buy relatively cheap ammo for in most stores. With the versatility of the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge, it's sky rocketing popularity, it being relatively easy on barrels and shoulders, I came to the conclusion that this would be my best option.

The rifle has now cleared customs and is en route to Prophet River! With any luck I will have it in my hands within a week, which is really welcome news in light of the fact I recently broke my leg and had surgery on it so I am semi confined to my house at least until my incisions heal and I get the stitches out to prevent the risk of infection. I'll have plenty of time to look my new addition over butt to tip!

Pics to come once it arrives!
Old 05-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Banned

can't wait to see this bad boy, the 6.5 creedmoor is the shizzle, it will take over the world
Old 05-08-2018, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
can't wait to see this bad boy, the 6.5 creedmoor is the shizzle, it will take over the world
Ha! When you look on paper it's quite the cartridge for sure. It outshines the 308 in pretty much every aspect except popularity....... for now. I honestly do believe it will eventually be as popular as the 308 considering it was just developed in 2007.

I enjoy shooting smaller cartridges more than the boomers, I sold off all my magnums and have started a new phase in my collection. I've moved on to strictly light or ultra light rifles, and smaller calibers (nothing over .284). Thinned out the rifle herd to a Ruger No 1 in 270, an M70 featherweight in 280rem, a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 280ai, a Nula model 24 in 280ai, and the new kid on the block, the Nula model 20 in 6.5 Creedmoor, along with a couple model 70 243's, a model 88 308 and a marlin 30-30 from the late 1800's that I don't shoot too often.

I think of all the rifles I have now the 6.5 Creedmoor will see the most use by far. I can't wait to break it in.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Banned

yup, your 280ai will be the magnum of the bunch

you'll need a nula model 20 short in 6.5 Grendel a 1/4 lb lighter and be little brother that creedmoor for even more fun shooting and barrel life up the whazzoo
Old 05-08-2018, 11:53 AM

I almost posted in your that'll leave a mark thread, that you hurting yourself would guarantee your nula would be arriving imminently (since you won't be able to play around with it right away). Decided not to do it, because it seemed somewhat in poor taste. But now that your nula is showing up ....
Old 05-08-2018, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickn View Post
I almost posted in your that'll leave a mark thread, that you hurting yourself would guarantee your nula would be arriving imminently (since you won't be able to play around with it right away). Decided not to do it, because it seemed somewhat in poor taste. But now that your nula is showing up ....

Almost makes the pain go away!
Old 05-08-2018, 01:12 PM

Well congratulations! Looking forward to pictures.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:36 PM

Well Kurt if the Nula shows up and you want someone to do the break In on it give me a call. What scope and rings are you putting on it?
Old 05-08-2018, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Well Kurt if the Nula shows up and you want someone to do the break In on it give me a call. What scope and rings are you putting on it?
You don't know how tempting that sounds! I'm pretty meticulous and I'd have to be there when it gets broken in. I kind of am a bit OCD about the break in. I over do it.

The rifles come with a set of tally light weights fitted on at the factory, and I have a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 BRH waiting to go on. It's the same scope I settled on for my model 24. I figure it's about the perfect mix of quality, reticle, magnification, and weight out of any other scope I've owned or own. At just a hair over 11oz's and with a 3-10 magnification range and a 42mm objective, not many other scopes compare!
Old 05-09-2018, 07:26 PM

Looking forward to the pictures!

I've hunted for 15 years without a sling. I always carry the rifle while walking to still hunt and much prefer that. A nula should be on my list!

I do feel the 6.5creedmoor is the next .308 as well. It is being chambered everywhere by all rifle manufacturers. People like that it closely matches a .300 win mag as far as drop and wind. With bullet advancements the penetration is quite amazing.

Good choice!
Old 06-11-2018, 07:24 PM
Banned

Default I Got The Call!!!

I got the call, I finally got the call! My rifle is at Prophet River and was shipped to its new home today. Gave my deposit December 2016, finalized the specifics of the build on February 2017, finally will see the finished product in the next day or two, and with all I've been dealing with lately, I couldn't ask for a better time to receive it.

I feel like a kid the night befor Christmas!!!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I got the call, I finally got the call! My rifle is at Prophet River and was shipped to its new home today. Gave my deposit December 2016, finalized the specifics of the build on February 2017, finally will see the finished product in the next day or two, and with all I've been dealing with lately, I couldn't ask for a better time to receive it.

I feel like a kid the night befor Christmas!!!
Ohhh and then the long anxious day of seeing if your rifle likes the eld's or not! Im sure youll love it either way.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Ohhh and then the long anxious day of seeing if your rifle likes the eld's or not! Im sure youll love it either way.

What if it likes them.......
Old 06-12-2018, 07:58 AM
Banned

oh man that's exciting!

does that swaro scope do dial up? what does the brh stand for?
Old 06-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
oh man that's exciting!

does that swaro scope do dial up? what does the brh stand for?

It's not a dial it's a B ballistic R reticle I think that's what the BR stands for and then the H is either heavy or hunting because they have a BRX reticle which has a fine reticle for target. I had a Z5 with the BRX reticle and even though I have good eyesight I found it too fine for hunting.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
It's not a dial it's a B ballistic R reticle I think that's what the BR stands for and then the H is either heavy or hunting because they have a BRX reticle which has a fine reticle for target. I had a Z5 with the BRX reticle and even though I have good eyesight I found it too fine for hunting.
i'd say throw an fx2 6x36 wide duplex with a standard 7/8" target knob installed and when you're done finding it's load, collect it's drop and have kenton zip you up a speed dial knob to match and away you go...10 oz on the nose, add 1 oz for alumina flip caps to complete the package....just saying

i have one waiting for such a project, talk me out of it if you like, i've been working on a few other projects so could be another 5 or 10 before i go after my creed, which may just be a barrel for my k95 anyway and that's the scope i'll be using, pm me your number and i'll flip ya pics including on the scale if you'd like to see exact weights, size compared to other scopes etc.

i did the lr duplex reticle thing for awhile and it's good but end of day i want to range and dial then worry about wind, the big thing is i don't want to remember what magnification i'm on and mess that up, i know the holds at max magnification but inevitably i'll have it at the wrong mag at some point...my sheep rig is vx3 2.5-8 and it always stays on 8x to be safe and zero is 250, first dot 350, second dot 450, post thickens at 550 with a .270 win and 140 ab's...it's well matched but realize now i could it all with an fx2 6x36 to 600 plus and just dial more accurately, and be a little lighter in weight too, it would suit your nula better also

hand it to anyone with a rangefinder and same thing...range and dial, keep the dust cap on for regular hunting to stay on zero, zip off the cap for a longer poke

don't put a 42mm tank on that sleek little nula short action , well maybe for development sure, but not final hunt set up
Old 06-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Banned

surprisingly the 8x isn't a big deal on it either, for deer or otherwise, wouldn't want it for coyote calling but that's it, so the fixed 6 would get a guy to 600 ish pretty easy on big game as shooting to 600 with 8x has been no issue on targets either

one of my grendels is going old school with fixed 4 same set up, should suit the cartridge perfectly
Old 06-12-2018, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
i'd say throw an fx2 6x36 wide duplex with a standard 7/8" target knob installed and when you're done finding it's load, collect it's drop and have kenton zip you up a speed dial knob to match and away you go...10 oz on the nose, add 1 oz for alumina flip caps to complete the package....just saying

i have one waiting for such a project, talk me out of it if you like, i've been working on a few other projects so could be another 5 or 10 before i go after my creed, which may just be a barrel for my k95 anyway and that's the scope i'll be using, pm me your number and i'll flip ya pics including on the scale if you'd like to see exact weights, size compared to other scopes etc.

i did the lr duplex reticle thing for awhile and it's good but end of day i want to range and dial then worry about wind, the big thing is i don't want to remember what magnification i'm on and mess that up, i know the holds at max magnification but inevitably i'll have it at the wrong mag at some point...my sheep rig is vx3 2.5-8 and it always stays on 8x to be safe and zero is 250, first dot 350, second dot 450, post thickens at 550 with a .270 win and 140 ab's...it's well matched but realize now i could it all with an fx2 6x36 to 600 plus and just dial more accurately, and be a little lighter in weight too, it would suit your nula better also

hand it to anyone with a rangefinder and same thing...range and dial, keep the dust cap on for regular hunting to stay on zero, zip off the cap for a longer poke

don't put a 42mm tank on that sleek little nula short action , well maybe for development sure, but not final hunt set up
I've used both turret and ballistic reticles and prefer the ballistic reticles. I've been using them for the past 6 or 8 years and it's what I'm used to. I have a Swarovski Z3 with the 42mm tank on my other Nula and it's a perfect combination of weight, field of view, magnification, clarity, and power in my opinion.

Here's a sneak peak of the new iron. Hopefully I'll be able to mount my scope on it later this evening.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Banned

Couple more now that I have the scope mounted. The pictures with the flash show the true color better.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:00 PM

Very nice rifle, and a nice scope too. The Swarovski Z3 is kinda like an american/euro hybrid, all the lightweight and tidy profile of a Leupold VX-3i or cheaper like a or Bushnell Elite, but with Euro quality glass. Even the street price of $899 that they're going for now makes them a no brainer if you want a traditional american style scope.

Personally, I like 2.5x fpr the bottom end on a general usage big game scope, but 3x is workable too. I have come to this guideline after one incident where a buddy wounded a buck and we had to track it through the woods, I had to make a snap neck shot at 10-12 yards while standing on a fallen tree.... I'll give up top end but that was one situation where a shot simply had to be made quickly, at short range, and in heavy cover.

For high altitude sheep hunting and the like, I'm sure that a 4-16 or 5-20, etc. is not likely at all to be a problem, but for a general use scope, I'll be hard to convince.

A fixed 6x would have been a pretty big impediment in the above scenario imo, and though it's possible that I'm never in a similar situation, it makes me feel better to be ready for it.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:32 PM

Very nice rifle KURT and the scope looks like a good choice,wish you a great hunting season.Best of luck with the new rifle,but I am sure you will make your own luck.

JD
Old 06-12-2018, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
Very nice rifle, and a nice scope too. The Swarovski Z3 is kinda like an american/euro hybrid, all the lightweight and tidy profile of a Leupold VX-3i or cheaper like a or Bushnell Elite, but with Euro quality glass. Even the street price of $899 that they're going for now makes them a no brainer if you want a traditional american style scope.

Personally, I like 2.5x fpr the bottom end on a general usage big game scope, but 3x is workable too. I have come to this guideline after one incident where a buddy wounded a buck and we had to track it through the woods, I had to make a snap neck shot at 10-12 yards while standing on a fallen tree.... I'll give up top end but that was one situation where a shot simply had to be made quickly, at short range, and in heavy cover.

For high altitude sheep hunting and the like, I'm sure that a 4-16 or 5-20, etc. is not likely at all to be a problem, but for a general use scope, I'll be hard to convince.

A fixed 6x would have been a pretty big impediment in the above scenario imo, and though it's possible that I'm never in a similar situation, it makes me feel better to be ready for it.
Thanks JD!

I had the VX6 2-12 and loved that scope but it's pretty heavy, I gave up 7oz of weight to go with the Z3 3-10 but I don't think it'll cost me any missed opportunities. I don't want a fixed power scope because I like to crank it down in low light or tight quarters and crank it up in the wide open spaces because I could be hunting either on any given day.

I can't wait to get this rifle out on the bench with a couple boxes of bullets and a bunch of patches and get it broken in.

Here is the Model 24 280ai 24" #2 contour 1-9 twist barrel next to the Model 20 6.5 Creedmoor 22" #1 contour 1-8 twist barrel. There's supposed to be a 1/2 pound difference between the two but it feels like there's more, I'll throw them on the scale and see in a bit.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:31 PM
Banned

Congrats, Beauty pair!
Old 06-12-2018, 11:16 PM

Man, I don't often get jealous over the internet, but that's a nice pair of lightweight hunting rifles. I'll give you $5,000 for the pair ;-)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
Man, I don't often get jealous over the internet, but that's a nice pair of lightweight hunting rifles. I'll give you $5,000 for the pair ;-)

Haha, well I think I'm going to have to pass I bought 2 Nula's because I've got 2 boys to pass them down to. I think this will be the last one..... unless of course we have another baby, but I think we're pretty much done with that.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:23 AM

Great looking guns. Enjoy the new "toy".😀
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 06-13-2018, 05:46 AM

Really great rifles buddy! Dean2 steered you well. But where in heck are the clips?????
Old 06-13-2018, 05:47 AM

Oh ya, as a friend, I am offering to sight that gun in for you. I know your leg is still messed, so I am more than happy to help out.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Oh ya, as a friend, I am offering to sight that gun in for you. I know your leg is still messed, so I am more than happy to help out.
I'm not opposed to having you join me at my range
Old 06-13-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I'm not opposed to having you join me at my range
That would be fun. You moving yet or is it still sponge baths?