Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 02:58 PM

Was out at CVR for 5 hours on Sunday. Had about 18" of good ice. A few trucks out. We saw fish on the camera, and had some sniffers on the 'Bird, but not a single fish hooked (never mind iced...) so it was a super depressing day.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:09 PM

Default South Buck Lake

I was just wondering if anyone has been able to drive on South Buck? Are you driving on from the North side access? We usually go on the south east boat launch at the end of RR.462A but last year we got stuck, to much snow and big drifts. It's mostly locals on that side not much of a track. Thanks for any info.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Was out at CVR for 5 hours on Sunday. Had about 18" of good ice. A few trucks out. We saw fish on the camera, and had some sniffers on the 'Bird, but not a single fish hooked (never mind iced...) so it was a super depressing day.

I was there Monday and it wasn’t much better. I caught the same Walleye 3 times and 2 jacks in 8 hrs. Nothing until 4:30, then every hour or 2 after till around 7. I stayed till 9 in vain. So much for the ‘Super Moon’, lol.

I drilled a good 20 holes over a half km and seen one Jack. I think we might be at the peak of the lull.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
I was there Monday and it wasn’t much better. I caught the same Walleye 3 times and 2 jacks in 8 hrs. Nothing until 4:30, then every hour or 2 after till around 7. I stayed till 9 in vain. So much for the ‘Super Moon’, lol.

I drilled a good 20 holes over a half km and seen one Jack. I think we might be at the peak of the lull.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. It was a seriously depressing day for me...one of those "**** it, I'm selling all my gear" kinda days...
Old 01-23-2019, 01:43 PM

Default Thanks for info

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawtty View Post
Burnstick 5-6" ice.
Thanks forreport. Going out Friday. Will be on foot I guess. Thanks for info.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:59 PM

Anyone driving trucks on the PP side of Pigeon?

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. It was a seriously depressing day for me...one of those "**** it, I'm selling all my gear" kinda days...

Glad to hear I’m not the only one who has those days, lol. Sometimes I feel like whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. All the money, time and effort just to catch fish sometimes feels like it’s too much. Yet I can’t get enough of it.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear I’m not the only one who has those days, lol. Sometimes I feel like whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. All the money, time and effort just to catch fish sometimes feels like it’s too much. Yet I can’t get enough of it.
This post seriously makes me feel a lot better...ha ha ha. I 100% relate to what you're saying...cheers.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Anyone driving trucks on the PP side of Pigeon
Also wondering this... I'm hoping to get my shack out there this weekend
Old 01-24-2019, 12:26 PM

Can't comment on the PP side of Pigeon but there is 15 inches of good clear ice and 2-3 inches of white ice on top of it at the mulhurst side

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckon View Post
Thanks forreport. Going out Friday. Will be on foot I guess. Thanks for info.
There was 14 inches of good ice and trucks driving on the south side a few days ago

Old 01-24-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodhead View Post
There was 14 inches of good ice and trucks driving on the south side a few days ago

What the heck is up with the ice not forming at Pigeon. I know it’s been warmer than most years but it should be at least 16-18 already. I’m driving out to the middle on Saturday and hoping it’s thick enough. Really don’t want to take the quad this time. I saw some tents out there last week and was hoping that they were gonna say it’s 15” out there. Lol. Good luck to everyone heading out there this weekend.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
This post seriously makes me feel a lot better...ha ha ha. I 100% relate to what you're saying...cheers.

I was out there today for just a few hours, but aside from finally finding some perch, the bite was even slower. Managed one small Walleye in 4 hours. I’m guessing their only feeding every other day, or once a day. Just a guess, since I haven’t seen a school move in or out in the past 2 trips. Even the Pike are MIA.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I was out there today for just a few hours, but aside from finally finding some perch, the bite was even slower. Managed one small Walleye in 4 hours. I’m guessing their only feeding every other day, or once a day. Just a guess, since I haven’t seen a school move in or out in the past 2 trips. Even the Pike are MIA.
Super weird dude...I might go back in the spring for some tip up pike in one of the bays.....but I'll stick to Eagle and Pine until then
Old 01-30-2019, 07:21 AM

Default Carol side

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong1952 View Post
Was at Carolside Dam (Berry Creek Reservoir) last weekend. There was pretty close to 24" of ice. Several vehicles on the ice.

How was the bite out there?? What are you catching?
Old 01-30-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachapelle View Post
Pike catch and release only
Old 01-30-2019, 06:32 PM

Slave Lake @ Canyon Creek was a mess on Monday night when we came off. Lots of ice but water in the truck tracks at least a 1/4 up the side of the tires. I hope it can freeze up. Fishing was slow for Slave lake standards.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:59 PM
Banned

South buck 7in clear ice 4in white ice north end
Pigeon pp 18 in good ice looks like some nets are set
Battle lake 11 clear 3 white. Some people driving out, crazy if you ask me . As of today
Old 01-31-2019, 10:57 AM

Anyone been out on Lac la Biche lately? Heading up first thing Friday morning and just curious how the snow and ice conditions are.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
South buck 7in clear ice 4in white ice north end
Pigeon pp 18 in good ice looks like some nets are set
Battle lake 11 clear 3 white. Some people driving out, crazy if you ask me . As of today
I didn’t think there was any netting on Pigeon anymore. Middle of the lake is only 12-13 so drive slow out there.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I didn’t think there was any netting on Pigeon anymore. Middle of the lake is only 12-13 so drive slow out there.
Commercial netting, correct. Sustenance netting not so.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Commercial netting, correct. Sustenance netting not so.
Now we know where to go to pick up some jumbo whites!It would be interesting to see what varieties of fish they pull up.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Now we know where to go to pick up some jumbo whites!It would be interesting to see what varieties of fish they pull up.
Soiler on here was here when they pulled the nets a couple of years ago. I know he mentioned a good variety and some big ones in the net. I fished near the net thinking if they were catching...why not me...
..And fail
Old 02-01-2019, 05:28 PM

Default CVR pike

Quote:

Was out from dawn to 330 on the 13th 14" of ice lost a rod down the hole, chased it around the tent with the auger every time I drilled a new hole the fish took the rod somewhere else until I gave up as he'd taken it out of camera view..... accidentally touched the auger blade to the side of the tent .... *rip*... caught 17 fish all day all pike one walleye, all on smelts jigging and jaw jacker, last fish as I was pulling my spreaders out of my pocket my pliers went across the ice and went down the hole.... all in all a great day of fishing though....
Old 02-01-2019, 09:49 PM

deleted

Last edited by bobalong1952; 02-01-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:00 PM

Default Carolside

I was out 2 weekends in a row, caught around 10 pike each time. Largest around 5-6 pounds. Yes all catch and release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachapelle View Post
Old 02-03-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
Was out from dawn to 330 on the 13th 14" of ice lost a rod down the hole, chased it around the tent with the auger every time I drilled a new hole the fish took the rod somewhere else until I gave up as he'd taken it out of camera view..... accidentally touched the auger blade to the side of the tent .... *rip*... caught 17 fish all day all pike one walleye, all on smelts jigging and jaw jacker, last fish as I was pulling my spreaders out of my pocket my pliers went across the ice and went down the hole.... all in all a great day of fishing though....

Sounds like we both had one of those days, lol. First time I’ve ever dropped something down a hole was a couple weeks ago there. Dropped my scale, then spent an hour fishing it out.
It was just after dusk so I had to use the camera with the light and drilled half a dozen holes in the tent. I got lazy on the last hole and ended up slicing my camera cord.
So spent the next 1/2 hr fishing for the camera.
I managed to get the scale using a magnet after that, and I’ve spliced the camera cable back together.
Last year I decided for some reason to put my best rod/reel in the Jaw Jacker, and the line must have wrapped around the trigger loop or the rod tip. Of course it got chomped by a big pike, and I was 2 steps towards it when I seen the JJ bounce, then flip upside down and the rod vanish through the hole. Now I’m always vigilant in checking the line at the rod tip in a JJ. I find the metal crimp will wrap the line from time to time.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:51 PM

Lac la Biche has 20" of ice north of the mission. Ran into some flood ice in a couple spots. Fishing was very slow

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2019, 08:47 AM

Feb 04, 2019
Crawling Valley.....

Has anyone been brave enough to try CV lately? I am wondering on the ice thickness not for drive on, but whether to buy an extension for my Eskimo 8" auger?

Thanks,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:34 AM

No extension is needed.