Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 03:15 PM
Banned

Fierce is a sako 75 clone, better than the a7
For $2000 or less I would agree with Kurt and go with a ZEISS v4 or the Swarovski z5. The z5 will be lighter. I’d budget for a set of near mounts. They are top notch. Biggest problem people have with the z5’s is over torquing the mounts just a little heads up
Old 01-22-2019, 10:29 PM

Default Kimber or Christensen Arms

Get a Christensen MPR! Folding stock busts it down to 34”” inches or less, depending on the barrel. Fully adjustable LOP and comb...and they look badass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2019, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-Gem View Post
Get a Christensen MPR! Folding stock busts it down to 34”” inches or less, depending on the barrel. Fully adjustable LOP and comb...and they look badass!

Those rifles are surprisingly light
I actually like them
Let me know how it shoots
Old 01-24-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

Those rifles are surprisingly light

I actually like them

Let me know how it shoots

I picked one up in 6.5 PRC just before Christmas. It has a 24” barrel and the bare rifle is just over 8lb. I sold a few of my sporter rifles for it. Just waiting for the scope. By no means a true lightweight rig but that folding stock is worth it IMO. There’s nothing more annoying than having a barrel sticking up above my pack and getting caught on branches.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:56 PM

I think it depends what you want. Both are very nice rifles. I currently own both, and here are my pros and cons.

Ridgeline:
-They are heavier than the mountain ascent, usually coming in just under or just over 8lbs. depending on the scope set up.
-Very accurate, most research I have done would give the clear winner in accuracy to the ridgeline. (again every gun is different, and with that being said I have had both guns shot at corlanes to have turrets build for factory ammo and both shot better than manufacturer's guarentee. but the Kimber actually beat out the ridgeline. from Corlanes shooting anyway.)
- Appearance the ridgeline is the winner for me personally, can't beat the look of a carbon fibre barrel
Trigger- I like light triggers personally, everyone has there own opinion. I like both factory triggers but one thing I like about the ridgeline is the trigger is adjustable without having to remove the stock. This is a nice feature if you plan to do any trigger adjustments. However the manual will tell you have someone qualified do your trigger adjustments so if you adjust be careful and test it for accidental discharges.

Mountain Ascent:
- Light weight comes in with scope under 7lbs. mine is 6 lbs 7oz. with a 1 lbs scope. not having to sacrifice the scope size to reduce weight is nice
-Accuracy can be an issue with Kimbers or at least thats what your research will tell you. can be a bit of a gamble. but if you get one that shoots can be very accurate long range depending on the shooter.
- Does not have a floor plate, so if you want to remove your ammo your only option is cycle them out
- Safety- I think both guns actually have great safety's however I would give the edge to kimber. I really like the 3 stage safety especally cause the only way to eject the ammo is through cycling the action.

Hope this helps. Long story short I think both are great guns, please follow up with us and let us know what you decided. also what caliber you picked.

On that note one more thing. Kimber offers the mountain ascent in a .280 Ackley improved which is a cool caliber in my opinion that seems to be growing. however with that being said, kimber will tell you the internal magazine hold 4 rounds in this caliber. It does but mine will not properly action the round without getting stuck when I have 4 rounds in the gun. The sharp edge of the Ackley cartridge catches. with 3 rounds works just fine. Cheers.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:06 PM

Sorry just realized I was a bit late lol and you have already made up your mind.