Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 08:46 PM

Default Agreed

I agree with almost all of that, but still dont support poison.
Where does this Grizzly bear killing all these critters come from? Did someone follow him around?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:04 AM

What we really need is guys to put the same effort into killing wolves some do now into killing coyotes.

Grizz
Old 01-10-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
I agree with almost all of that, but still dont support poison.
Where does this Grizzly bear killing all these critters come from? Did someone follow him around?
I think he's talking about the study done in Alaska

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/...ootage-reveals
Old 01-10-2019, 09:58 AM

Google “grizzly bears with video equipped collars”. A research team collared 4 bears in Alaska with collars that were triggered to record when the bear hit a certain level of activity. One bear recorded 44 calf kills in 25 days and the other three killed about 30 calves on average.

It’s also interesting to note that the bio’s in Alaska are willing to prove that bears kill enough ungulates to harm the population.

The bear and wolf defenders are partially correct when then say that predators only kill the old and the weak; new born calves are definitely weak.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Banned

I can't see how putting poison into the ecosystem is a good thing. There is too much collateral damage.

If the idea is to help caribou (which I think is the reason), much better to maintain their habitat. If you want to target wolves, put a bounty on them, although frankly, I'm not sure how effective that would be. Most hunters will take a wolf if they get a chance anyways.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:24 PM

The bear cams are great. Can’t wait for the wolf cam.
Nice to see some facts. Maybe pull some people out of a fantasy
Old 01-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Banned

I don't have a problem with wolf reduction in Alberta. The impact they have needs to be controlled .
Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
I can't see how putting poison into the ecosystem is a good thing. There is too much collateral damage.

If the idea is to help caribou (which I think is the reason), much better to maintain their habitat. If you want to target wolves, put a bounty on them, although frankly, I'm not sure how effective that would be. Most hunters will take a wolf if they get a chance anyways.
How is maintaining habitat going to save the caribou now? The wolves are there because the deer, elk, and moose moved in following human development. The wolves are there because of humans, so humans should do the responsible thing and remove the wolves before they kill all of the caribou. The caribou aren't starving to death, they're being eaten. All this Disney-esque rhetoric about the wolves, bears and caribou living in harmony before Europeans arrived makes me want to puke. The forests were mostly devoid of elk, moose, bears and wolves before whitey showed up. I would prefer that we manage the predators now instead of letting them starve out once the caribou and other ungulates are all gone.

There are already bounties on wolves. The bounties aren't working and are no more palatable to the non hunting public than poisoning is.

This thread reminds of the story of bio's wanting to castrate the wolves and the rancher replying "they ain't screwing my cows, they're eating them!"

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-10-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
How is maintaining habitat going to save the caribou now? The wolves are there because the deer, elk, and moose moved in following human development. The wolves are there because of humans, so humans should do the responsible thing and remove the wolves before they kill all of the caribou. The caribou aren't starving to death, they're being eaten. All this Disney-esque rhetoric about the wolves, bears and caribou living in harmony before Europeans arrived makes me want to puke. The forests were mostly devoid of elk, moose, bears and wolves before whitey showed up. I would prefer that we manage the predators now instead of letting them starve out once the caribou and other ungulates are all gone.

There are already bounties on wolves. The bounties aren't working and are no more palatable to the non hunting public than poisoning is.

This thread reminds of the story of bio's wanting to castrate the wolves and the rancher replying "they ain't screwing my cows, they're eating them!"
Their is only one county with a wolf bounty.
I checked when i got mine.
If there was a bounty or a priority point on your draw so no cost to tax payers then i know myself and others would put alot more effort(this means money) into hunting them
Old 01-10-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Wmu 406 has been cleaned out of game this past year due to wolves. We had multiple sightings and found many kills in November. Never have I seen it this bad. Packs of 6-8 plus multiple pairs.
I personally called in a pack there, pretending to be a cow moose. They are thick as thieves there.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:31 PM

The study done in Yellowstone reported wolves killed 1.9 elk per wolf per month. That gives an average of 22.8 elk per year per wolf. Average lifespan in “North America” is reported to be 6-8 years in the wild. Let’s take seven years as the average and each wolf would kill 160 elk (or equivalent biomass) in a lifetime. Google tells me the estimated Canadian wolf population is 60k.
I’m good with killing as many as possible via any means possible until they’re as rare as rocking horse chit. If that includes 1080 i wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. I’ve said it before and it’s not popular but they can shoot and use the feral horses for bait.

All this arguing and we don’t have any proof srd is using poison. I still hope it’s happening and I would prefer if they didn’t tell anyone about it.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:45 PM

I dunno how much truth there is to poisoning Whitecourt area,but I live northeast of Whitecourt towards Fort Assiniboine and I’m having a helluva time finding any coyotes lately.
I’ve called around 12-15(?) stands last couple weeks and not a single dog down.
This morn I finished night shift in Whitecourt around 10am and cruised 30-40 miles of range and township roads on my way home on fresh snow from last night and seen exactly ONE fresh set of yote tracks.I was surmising this morn that maybe a local trapper has laid a hurtin on the yotes,as in snared every Freakin one of em within a 20 mile radius of my house.....argggg!!
Mind you this bitter cold last week I think has kept the critter movement subdued as I’m not seeing a whole lot of tracks of any kind really,but relatively mild last night(-12C) and I did see some lynx and Fox tracks in last night on our haul road so I figgered maybe everything is probably getting hungry now and would be a great scouting morning on the drive home but seems the yotes are pretty scarce from what I’m (not) seeing.?

Last edited by West O'5; 01-10-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb8440 View Post
I personally called in a pack there, pretending to be a cow moose. They are thick as thieves there.
Yep, called in another pack thier last week.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:26 AM

There is a lot of speculation and humming about yay or nay and for and against ,But is this all for nothing other than chance to bitch at each other ?
Is there any evidence or facts put forward to back the fact that they are doing a wolf cull with poison ?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Their is only one county with a wolf bounty.
I checked when i got mine.
If there was a bounty or a priority point on your draw so no cost to tax payers then i know myself and others would put alot more effort(this means money) into hunting them
Doesn't the Rocky Trapper's association have a bounty? Wild Sheep Association? I know the MD of Greenview had a bounty. Which county did you find that paid a bounty?

I wish the government would get rid of the requirement to salvage the hide. I wouldn't shoot a wolf in August if had to skin and sell the hide for $10.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-11-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
There is a lot of speculation and humming about yay or nay and for and against ,But is this all for nothing other than chance to bitch at each other ?
Is there any evidence or facts put forward to back the fact that they are doing a wolf cull with poison ?
In an emailed statement, the province suggested that poison is only used to cull wolves in rare circumstances, and that use is strictly regulated.

"Annual wolf population reductions to avoid the loss of caribou populations are primarily conducted through aerial tracking and shooting of wolves, but also through the use of chemical toxicants," a government spokesperson said in an emailed statement.

"Chemical toxicants are only used in extreme situations, after other methods have been demonstrated to require this additional management action.

"The use of toxicants allows the removal of animals that filter into the target areas while aircraft are not operating, and allows removal of wolves that are impossible to target from the air: transient wolves and small packs that move a lot.

The only toxicant used by the Government of Alberta is strychnine, the province said in a statement to CBC News.

"The use of this substance is regulated by the Government of Canada, which requires strict reporting and safety protocols," the government statement said.

"Alberta is licensed to use this substance and rigorously follows all such protocols."

Old 01-12-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
What kind of evidence you looking for? They have and are using strychnine to poison wolves and have been for over a decade. You can phone GP bios they can tell you. Head of the program is Dave Herrivuex,

Ps they are not very responsible with it....
Old 01-12-2019, 01:19 PM

Default wolves

In Yellowstone still prefer beef as they are easier to catch.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:54 PM

I agree about wolves in 406. I saw very little deer sign where last year it was extremely hard/impossible to NOT bump deer. Also saw lots of cat sign too. Had a close visit at 6:30am by a small pack of wolves moving towards the rest of the pack howling over a kill. Chilling adventure in the pitch dark....
Old 01-15-2019, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligence View Post
I agree about wolves in 406. I saw very little deer sign where last year it was extremely hard/impossible to NOT bump deer. Also saw lots of cat sign too. Had a close visit at 6:30am by a small pack of wolves moving towards the rest of the pack howling over a kill. Chilling adventure in the pitch dark....
406 was a nice place to hunt. Now all that's left is piles of bones and hair.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
406 was a nice place to hunt. Now all that's left is piles of bones and hair.

Plenty of game in 406!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 01-18-2019, 03:39 PM

Default Do You Work directly or indirectly in the Resource Industry???

I suppose that if the Caribou go from THREATENED TO ENDANGERED in Alberta the Federal Government could take Jurisdiction.

I suppose that Federal Environment could step in and take ALL MANNER of actions to protect what Caribou are left.

I suppose that could mean closing off large areas of Alberta to the Resource Industry while they hatch a plan to teach the Wolves some manners.

I suppose that could mean poisoning the Wolves to protect the Endangered Caribou, all the while closing the Caribou range to any further resource development.

So you see that the wolves are going to get killed in the end one way or another. It is the only thing that stops a wolf from eating.

The only question for the anti poison crowd is where does your livelihood come from? Are you willing to open your home to a homeless Resource Industry Family to prove your support for your position?

Drewski
Old 01-18-2019, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
I suppose that if the Caribou go from THREATENED TO ENDANGERED in Alberta the Federal Government could take Jurisdiction.

I suppose that Federal Environment could step in and take ALL MANNER of actions to protect what Caribou are left.

I suppose that could mean closing off large areas of Alberta to the Resource Industry while they hatch a plan to teach the Wolves some manners.

I suppose that could mean poisoning the Wolves to protect the Endangered Caribou, all the while closing the Caribou range to any further resource development.

So you see that the wolves are going to get killed in the end one way or another. It is the only thing that stops a wolf from eating.

The only question for the anti poison crowd is where does your livelihood come from? Are you willing to open your home to a homeless Resource Industry Family to prove your support for your position?

Drewski
I'm not in the anti poison corner . The fact of what's happening to the caribou is enough of a reason alone to reduce wolf population . I don't see why the resource industry should be brought into it . That won't persuade anyone .
Old 01-18-2019, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wmu 406 has been cleaned out of game this past year due to wolves. We had multiple sightings and found many kills in November. Never have I seen it this bad. Packs of 6-8 plus multiple pairs.
Interesting I went out one time this year for a drive, stopped by fortress gas, opened door and heard them howling, howled back and had one come to 150 yrds before he got wind and went back. Saw him coming about 250 yrds out. They should leave the gates open to callers this winter...I’ll go tomorrow and Sunday. Need a break in those parks though...Peter...jerk.

Anyone wanting to play in 406 for wolves I’m down, I don’t know it as well as other zones north and south of it but I have the calls and if they can hear I’ll get them in. They are on my bucket list and a bit of a focus now. Have howled them in both times I’ve heard them. 1st time was at night at camp west of Drayton, pack surrounded us howling until they realized what was up then they buggered off. They come in like bosses for sure.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 01-18-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Don't sweat it. Apparently it's already been done. Kind of like you want to hide the fact that their doing the right thing.
Sometimes its better to keep the right thing quiet so it can continue instead of feeding the antis info on an open forum we all know that fact and common sense cant talk them out of their emotional cause
Old 01-18-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruster View Post
I'm not in the anti poison corner . The fact of what's happening to the caribou is enough of a reason alone to reduce wolf population . I don't see why the resource industry should be brought into it . That won't persuade anyone .
If you were paying attention to what the Government has proposed, you would know that the NDP has in fact proposed closing resource development to a large part of Northern Alberta BECAUSE of habitat preservation for caribou.

That is why it is important that we deal with the predation problem for the Caribou numbers as swiftly and quickly as possible before more draconian measures are taken.

That is why if you or anyone has any connection to the resource industries, whether that be logging or oil and gas, that you support the wolf cull.
The alternative could be a lot worse for our economy, especially if the Federal Government gets their say through endangered Caribou.

Drewski
Old 01-18-2019, 08:46 PM

Would be interesting if they set up a go fund me account. You could sponsor a bait site. Then they give you the kill total. 13 wolves, 5 yotes, 3 marten, 10 whiskey jacks, 1 fox.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
If you were paying attention to what the Government has proposed, you would know that the NDP has in fact proposed closing resource development to a large part of Northern Alberta BECAUSE of habitat preservation for caribou.

That is why it is important that we deal with the predation problem for the Caribou numbers as swiftly and quickly as possible before more draconian measures are taken.

That is why if you or anyone has any connection to the resource industries, whether that be logging or oil and gas, that you support the wolf cull.
The alternative could be a lot worse for our economy, especially if the Federal Government gets their say through endangered Caribou.

Drewski
The point I was making is to concentrate on the wolves. Habitat preservation and predation control are two different things . The WCS and others like to avoid the control of the wolf problem. They are all about wildlife and really are cornered on this one so they focus on resource development/habitat .The wolves gotta go and if that means poison , so be , comes with the territory. I agree with you .
Old 01-19-2019, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Plenty of game in 406!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went for a walk this morning. 10km in 406. Saw 4 deer, 7 wolves. One moose track. And a couple of cougar tracks. Devastated country.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I went for a walk this morning. 10km in 406. Saw 4 deer, 7 wolves. One moose track. And a couple of cougar tracks. Devastated country.
How many wolves did you get?
Closed Thread