Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-13-2019, 10:47 PM
Banned

Default landowner tags

Ok, I don't want to start any arguments as I got a month off last time. All I want to know is if anyone has sent an email to ESRD to see if in fact landowner tags are going to be a thing of the past. I sent emails with no replies.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:07 PM

I feel like there will be fewer spontaneous months off now.
Just a hunch.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:10 PM

I own some land and I hope landowner cow elk stays.
I really see no reason for land owner antlered Mulie tho.
It’s an unfair advantage to the waiting lists and the Mulie tag#’s.

TBark
Old 01-13-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
I own some land and I hope landowner cow elk stays.
I really see no reason for land owner antlered Mulie tho.
It’s an unfair advantage to the waiting lists and the Mulie tag#’s.

TBark
Agreed
Old 01-14-2019, 12:34 AM
Banned

Here we go again...
Old 01-14-2019, 05:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Should be issued to those who prove that they are loosing crops etc to wildlife.

In some cases just watch as the sun sets and a 100 whitetail filter out of the brush to the grain....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-14-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
Ok, I don't want to start any arguments as I got a month off last time. All I want to know is if anyone has sent an email to ESRD to see if in fact landowner tags are going to be a thing of the past. I sent emails with no replies.
If you received no replies, why would you think that anyone else would have received replies?
Old 01-14-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Here we go again...
Exactly .. there seems to be 2 major themes on AO lately .. lets bash outfitters and #2 dump landowner tags ..
Old 01-14-2019, 07:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Exactly .. there seems to be 2 major themes on AO lately .. lets bash outfitters and #2 dump landowner tags ..
Would you rather talk about the 6.5 creedmoor or a topic that actually matters?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:31 AM

In my opinion the landowner tags should stay due to the fact that A: deer and elk are hard on hay stacks if it’s a tough winter and B: as a grazing lease holder and deeded land owner, we put up with every Tom, Dyck and Harry that wants to hunt, drive all over the place, leave their butt wipe blowing around in the wind and what ever else garbage people leave around. It’s a shame that a few ruin in for everybody else and who’s left to clean everything up... yeah you guessed it. So there’s my two cents for keeping landowner tags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2019, 08:01 AM

I've been worrying about this too because if these tags are eliminated it will guarantee that there will be fewer places for the city folks to hunt.
Be careful what you wish for boys and girls.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:27 AM

I don’t mind landowner tags in certain areas. But outfitters tags for draw species should be eradicated 100%.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
I've been worrying about this too because if these tags are eliminated it will guarantee that there will be fewer places for the city folks to hunt.
Except, there are many, many landowners with tags that never allow access. Your argument is moot. But common.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
Not a chance. Any landowner applying for a mule deer tag, not receiving it, then getting a landowners tag is not letting you hunt on their land anyway.
Maybe there’s a few that will, but I’ve never ran into any. The ones I know exercising this option have their land locked up tight, and so they should if they choose to, it’s their land !

95% of the farmers that let us hunt on their land don’t hunt, and the ones that do aren’t hunting for racks or waiting in any draws.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
I don’t mind landowner tags in certain areas. But outfitters tags for draw species should be eradicated 100%.
Excellent idea !

You’ll fit right in with the NDP eliminating industry with every bound 🙁
Old 01-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Banned

If there is a chance of landowner tags going away I better try for a landowner tag for moose this year....
Old 01-14-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
I hope you are joking... reduced in some areas sure... eliminated he’ll no, this is someone livelihood we are talking about and an excellent component of our tourism and outdoor industry
Old 01-14-2019, 10:11 AM

Landowner tags are open to everyone.
So, obviously if you dont want to go to the trouble of meeting the requirements, lobby the government to take them away from everyone else.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:21 AM

If the system is broken then it needs to be fixed. Just abolishing land owner tags is extreme. Maybe in some areas it should be a antlerless tags. If every son, daughter, son-inlaw, friend or what ever is applying for tags under one landowner on different quarters, then maybe that should be fixed. Maybe you should actually have to own the land. I know this has been discussed to death but I feel there is some balance that can be taken to make sure the land owner tags are kept in place and managed responsibly.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
If the system is broken then it needs to be fixed. Just abolishing land owner tags is extreme. Maybe in some areas it should be a antlerless tags. If every son, daughter, son-inlaw, friend or what ever is applying for tags under one landowner on different quarters, then maybe that should be fixed. Maybe you should actually have to own the land. I know this has been discussed to death but I feel there is some balance that can be taken to make sure the land owner tags are kept in place and managed responsibly.
Rational quotes and ideas like yours are too often drown out by the idiocy of the radicals on both sides.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
A rational person would think so.

So why has a rational Landowner licence policy never been produced?

While there are those promoting the elimination of these licences, more specifically just Antlered Mule deer Landowner Licences, this position has been influenced by opposition to any changes to the current "system".
There is lobbying within the consultation groups suggesting Expanding the Landowner Licence allocations and ability to transfer and even sell these licences.

Describing the position to eliminate Landowner Licences as extreme needs to be tempered with Newton's understanding of Nature.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-14-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Not a chance. Any landowner applying for a mule deer tag, not receiving it, then getting a landowners tag is not letting you hunt on their land anyway.
Maybe there’s a few that will, but I’ve never ran into any. The ones I know exercising this option have their land locked up tight, and so they should if they choose to, it’s their land !

95% of the farmers that let us hunt on their land don’t hunt, and the ones that do aren’t hunting for racks or waiting in any draws.
Actually when I said "city folks" I was thinking of resident hunters looking for access just for themselves, or maybe to take one of their kids hunting, and not outfitters trying to get permission for their clients. There are landowners out there who are willing to grant permission to members of the former group but not the latter.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Agreed
Old 01-14-2019, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
There is lobbying within the consultation groups suggesting Expanding the Landowner Licence allocations and ability to transfer and even sell these licences.
interesting
Old 01-14-2019, 01:21 PM

"There is lobbying within the consultation groups suggesting Expanding the Landowner Licence allocations and ability to transfer and even sell these licences."

so someone agree's there is a problem with landowners asking for licences, claiming damage, while not letting hunters on? if not, they could just increase tags(with landowners allowing access) and have the same result.

some sort of check/balance would be nice to see.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:46 PM
Banned

So since we are all public land owners (unless you don't pay tax) can you use a landowner tag on crown land??
Old 01-14-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
If there is a chance of landowner tags going away I better try for a landowner tag for moose this year....
Well...they don’t issue them for moose.

LC
Old 01-14-2019, 04:09 PM

Here's a thought, landowners tag, whitetail, can be used anywhere. Win, win.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-14-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
So since we are all public land owners (unless you don't pay tax) can you use a landowner tag on crown land??
Well you certainly can! You buy the license (just like land owners) and go hunting on 'your' land. Its actually a better deal cause you didn't have to pay 4500 per acre for it.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Well...they don’t issue them for moose.

LC
Hey you're right.