Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 04:00 PM
Banned

Ask now HOW and WHY it will go dark.

https://youtu.be/xqd9gfmLX-g
Old 01-18-2019, 04:02 PM

Talking

Read this book for some ideas, haha!

"One Second After" by William Forstchen. I read it but have not bought the sequels. Danielle Smith had the author on a couple years back. He is highly educated, not the best writer though. This is about an EMP as opposed to just the power going off.

Definitely gives one pause to see how much everyone is dependent on electronics, and one wonders how long before utter chaos would take over. Not long, IMO.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 01-18-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Fire up the generator to keep the freezers going (2 hrs a day) and throw another log (2 year supply) in the wood stove and pour a dark rum and coke while cleaning my 12 ga coach gun and 1911 45.
Bahahah. Me like. I'd clean the same guns too
Old 01-18-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FQ2 View Post
If you and everything else lost electricity right now without warning for a month, but had no idea when or if it was coming on where would you all go?

How would you get there, and what would you take?

What do you think would happen?

How many people die and where?
A few questions .... how would we know it's a month ? And what you mean how many people die in your last point ?

Anyhow for me. In winter. The small 2000w genny would prolly be fine to keep the house warm with a few space heaters I got. Put the deep freeze out side. Don't have enough food here for 5 though for a month.

2nd options providing vehicles still run i assume is load up food , guns, ammo and essentials ( chainsaw , tarps , survival gear etc etc ) in my truck and wife's and hit the cabin. Have dehydrated food up there enough to last. Kerosene lanterns or run genny just for lights each morning / night for a bit. Uncle has more food. Deers and rabbits. Lots of firewood. Figure out real cooking over the fire if the propane runs out

Last edited by wolf308; 01-18-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:24 PM

The massive efficient system we have built works great when it work but when it breaks it is going to be a doozy. Just look what happened with only a few days lost power back east in the big cities. We are efficient beyond belief but that also means we are extremely sensitive to upset and we don't have vast stockpiles to rely on relative to the size of the population. Used to be everyone had a store of food and that bought us a buffer. Now its all about micro apartments with no storage and just in time delivery which is great when everything is running smoothly but...

If we have a prolonged upset where people stop going to work and there is a food and fuel shortage etc its going to be a shat show of monumental proportions. And there is nothing you'll be able to do about it regardless of planning. A gun and gold and a food cache is all good but when you have a total breakdown of the financial system and millions of starving people out roaming for survival you aren't likely to last long even with some planning. They'll probably find some guns as well and roam far and wide seeking out whatever they can. Starving people with kids can be pretty darn cagey I hear. I pray to god I'm dead before something like this happens. Billions of desperate people does not make for a good ending. Ironically the most unaffected will likely be those living in the third world.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Ask now HOW and WHY it will go dark.

https://youtu.be/xqd9gfmLX-g
Jeez willy. Couldn't last long watching that. Looks like a bad prop from an 80s flick you've told 3xs to make you a sandwich , talking
Old 01-18-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
If you and everything else lost electricity right now without warning for a month, but had no idea when or if it was coming on where would you all go?

Just in case you are the scouting party for the Russian invasion...

1. Somewhere with power.
2. By travelling.
3. Many things.
4. I would get there with all my things.
5. Some, mostly on Earth, however, quite possibly some in space.

How about you OP?
Old 01-18-2019, 04:54 PM

Smile

Quote:

You know something we don't?
Old 01-18-2019, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
Jeez willy. Couldn't last long watching that. Looks like a bad prop from an 80s flick you've told 3xs to make you a sandwich , talking
Who cares what it looks like?

Would you be more interested in listening if it was Beyonce speaking?

The information is all that matters, this is how we got here.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:22 PM

Default What happens when it all goes dark?

Head on up to my moose camp..
Old 01-18-2019, 05:27 PM

I would go looting.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
I would go looting.
Finally get that big screen hey? Then when it comes back on, you could watch it go by Smith from the blue line with crystal clarity.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Finally get that big screen hey? Then when it comes back on, you could watch it go by Smith from the blue line with crystal clarity.
If the power goes out what the f am I gonna do with a big screen TV? Im going straight to the liquor store!
Old 01-18-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Quote:
If the power goes out what the f am I gonna do with a big screen TV? Im going straight to the liquor store!
Old 01-18-2019, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
I would go looting.
You are now on RCMP, CSIS and INTERPOLS list of sketchy, suspicious people. Wasnt that easy?
Old 01-18-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
You are now on RCMP, CSIS and INTERPOLS list of sketchy, suspicious people. Wasnt that easy?
Im earning my 10 mill. Im on the internet grinding.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:15 PM

Thumbs up Far Side comic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
had a great T Shirt once.

Two guys fishing in a boat while mushroom clouds from nuclear bombs where destroying a city in the distance.

One guy was facing the other and said "You know what this means Ned? No Size Restrictions and SCREW THE LIMITS!".

Drewski
Gary Larson was a genius:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no size restrictions.jpg (27.8 KB, 172 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-18-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:

I’d stay home. It’s where I have everything I need.
I think society would crumble within a week to ten days.
It’s estimated 90% would die within the first 12 month.
Most are ill prepared.

If your interested in this stuff, check out the “ vanderlism” on Metcalf substation.
It could have turned the whole continent dark.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Lock the gate and sit tight.

Grizz
Yup. Good to go
Old 01-18-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
A major issue in this scenario (30 days no electrical power) means gas pumps won't pump gas, so your truck and generator can't get re-fueled.

You can't buy anything in a retail outlet because the cash registers wouldn't work.

On the other hand the security cameras would be out to and you could siphon fuel and loot the stores ..... lol.
I have pumped a lot of gas with a hand pump meant for a 45 gallon drum. Just clamp on a plastic pipe to the steel pipe, drop it down the hole used to fill the tank and start cranking.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2019, 02:57 AM

Lets say that a coronal mass ejection is detected sometime tomorrow. The population of the planet are informed that the cosmic rays will descend upon the earth in two to three day hence. One side of the earth, the day side, will be affected, but which side is still not certain.Suppose that it is our side.
Everything electronic is going to fail, not excluding the modern vehicle. You are going to be stranded, gas or no gas. No power, no means of communicating. It will be like turning the clock back a couple of centuries.
(It may be time for the other side of the earth to commence a followup "exercise" just to make certain of world domination.)
All of a sudden the population is feeling the effects of starvation. Hordes start marauding the cities and anarchy sets in because law and order are in chaos.
Where would the most likely safest place be?
Probably some town that would be more than a 2 day walk from a large metropolitan area. A town with a population around 5 thousand, one that most residents are hunters and fishers so that there are adequate firearms for defensive purpose as well as obtaining food. A town where the population can be cohesive like the Mennonite and Hutterite communities.
A town where everyone can depend on one another.
Here's something to ponder. Which firearms would or should you have on hand? Ones that there is an adequate supply of ammunition, like those that fire military and police ordnance because that ammunition will be easier to acquire as it has abundance.

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018
Old 01-19-2019, 07:19 AM

Head to the cabin, could survive for months there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180716-063100_Gallery.jpg (42.1 KB, 141 views)
Old 01-19-2019, 08:36 AM

I think the worst part about this would be not being able to plug in the compressor to fill up the wife.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Don't forget agents Moulder and Skully list too there.......or perhaps Charlie's Angels should come on by too......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-19-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Head to the cabin, could survive for months there.
I'll rent the one beside you.....

Old 01-19-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I'll rent the one beside you.....
yep all you need is 2 guns and 500 rounds
Old 01-19-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
yep all you need is 2 guns and 500 rounds
I'll bring my fishing gear too

Old 01-19-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishpah View Post
Lets say that a coronal mass ejection is detected sometime tomorrow. The population of the planet are informed that the cosmic rays will descend upon the earth in two to three day hence. One side of the earth, the day side, will be affected, but which side is still not certain.Suppose that it is our side.
Everything electronic is going to fail, not excluding the modern vehicle. You are going to be stranded, gas or no gas. No power, no means of communicating. It will be like turning the clock back a couple of centuries.
(It may be time for the other side of the earth to commence a followup "exercise" just to make certain of world domination.)
All of a sudden the population is feeling the effects of starvation. Hordes start marauding the cities and anarchy sets in because law and order are in chaos.
Where would the most likely safest place be?
Probably some town that would be more than a 2 day walk from a large metropolitan area. A town with a population around 5 thousand, one that most residents are hunters and fishers so that there are adequate firearms for defensive purpose as well as obtaining food. A town where the population can be cohesive like the Mennonite and Hutterite communities.
A town where everyone can depend on one another.
Here's something to ponder. Which firearms would or should you have on hand? Ones that there is an adequate supply of ammunition, like those that fire military and police ordnance because that ammunition will be easier to acquire as it has abundance.
It would all depend on which time of the year it happened as well. Winter most of the population would be dead in weeks if not days, bright side? less disease to float around due to the decay...kinda gross but true, think of all the industrial farms with no power..pigs, chickens etc. Lack of medical supplies would take another 50% or so old age..the list goes on.

Summer chances are that more will survive a bit longer but disease due to massive lose of life etc. may be more deadly then the cold of winter.

The masses see the nice warm smoke coming from your chimney,,you become an instant target. You run around in camo..hummmm wonder if he has food?

Best rifle for the situation ? well a .22 rates pretty high, light ammo can send a few rounds down range quickly with relative accuracy..draw back not too lethal.

No solution is going to be 100% but you can spend hours driving yourself crazy trying to imagine one.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Don't forget agents Moulder and Skully list too there.......or perhaps Charlie's Angels should come on by too......
Great post, heres your prize...

Edit: I thought it was obviously tongue in cheek... I guess not to some people.

Last edited by drhu22; 01-19-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:15 AM

Some people are really out of touch. If the **** hit the fan and you decided to “get on the road and go somewhere else” you’ll probably die on that road. Traffic jams, running out of gas, looters when you’re stranded etc. all are real problems and you’ll never get where you’re going.

Stay in your house where you already have your equipment and gear. Hopefully you’ll have a home close to water, you’ll be able to heat your home with wood. You’ll have a good group of neighbours who can band together and work as a unit to ensure your immediate deeds and make sure that the “hordes” don’t take what you need to survive.

This idea of running away to “survive” is stupid ....Running away to what? Who could realistically live in the bush with minimal equipment for an extended period of time?

For those of us who go camping or hunting even if we really “know how”. When our supplies run out...we’re “done.”