Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 04:32 PM

Default Cypress Hills

Hi everyone,

There is a group of us that is planning to head to the Cypress Hills this summer. I have never been there so I am looking for recommendations and suggestions.

There will likely be 5 families, each with there own RV.

Can anyone suggest a campground to stay in?
Alberta side or Saskatchewan?
Better time in the July/Aug time frame?
Must see attractions?

Its nice to be able to play it by ear but I would like to have some ideas in mind ahead of time.

Any info appreciated.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:27 PM

Cypress Hills interprovincial park. Saskatchewan side 110%. If you're rv'ing look for sites in warlodge.

Book on opening day as they go QUICK.

Pool. Beach. Mini golf. Horseback riding. Interpretative centre. Parks. Fort walsh. Trails. Tours... There's a million things to do there. Awesome for young families.

Been going there for years. Have fun!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:34 PM

Whatever you decide, if you want to be close together, Ab. or Sask, as has been said book on opening day. Alberta has more fishing opportunities, 5 lakes fairly close by. Might be a fire ban in Aug.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-19-2019, 05:55 PM
Banned

.............we sure like the sask side better
Old 01-19-2019, 05:57 PM

Been at the Sask side twice about the 3rd weekend in July had a awesome fireworks display for parks Canada weekend or something like that.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:00 PM

Tour the gap road if you really want see some scenery use a 4x4 if its wet goes from Elkwater to ft Walsh
Old 01-19-2019, 06:09 PM

Only been to sask side. Beautiful park
Old 01-20-2019, 08:47 AM

Don't forget to visit Fort Walsh and 2 miles south of the fort is the site of the Cypress Hills massacre of 1873. That was the incident that kick started the formation of the NWMPolice. The NWMP Act was passed just prior to the massacre but was put in the pending basket so to speak with no immediate action taken. It took word of the massacre to get it put in the urgent basket and the following year, 1874, the famous NWMP march west took place.

Ft Walsh was where the U.S. Army led by BGen Alfred Terry of Little Big Horn fame, met with Sitting Bull and his chiefs to be talked into returning to the U.S. Sitting Bull more or less gave Terry the finger so to speak. The U.S. delegation left empty handed.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:34 PM

Tour out to Maple Creek Sk. and try out the Star restaurant..they bring in top chefs and do some training. Also the Camp restaurant in the village of Elk Water Ab. has a unique menu and the chef came in second on one of the food shows. Jalapeno corn bread with honey...nummmmy.

Etzichom Ab. (sp) has a nice little windmill museum and is a hour or so away. ( no services pack a lunch). Writing on Stone Ab. is defiantly worth the trip about two hours or so if your willing to drive gravel? otherwise add an hour to each time.

Old towns, if your into photograph? Orion, Red Rock Coulee, Many Berries (no services at any of these, pack a lunch and water)( might be a hamburger stand if your close to hunting season in Many Berries SW side of town in a food trailer) Bar is closed.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Tour out to Maple Creek Sk. and try out the Star restaurant..they bring in top chefs and do some training. Also the Camp restaurant in the village of Elk Water Ab. has a unique menu and the chef came in second on one of the food shows. Jalapeno corn bread with honey...nummmmy.

Etzichom Ab. (sp) has a nice little windmill museum and is a hour or so away. ( no services pack a lunch). Writing on Stone Ab. is defiantly worth the trip about two hours or so if your willing to drive gravel? otherwise add an hour to each time.

Old towns, if your into photograph? Orion, Red Rock Coulee, Many Berries (no services at any of these, pack a lunch and water)( might be a hamburger stand if your close to hunting season in Many Berries SW side of town in a food trailer) Bar is closed.
The star cafe I am sad to say is sold and becoming a pot shop.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
Well that sucks...or blows depending on your perspective
Guess the western one up the street is the next best thing then.?
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:25 AM

Depending on if you have kids and a boat and yo're not necessarily into privacy, Elkwater is more like your typical summer vacation lake resort.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
That is sad as a teen we often went for fries and gravy after a movie, Bel air gardens was still open last time I was through the creek there was good Chinese food there.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
Depending on if you have kids and a boat and yo're not necessarily into privacy, Elkwater is more like your typical summer vacation lake resort.
This was my thoughts as well. Elkwater is kind of like what Kelowna and Penticton was YEARS ago (albeit not as nice weather), but I really enjoyed Elkwater last year. we didn't get a chance to check out anything outside of elkwater as we were to busy doing the mini-golf, swimming, biking, etc. But I would've liked to head to the Sk side to check it out.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Well that sucks...or blows depending on your perspective
Guess the western one up the street is the next best thing then.?
Yeah I guess so did not think to much of it last time I was there.I almost cried when I heard about them closing .I remember when it was the old star and going for "veal" cutlets .The new star well there fried chicken and smashed spuds was a thing of beauty
Old 01-22-2019, 09:51 AM

Cypress hill? Make sure you bring lots of the "legal stuff"
Old 01-22-2019, 05:39 PM

I grew up on a farm about 15 minutes east of the Sask side of the park. We still go back for a week or two of camping every year, using the park as a base to visit family in the area.

Lots of great options for camping in the park. With a group of 5, I’d suggest the Meadows campground. It’s a bit more open, but very good for getting everyone in the same part of the park.

The park itself has lots of amenities and attractions. The golf course is pretty decent. The zip lines are fun, but a bit pricey for a group. There are also go-karts outside the park gate that are a lot of fun if there are younger kids around (double seaters).

There are a couple museums nearby. I recommend taking excursions to Fort Walsh and the T-Rex Discovery Center in Eastend. If you do go to Eastend, be sure to cut cross country and drive through the Frenchman River valley.

Feel free to message me if you want any specific details.