Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 01:38 AM
Banned

Default Hunter numbers drop 15% in USA in five year

This is not good news, especially when in the USA only 5% even identify as hunters. Only 3.5% actually bought tags. In Alberta only 3.1% bought tags. No idea how many identify as hunters, my guess it would be similar as down south. On the other hand, I don't think we've had the drop the US had in five years, but should we be concerned?

Yeah, I think we should be. How long before politicians think of us as irrelevant? But I have no idea as to how to change things.

Shooting Bambi To Save Mother Nature. https://play.podtrac.com/npr-510325/...t=pod&f=510325. Sent from Podcast Republic.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/20/59300...r-conservation
Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Define hunters.....many still eat off the land....wouldn't get too wrapped up in another ones stats.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-23-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
Yeah, I think we should be. How long before politicians think of us as irrelevant? But I have no idea as to how to change things.
We are considered irrelevant, perhaps worse, most politicians view supporting hunters as a bad political move which will cost them more votes from those who oppose hunting than those who do. Not that hunting is wrong or right, politicians make moves based on how many votes a decision will or will not get them. Hunting, trapping even fishing have become a political pariah the vast majority of politicians avoid at all costs.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
We are considered irrelevant, perhaps worse, most politicians view supporting hunters as a bad political move which will cost them more votes from those who oppose hunting than those who do. Not that hunting is wrong or right, politicians make moves based on how many votes a decision will or will not get them. Hunting, trapping even fishing have become a political pariah the vast majority of politicians avoid at all costs.
Nailed it! Also the media attention on Wildlife Offences doesn't help to support hunting or fishing. It sure seems most Politicians steer clear of support for any outdoor groups.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:48 AM

The sad fact is that many people today would rather do their hunting and shooting on computer games. Online is cheaper, quicker, and no animals to dress or drag, which seems more attractive to much of today's society.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I think that although there may not be active support, the problem will arise when there gets a point when there is active opposition by politicians. Most who do not hunt probably are not opposed to hunting, as long as what THEY view as trophy hunting doesn't occur. I've given up trying to explain to non-hunters who are opposed to trophy hunting that a true trophy hunter may go many, many years before harvesting what he/she is after, having very little impact on populations.

The problem is, those opposed to "trophy hunting" think of it in terms of a] what happened in the late 1800's and b] Cecil the lion. You can't argue logic with emotion.

But, if that population grows in it's opposition in of all hunting, what do we do? If a person doesn't know a hunter, how do they know the rest of that person, the volunteer work he does in the community, the company he built that employs people, the doctor they go to when they have a problem, the lawyer they need for their divorce, they plumber when their sewage system is hooped.

If we don't first of all stop the decline in our numbers, as a percentage, and secondly, find a way to fight the antis in an effective way, what can we do? I'm not sure if my grandchildren will be able to hunt the way we did if we can't change this, so these type of numbers and information is very relevant.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:15 PM

I hear stats like this but in my work travels over the past 5 years (Long Island, Ohio, Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, Ontario, Nebraska) I’m surprised by how many people hunt and fish. To me the percentage seems higher than in Alberta.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-23-2019, 02:02 PM

I agree with all the above opinions,especially Elk hunter and 246.The last two years of hunting,according to my observation,has seen the lowest number of hunters in the field.I do not know if I was that lucky ,not to have that much competitors in my hunting area,or it has to be the huge number of people selling their guns at Cabela. Maybe it is a new reality.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
This is not good news, especially when in the USA only 5% even identify as hunters. Only 3.5% actually bought tags. In Alberta only 3.1% bought tags. No idea how many identify as hunters, my guess it would be similar as down south. On the other hand, I don't think we've had the drop the US had in five years, but should we be concerned?

Shooting Bambi To Save Mother Nature. https://play.podtrac.com/npr-510325/...t=pod&f=510325. Sent from Podcast Republic.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/20/59300...r-conservation
Maybe they got tired of landowners all the time posting their land nowhere left to go
Old 01-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Hunting in Alberta will always face the head wind of the "access to grazing leases issue". The Farm / Rancher lobby is and always will be greater than the "hunting" lobby. It's a far bigger industry than the "guns n bullets" crowd.

Also hunters continue to "shoot our selves in the foot", anecdotal on my part but the landowners who allow me access are increasingly concerned re; Liability, weeds spread, bad hunter rumours, rural crime and general pain in the butt some "hunters" make or have made of themselves.

I am still welcome most places, but as generations change I can see the time (it has happened to me) that the sons and daughters of rural folks that have allowed access will deny access that mom n dad gave willingly. Sons and daughters are increasingly becoming urban, and with that the corresponding attitude changes.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I think that although there may not be active support, the problem will arise when there gets a point when there is active opposition by politicians. Most who do not hunt probably are not opposed to hunting, as long as what THEY view as trophy hunting doesn't occur. I've given up trying to explain to non-hunters who are opposed to trophy hunting that a true trophy hunter may go many, many years before harvesting what he/she is after, having very little impact on populations.

The problem is, those opposed to "trophy hunting" think of it in terms of a] what happened in the late 1800's and b] Cecil the lion. You can't argue logic with emotion.

But, if that population grows in it's opposition in of all hunting, what do we do? If a person doesn't know a hunter, how do they know the rest of that person, the volunteer work he does in the community, the company he built that employs people, the doctor they go to when they have a problem, the lawyer they need for their divorce, they plumber when their sewage system is hooped.

If we don't first of all stop the decline in our numbers, as a percentage, and secondly, find a way to fight the antis in an effective way, what can we do? I'm not sure if my grandchildren will be able to hunt the way we did if we can't change this, so these type of numbers and information is very relevant.
The writing is on the wall, going to be a tough row to hoe for hunters in the future.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:46 AM

Default Demographics

The Baby Boomers are getting old and sick. A lot of their Children have given up hunting for all the hassles of the Anti Gun movement and loss of access for hunting in the US.

Similar problem for hunter numbers in Canada.

Where we hunt moose, there are fewer and fewer every year. In the 1990's half of St. Paul would be in our area, largely family groups with the old guys teaching the young guys. A lot of those old guys cannot go anymore, and their kids lack interest.

You are asking a lot from a young guy to pay $5K for a Quad, take a week off work, Guns and Ammo, 4 x 4 truck, few grand in camping equipment, etc. Not an easy sell to the wives who do not identify with hunting and fishing.

A lot of young people are not interested in the hard work associated with hunting, and fewer like the gross parts. What is so funny is even the FN's can't get their kids to go hunting and fishing.

Sign of the times.

Drewski
Old 01-24-2019, 08:15 AM

I would say the rise of CWD is playing a large part in the decline as well. Many hunters don't feel it is worth the risk to hunt in the mandatory head submission zones anymore. Why go through all the work of the hunt when there is a 50/50 chance you'll be told sorry we your meat is not edible. This is especially true of landowners who do not need to or have the ability to travel across the province to find new hunting grounds.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-24-2019, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
The Baby Boomers are getting old and sick. A lot of their Children have given up hunting for all the hassles of the Anti Gun movement and loss of access for hunting in the US.

Similar problem for hunter numbers in Canada.

Where we hunt moose, there are fewer and fewer every year. In the 1990's half of St. Paul would be in our area, largely family groups with the old guys teaching the young guys. A lot of those old guys cannot go anymore, and their kids lack interest.
Ha! That's where we used to do a lot of our hunting in the 80s and 90s. Was that you with all those brats?(the sausage, not the kids )

Quote:
You are asking a lot from a young guy to pay $5K for a Quad, take a week off work, Guns and Ammo, 4 x 4 truck, few grand in camping equipment, etc. Not an easy sell to the wives who do not identify with hunting and fishing.
Maybe some of that is because back then we didn't do it that way. In fact, most of the time we only had a 2 wheel drive, with a set of chains. Who even thinks of that, never minds knows, how to chain up a truck today? We had an old canvas tent we cut poles for when setting up... no interior frames. Great Yukon stove in it, no propane. Quads? Trikes? Nope, those were barely known, and looked down on as lazy, however, if we knew someone who had one, it sure was great to drag a moose to the truck. Guns and ammo? It was not unusual to still see .303s, until they upgraded to a .30-06, .270 and the real macho guys, their .300 Win Mags or 7mm's. And no one had ever even heard of a Creedmoor, or the need to have one.

Am I dating myself?

The biggest difference is the feeling of the "need" to have a lot of the latest and greatest in expensive equipment, whether that is the truck, the OHV, the gun, the camper/trailer/tent or other equipment. We kept it pretty simple and basic, worked our butts off to get our game, and it seemed that our group never missed a year without game in the freezer.

Quote:
A lot of young people are not interested in the hard work associated with hunting, and fewer like the gross parts. What is so funny is even the FN's can't get their kids to go hunting and fishing.

Sign of the times.

Drewski
Yeah, I've heard FN parents I know complain about that. Apparently even on the rez outdoor activities can't compete with xbox and the internet. All the doom and gloom many of us felt even 10 years ago about growing FN populations and how it would affect wildlife seems to have gone away, where more and more FN are really starting to reflect the greater society, and not as isolated as they were. Of course, the Suzuki's of the world still like selling the "proud Indian" image, who are only connected to the land, and have a connection the rest of us could never feel. Those days are quickly disappearing.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:13 AM
Banned

OP-

I'm not convinced you're even a hunter at all . Reading through your post's and thread's is telling me other wise .
Old 01-24-2019, 10:53 AM

The drop in hunters is due to Urbanization of society.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-24-2019, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The drop in hunters is due to Urbanization of society.
Yeah, I would agree with you that is what happened over the last 60 years. Even 30 years ago, most families had grandparents, aunts and uncles or some shirt-tail relatives that farmed. Not so much today.

However, l doubt there was much change that way in the past 5 years. There is something else going on. Antis play a part. The internet keeping people off real life experiences. Aging hunters. Who knows why, but my concern is, is there anyway to stop the leakage?? I'm not sure there is.