Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2021, 04:44 PM

Default Bashaw Sports Under New Management

According to their site, they are closed this week, and open next week under new management
Old 06-07-2021, 04:53 PM

Sure hope they are as good and knowledgeable as the last owner, always liked to stop in there when I was up that way. Love that little store, just crammed full of stuff. I have a gift certificate from the wife for a xmas gift, hope the new management will still honor it.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:04 PM

Hope the new management believes in a proper website.

Sorry but I'm not driving to Bashaw to see what lines you carry.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Hope the new management believes in a proper website.

Sorry but I'm not driving to Bashaw to see what lines you carry.
They do have a phone. It wouldn't surprise me if Bashaw has the largest inventory of guns in Alberta. Only a small percentage are on display. It may be a small store but the basement is packed full of stuff.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
They do have a phone. It wouldn't surprise me if Bashaw has the largest inventory of guns in Alberta. Only a small percentage are on display. It may be a small store but the basement is packed full of stuff.

Not arguing with the inventory part or the service. Just shouldn't have to phone to ask what scope or rifle brands they carry then walk thru the models. Theres an easier way. Websites aren't that tough and in this day and age they're kind of essential to retail survival.

eg I'm in Edmonton. Lloydminter and Bashaw being roughly equidistant guess where I'm driving after a look at two websites.

Anyhow, I'm sure new management will bring new vision.

Last edited by 270person; 06-07-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:16 PM

I like bashaw Sports the way it is. A quick call and Pud or Dawna would let you know if they have what you want.....not that painful. They have a surprisingly large inventory. And they are great to deal with. Last of the Mohicans as far as small town gun shops. I will always support shops like this.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:33 PM

I liked Bashaw sports the way it was. I was only in the store a 1/2 dozen times but bought lots over the phone. Numerous times Bashaw sports were the only ones in the province that had what I was looking for.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
That would shock me to be honest.
If I have to call and ask every single item you have in stock than the system they have in place isnt working.
Clay has a ton of stock and everything is online. And he is obviously doing the best out of any Alberta gun retailers.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
I like bashaw Sports the way it is. A quick call and Pud or Dawna would let you know if they have what you want.....not that painful. They have a surprisingly large inventory. And they are great to deal with. Last of the Mohicans as far as small town gun shops. I will always support shops like this.

I love the nostalgia part of dealing with Bashaw sports. Reminds me of Dot and the W.W. Arcade, Wildcat, Ben's, Frenchy's etc back in the day. Unfortunately, in today's world, the guys that appreciate that ambience are the same guys that like walnut stocks on hunting rifles. I think if the new owners want to prosper they need to keep the best parts of what Pud did, but since they are nowhere near a major population centre they need to add facile online sales capability because the modern crew of upcoming hunters don't shop by phone. I wish the now owners all the best, will drop in next time I am going by.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
That would shock me to be honest.
If I have to call and ask every single item you have in stock than the system they have in place isnt working.
Clay has a ton of stock and everything is online. And he is obviously doing the best out of any Alberta gun retailers.
They have a ton of stuff, and are able to get stuff no one else has. I've called there several times when no one else had anything in stock and they'd have it. Hopefully the new owners are as good as the last ones. Pud must have retired.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 06-08-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
They have a ton of stuff, and are able to get stuff no one else has. I've called there several times when no one else had anything in stock and they'd have it. Hopefully the new owners are as good as the last ones. Pud must have retired.
Not confirmed, but a friend tells me that Pud may be around for a while to help the new owners get settled, and help them while they learn to run the business.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Not confirmed, but a friend tells me that Pud may be around for a while to help the new owners get settled, and help them while they learn to run the business.
Makes sense, if I was buying a business I'd want the owner to stick around awhile and show me the ropes.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 06-08-2021, 09:45 AM

Being not to far from there,

Bashaw sports has always been my go to spot.
Always been treated great there.

If nothing else that old building/store has a lot of nostalga to it.

If those walls could talk there would be a lot of .....

Have you heard this at the gun counter....
Old 06-08-2021, 09:53 AM

Speaking of little sporting good shops. Does anybody remember a fly fishing store in Edmonton. Tiny little place in a strip mall? I think the store's name was the owner's first name.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:44 PM

Well I’m sure glad I swung by Bashaw on Saturday then. Bought a couple things from Pud, and didn’t have an inkling that it was going to be his last day as owner (including a gift card lol). Bashaw Sports has always been fantastic to deal with, and between them and Prophet River have received the vast majority of my business.
And for purely selfish reasons, I liked the fact that their website was set up like it was. They almost always seemed to have what I was looking for, I’m assuming at least partly because most people weren’t willing to call in and ask if they had it in stock. It really was a hidden gem.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:11 PM

Bashaw Sports have been been great over the years and I wish nothing but the best to Pud and the crew.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
Speaking of little sporting good shops. Does anybody remember a fly fishing store in Edmonton. Tiny little place in a strip mall? I think the store's name was the owner's first name.

Reid’s? Over on the west end.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 06-08-2021, 10:23 PM

Bashaw sport had the best sales.

Hope this continues!
Old 06-08-2021, 10:58 PM

The best sales is right!

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
Bashaw sport had the best sales.

Hope this continues!
Yes, they did, but Pud built the business up over the years, and didn't owe a small fortune like the new owner likely does, so it will be interesting to see where the prices go under the new management.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Not arguing with the inventory part or the service. Just shouldn't have to phone to ask what scope or rifle brands they carry then walk thru the models. Theres an easier way. Websites aren't that tough and in this day and age they're kind of essential to retail survival.

eg I'm in Edmonton. Lloydminter and Bashaw being roughly equidistant guess where I'm driving after a look at two websites.

Anyhow, I'm sure new management will bring new vision.
I’ve been in Bashaw Sports when they were getting orders ready to go to Newfoundland. I doubt they drove there to see what they had nor complained about his website. Phone rings off the hook there constantly. I think people underestimate the business that Pud had built over the years. His business model worked well.

I’m not a firm believer in websites. There’s been more than once I’ve been to a business that advertised something on their website that was no longer there when I arrived.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post

I’m not a firm believer in websites. There’s been more than once I’ve been to a business that advertised something on their website that was no longer there when I arrived.
Yes the phone is generally in real time with a real person who can check and confirm or not what your asking. Websites may not be current and as often as not are unreliable in my experience.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:25 AM

Pud has been successful in 2021 because of offering good prices, service, and gunsmithing. It would only be better with a website that shows what he carries. Only a fool would drive a good distance to a store without calling to check stock first.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I’ve been in Bashaw Sports when they were getting orders ready to go to Newfoundland. I doubt they drove there to see what they had nor complained about his website. Phone rings off the hook there constantly. I think people underestimate the business that Pud had built over the years. His business model worked well.

You're not a firm believer in websites to find out what product lines a shop carries before calling to check models, inventory? Amazing. You must enjoy driving.

Never Google searched a product line to see who carries it in your area either I guess.

And, if you made a drive to ANY shop before confirming inventory would be there thats kind of on you I'd say.

I've got no beef with Bashaw whatsoever but here's what someone new to their business can determine they carry. The Specials on website. End.

vs Prophet River. Quick webscan shows lines carried, models and pricing. If you see an item with a price it was in stock at last update. Quick call to confirm. Done.

It's 2021.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:06 AM

Great store and great service.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
You're not a firm believer in websites to find out what product lines a shop carries before calling to check models, inventory? Amazing. You must enjoy driving.

Never Google searched a product line to see who carries it in your area either I guess.

And, if you made a drive to ANY shop before confirming inventory would be there thats kind of on you I'd say.

I've got no beef with Bashaw whatsoever but here's what someone new to their business can determine they carry. The Specials on website. End.

vs Prophet River. Quick webscan shows lines carried, models and pricing. If you see an item with a price it was in stock at last update. Quick call to confirm. Done.

It's 2021.
I buy a lot of parts to keep machines going. Find needed part on dealer website. Phone dealer to confirm inventory. Yep computer says it’s here. Drove to dealer to pick up. Get there and find out part is not there even tho computer and website says it is. Has happened a few times over the years. Not sure where it is on me that I came for the part that computer and website claimed was there. I guess that makes me a fool.

Ritchie Bros are a prime example of a poor website and misrepresentation. I’ve drove a few miles to look at machines that end up not as advertised for options or hours. Yet they sell it on that info and hopefully online buyer did their research. Info on a website or computer is only as good as clown entering it.

I’ve been spoiled over the years. Bashaw Sports is a local store to me. I’ve known the owner a long time from when he worked in a tire shop to opening his first store across the street to where he is now. He’s done well. He’s definitely earned what he’s got. New owner has some big shoes to fill.

Yep your right 270person it’s 2021. Easy to sit on a social media site and pick apart everyone and everything.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:57 PM

I’ll take good service and prices over a fancy web site any day.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I buy a lot of parts to keep machines going. Find needed part on dealer website. Phone dealer to confirm inventory. Yep computer says it’s here. Drove to dealer to pick up. Get there and find out part is not there even tho computer and website says it is. Has happened a few times over the years. Not sure where it is on me that I came for the part that computer and website claimed was there. I guess that makes me a fool.

Ritchie Bros are a prime example of a poor website and misrepresentation. I’ve drove a few miles to look at machines that end up not as advertised for options or hours. Yet they sell it on that info and hopefully online buyer did their research. Info on a website or computer is only as good as clown entering it.

I’ve been spoiled over the years. Bashaw Sports is a local store to me. I’ve known the owner a long time from when he worked in a tire shop to opening his first store across the street to where he is now. He’s done well. He’s definitely earned what he’s got. New owner has some big shoes to fill.

Yep your right 270person it’s 2021. Easy to sit on a social media site and pick apart everyone and everything.
I had memories of the original store being on the other side of the street. I was not sure if I was dreaming or what. I guess not. I remember buying a gun there as a kid, but cannot remember what it was.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
Denny's fly tying?
Old 06-09-2021, 04:23 PM

Default Did something happen?

Is everyone O.K.? No health problems.
I hate it when one of these unique stores goes. They never come back.