Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2020, 08:20 PM
Banned

Default Instant Pot vs Air Fryer or both?

I know this may be a lame thread BUT dayuum I have Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus 8 quart https://instantpot.com/portfolio-item/duo-evo-plus/
I use this about 3-4 times a week, with incredible results and incredible recipes
What are your go to recipes??
I'd love to get an air fryer that would incorporate toaster oven, yadda yadda to do chicken parts?? Ideas??
Old 11-28-2020, 08:39 PM

Have not tried an instant pot, but love the air fryer! Have a ninja from Costco. Mostly use it for fries or frozen stuff (chicken fingers, spring rolls etc) but also makes great chicken wings. Tonight I did a full chicken in it for the first time, best chicken I have ever made. Nice crispy skin, meat falls off the bones but still juicy. Only took an hour.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:31 PM

Instapot

One chicken
One container of broth

One easy meal
Old 11-28-2020, 09:33 PM

Instapot
Old 11-29-2020, 08:51 AM
Banned

I forgot to add a recipe I love and that is 2lbs pork belly with 5 spice chinese spices on it. Finished off under the broiler to really crisp it up.
As Randy points out whole chicken and broth, easily done and that applies to most roasts (proper saute gives excellent results) Chicken no saute required.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:07 AM

Omega posted this recipe, it's become my goto for gatherings

Beef dip
Brown small roast seasoned with a rub of 1tsp each salt, pepper and garlic powder in a splash of oil on Saute setting and brown well on all sides.
Remove roast and saute 1 med sliced onion in a bit more oil until well browned while stirring well to remove browned on bits from bottom of the pot.

Deglaze with 1/2 cup red wine til reduced by half stirring well. Turn Saute off.
Add 4 cups low-salt beef broth and 1/2 cup of low salt soya sauce
Add 1 bay leaf

Let er buck about 101 minutes.
25 minutes natural release

I made it around noon and let it hold warm til dinner

I shred right in the pot-tongs onto split toasted Dutch Crunch rolls topping with your favorite white cheese.
Dip the jus into a dipping bowl
Old 11-29-2020, 09:40 AM

I am buying an air fryer today. Will report back.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:03 PM

I thought I saw a commercial with an instapot that had an air fryer head attachment? If that's true, I'd think an instapot airfryer would cover all the bases. Does the ninja one do all? The cabin may get something for xmas.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
I thought I saw a commercial with an instapot that had an air fryer head attachment? If that's true, I'd think an instapot airfryer would cover all the bases. Does the ninja one do all? The cabin may get something for xmas.
got a rain check from costco on ninja air fryer on sale for 80$
Old 11-29-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I am buying an air fryer today. Will report back.
I bought an Insignia 10 quart air fryer oven. Was $99.

My girl and I made some fried cauliflower. Enjoyed it. Excited to try wings tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Got this a month ago. Ninja foodie. Wife loves it. Does pretty much everything.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
I know this may be a lame thread BUT dayuum I have Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus 8 quart https://instantpot.com/portfolio-item/duo-evo-plus/
I use this about 3-4 times a week, with incredible results and incredible recipes
What are your go to recipes??
I'd love to get an air fryer that would incorporate toaster oven, yadda yadda to do chicken parts?? Ideas??
I have the IP Duo and I have this for the airfryer. I wanted something that could perform a few functions

AirFryer Toaster Oven
https://www.cuisinart.ca/fs-air-frye...caApbCEALw_wcB

You can buy one of these to turn your IP into an air fryer/crisper though

Mealthy CrispLid for Pressure Cooker
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07RZDFVQV?...s=1&ascsubtag=[artid|1782.a.29304287[src|[ch|[lt|&linkCode=gs2&imprToken=dabb0b51-8452-eaba-89a&tag=hearstmagazin-20
Old 11-29-2020, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have the Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus 8 qt and according to the website, no air fryer lid available.
https://instantpot.com/portfolio-ite...patible-models
So, I'm looking to replace the toaster oven, with an all in one toaster oven, that has convection + air fryer capabilities
Old 11-29-2020, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
I have the IP Duo and I have this for the airfryer. I wanted something that could perform a few functions

AirFryer Toaster Oven
https://www.cuisinart.ca/fs-air-frye...caApbCEALw_wcB

You can buy one of these to turn your IP into an air fryer/crisper though

Mealthy CrispLid for Pressure Cooker
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07RZDFVQV?...s=1&ascsubtag=[artid|1782.a.29304287[src|[ch|[lt|&linkCode=gs2&imprToken=dabb0b51-8452-eaba-89a&tag=hearstmagazin-20
I think you just answered my question with first link Sporty. How do you like the way it works?? Which model do you have ?? Thanks
Old 11-29-2020, 06:42 PM

Anyone ever tried making a flat bread pizza in one of the air fryer ovens?

That also might be on my agenda this week. Mmmm
Old 11-29-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Anyone ever tried making a flat bread pizza in one of the air fryer ovens?

That also might be on my agenda this week. Mmmm
They work great for individual pizzas. If I'm too lazy to make my own dough I will use naan bread, good results thus far.

I've cooked chicken, small beef and pork roasts, appetizers, apple crisp, wings etc. I'm sold on the air fryer. It works great for smaller households, and there are only three in ours. The big double oven gets used less and less all the time.

We also have a pressure/slow cooker which I use for larger roasts, stew, chili, ribs and soups.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:27 PM

I have both and I have to say they both rock!! Air fryer is a ninja not that brand name matters. It’s the only one I’ve tried but definitely love both of them.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:28 PM

Any stews in the instapot are awesome, spoon apart tender meat in 20-30 min. For a worken man it’s the way to go. The down side to them is making yogurt in it after you make curry, the yogurt will be flavoured like curry, highly recommend extra seals.

Any tuff meat actually does really well in there maybe I should try elk shank pasta sauce...
Old 11-30-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
I think you just answered my question with first link Sporty. How do you like the way it works?? Which model do you have ?? Thanks
It's a good piece of equipment for what I needed. I often cook just for one so there's no need for me to use the oven. When I need to cook for more, it's big enough for larger volumes. It works like a convection oven so it cooks fast. It's a bit on the pricy side, I picked it up on sale at London Drugs. I like the fact that I can purchase extra baskets and racks for it as well. I have the one that's shown in the link, the largest of the line.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:29 PM

Have a ninja foodie. Best appliance ever. Wife uses it at least once a day.
Everything that she cooks in it is fantastic. Air crisper for fries or a crispy skin on chicken. Yummy. Will have had it 2 years come xmas.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:46 PM

just picked up the The Vortex Plus Air Fryer. Quite impressed, great wings in 25minutes. Fries and mini potatoes so far great and glad I picked it up, less hassel than heating up a whole oven..

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 11-30-2020, 06:20 PM

We have an instant pot which is great but I shake my head at times as we have a small and large pressure cooker as well as a large, All American pressure canner. I've often wondered what differences there are with the insta-pot. My wife uses it the most so I haven't really been able to discern the difference. Covenience, maybe? A little bird told me I'm getting an air fryer for Christmas, so looking forward to trying that.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:55 AM

I have the ninja foodi for about a year . works great on chicken fries etc. Have done elk shank and roasts in it that came out great. Only down side is the size of the unit requires a lot of space and i am tired of carrying it up from the basement lol.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
We have an instant pot which is great but I shake my head at times as we have a small and large pressure cooker as well as a large, All American pressure canner. I've often wondered what differences there are with the insta-pot. My wife uses it the most so I haven't really been able to discern the difference. Covenience, maybe? A little bird told me I'm getting an air fryer for Christmas, so looking forward to trying that.
The IP is definitely more convenient, set it, and walk away until it's finished. If your wife does her own canning then the traditional pressure cookers are for canning as the IP isn't useful for canning low acidic foods.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
The IP is definitely more convenient, set it, and walk away until it's finished. If your wife does her own canning then the traditional pressure cookers are for canning as the IP isn't useful for canning low acidic foods.
Her and I use the All American for pressure canning. The other two are just pressure cookers not meant for canning. I've used them for a lot of cooking. I pretty much walk away from them but do use a manual timer. The IP seems to be a little more foolproof.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:13 PM

A friend was telling me how surprised he was at the practicality of the air fryer he and his wife were given as a gift. He loves it!
Old 12-01-2020, 10:52 PM

I have both installed pot and ninja air fryer unbelievable convenience for fast quality meals . What really takes the cake for me anyways is the insta pot inversion circulator or suvee. Its designed to fit perfectly.in the insta pot pot and after using it on some tough moose meat I am totally sold on this method of cooking tough meats .
Old 12-08-2020, 08:26 PM

I have 2 instant pots, a large 8qt one and a smaller 3qt one. I use them both quite often, the larger one usually to make stews or to cook something like a tenderloin swimming in sauce. The smaller one I use mostly for vegetables, works great to make mashed potatoes, only takes 20min at high!

I'd also like to throw out a mention for the Anova Sous Vide cooker (or any other Sous Vide cooker), which I use a lot to cook meats.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:38 PM

I have both in the house. I often use the air fryer. Very easy to use. No detailed recipes as I usually toss in prawns, clams, mussels, squid, or scallops in with a bit of olive oil and some dry spice.

The Handler uses the insta-pot. I am amazed at how versatile it is and how easy she throws together soups, stews, pot roasts, etc.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:48 PM
Banned

Sporty mentioned the air fryer above and I ordered it from Best Buy Black Friday sale..$70 off. It's slated for delivery tomorrow