Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2020, 02:19 PM

Default Other than Oilers/Flames hockey stuff

Word of the day? Gotta be Ovi. 8 goals in the last 3 games. 2 hat tricks in 2 days. Tied Yzerman for 9th on all time goal list. How far will he go? I would say at least to number 2 all time.

What’s even more insane is that he has been in the league for 15 years! Seems like the kid with pimples arrived from Russia not all that long ago at all. Time flies.

Another crazy thing is that there is still a bunch of haters saying he isn’t worthy of a player and not in the same league as other great ones, lol.

The guy is a beast and can shoot like no other!

Edit: Forgot to add, go Caps! Lol.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:28 PM
Banned

Not a fan.
No doubt he can score.
There are others that are/were much more fun to watch. And also won more championships.
Maybe if he didn’t celebrate his goals like they were Stanley cup winners in overtime.....
Old 01-18-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Word of the day? Gotta be Ovi. 8 goals in the last 3 games. 2 hat tricks in 2 days. Tied Yzerman for 9th on all time goal list. How far will he go? I would say at least to number 2 all time.

What’s even more insane is that he has been in the league for 15 years! Seems like the kid with pimples arrived from Russia not all that long ago at all. Time flies.

Another crazy thing is that there is still a bunch of haters saying he isn’t worthy of a player and not in the same league as other great ones, lol.

I like Ovechkin gifted sniper love how he partied after he won the cup he's got five more years to play as long as Gretzky he could catch him

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I like Ovechkin gifted sniper love how he partied after he won the cup he's got five more years to play as long as Gretzky he could catch him

He only needs 205 goals

Old 01-18-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
Not a fan.
No doubt he can score.
There are others that are/were much more fun to watch. And also won more championships.
Maybe if he didn’t celebrate his goals like they were Stanley cup winners in overtime.....
I haven’t seen today’s game or highlights, but didn’t see any over celebration in any of the yesterday’s three goals. Then again, the guy is excited scoring a goal as if it is his first in the league. After 15 years, I should add. After almost 700 goals. That’s passion.

Meh... I don’t see lack of championships as his personal shortfall. No one scored more goals since he came to the NHL. I believe this is true for both, regular season and playoffs. It’s not his fault they aren’t winning where it really counts. Same goes for the Russian national team. Can’t blame him for lack of winning. He is always first to show up when the Motherland calls. I don’t recall him missing a world championship. That’s after the regular season (he doesn’t miss too many games either) and post season (though this one isn’t that long most of the time for the Caps). If I remember correctly, he only missed 1 game in his first three seasons and that was because his grandmother passed away (weird that I remember it, but for some reason it sticks out in my memory). And I think he only missed one game in the last three seasons plus this one. That one was the suspension for refusing to participate in the all-star event. He will miss another one this season for the same reason.

There is also a reason he was the MVP in the playoffs when they won the cup. He was the difference. His presence was actually the difference maker. I remember watching him on the bench. He was also the MVP in the regular season a few times. There is also a reason for that.

Anyway, my point being, you can’t blame him for the lack of championships won in a team sport. It isn’t fair. There are amazing players in the history of this sport who never touched the Cup.

He also hits! And can take a hit. I wonder how he fairs on the hits stats since he came to the league. I have a feeling somewhere near the top.

Having said all this, he isn’t my favourite Russian player. The favourite is Datsyuk. The guy was all class. Probably the best with the stick in the game.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
He only needs 205 goals

Indeed, just looked and it is 205. That’s a lot of goals, even for him; but who knows. If he stays healthy, I think it is possible. We will see where he ends his season. I mean who else if not him, right?
Old 01-19-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Not to mention he will crush people. He does a lot of heavy lifting and sets up plays which I like.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:50 AM

Ovi is an amazing player and awesome to watch. Fastest 235 pounder the NHL has ever seen...
Old 01-19-2020, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
I haven’t seen today’s game or highlights, but didn’t see any over celebration in any of the yesterday’s three goals. Then again, the guy is excited scoring a goal as if it is his first in the league. After 15 years, I should add. After almost 700 goals. That’s passion.

Meh... I don’t see lack of championships as his personal shortfall. No one scored more goals since he came to the NHL. I believe this is true for both, re gular season and playoffs. It’s not his fault they aren’t winning where it really counts. Same goes for the Russian national team. Can’t blame him for lack of winning. He is always first to show up when the Motherland calls. I don’t recall him missing a world championship. That’s after the regular season (he doesn’t miss too many games either) and post season (though this one isn’t that long most of the time for the Caps). If I remember correctly, he only missed 1 game in his first three seasons and that was because his grandmother passed away (weird that I remember it, but for some reason it sticks out in my memory). And I think he only missed one game in the last three seasons plus this one. That one was the suspension for refusing to participate in the all-star event. He will miss another one this season for the same reason.

There is also a reason he was the MVP in the playoffs when they won the cup. He was the difference. His presence was actually the difference maker. I remember watching him on the bench. He was also the MVP in the regular season a few times. There is also a reason for that.

Anyway, my point being, you can’t blame him for the lack of championships won in a team sport. It isn’t fair. There are amazing players in the history of this sport who never touched the Cup.

He also hits! And can take a hit. I wonder how he fairs on the hits stats since he came to the league. I have a feeling somewhere near the top.

Having said all this, he isn’t my favourite Russian player. The favourite is Datsyuk. The guy was all class. Probably the best with the stick in the game.
I agree, Datsyuk was probably the best 2 way player of his time. Most skilled with his stick.
There were a few under rated players through the years. Trottier was another one. Maybe the best skater of his time.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I agree, Datsyuk was probably the best 2 way player of his time. Most skilled with his stick.
There were a few under rated players through the years. Trottier was another one. Maybe the best skater of his time.
We all have our opinions but I think Coffey has Trottier beaten in the skating department for that time...
Old 01-19-2020, 11:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Ovenchicken is a stud...scoring machine.

built like a tank and a one timer from hell.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-19-2020, 12:37 PM

Go Canucks!!!!
Old 01-19-2020, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
We all have our opinions but I think Coffey has Trottier beaten in the skating department for that time...
No doubt Coffey was a good skater, faster than Trottier. Maybe the best all around player on his team.
There is so much greatness weighing on offence that defensive and two way players are often rated lower.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:20 PM

Without renaming this thread to “Ovi fan club”, hahaha...

The dude had another hat trick to take the lead in goal scoring with 40 and is now 2 shy of 700.

That’s not what I wanted to post though, lol. What I wanted to say and add to the previous conversation is that in one of my earlier posts I was wondering how he ranks in the hit numbers since he came to the league. Well, coincidentally, before today’s game, I was reading this article at NHL.com:

Ovechkin won't be at bottom of 700-goal club for long, members say

And there was this stat I was wondering about:

Ovechkin (6-foot-3, 236 pounds) has always played with a physical edge, as evidenced by his 2,984 career hits, third most in the NHL since 2005-06, behind Dustin Brown's 3,419 and Cal Clutterbuck's 3,131.

Pretty effing crazy, to be honest. I knew he would be up there, but the third since he came to the league... It also mentions he only missed 31 games in his entire career in the NHL and of those, only 17 have been due to an injury.

I am not going to quote, those interested can read the article, but some of the greatest hockey players touch on his goal celebrations that were mentioned here before too, among other things.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:03 AM

Not to take the Ovi thread off track, he would have gotten to 50 today, lol.

On a serious note, I haven’t seen the complete interview, if there was one aired, but read the cliffs at nhl.com: NHL expects to resume season after pause for coronavirus.

It’s pretty disappointing that there is no mention of the fans at all and concerns about their well being. If Bettman thinks there is a concern about a player getting the virus, he is kidding himself and everyone else. Here is the article:

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman decided to pause the season Wednesday night after an NBA player tested positive for the coronavirus and the NBA suspended its season, but he wanted to speak to the NHL Board of Governors on Thursday afternoon before making an announcement, he said in an interview on CNBC.

Commissioner Bettman said no NHL player has tested positive for the coronavirus, to the best of his knowledge.

"The last couple of weeks, we, like everybody else, have been monitoring what's been going on, and we went from dealing with things on a day-to-day basis to an hour-by-hour basis, and then it was in minutes," Commissioner Bettman said. "And we were constantly evolving our strategy as to how we were going to have our teams playing or not playing, or under what circumstances.

"But last night, when the NBA had a positive test and they had to cancel a game at that moment, it was clear to me. And through all of our calculus, we knew that once a player tested positive, it would be a game changer.

"I decided it was time to get ahead of it and not wait for one of our players to get tested, because in all likelihood, at some point in time, we weren't going to get through the rest of the season without a player testing positive."

Commissioner Bettman said the NHL answered a lot of questions on a conference call with the Board of Governors and has been working closely with teams, medical personnel and the NHL Players' Association.

"We've sent everybody home, and we've asked them to self-quarantine for the time being, and we're going to continue to monitor the evolution of the coronavirus," he said.

Commissioner Bettman stressed the NHL is taking a pause.

"I'm a little hesitant to use the word suspension, because our hope and our expectation is, when things get back to normal and it's safe and it's prudent, that we can go back and resume the season and ultimately have the Stanley Cup awarded," he said.

Asked how far into the summer the NHL was willing to push the schedule, Commissioner Bettman said, "That's a question that I can't answer right now. It's something that I and my senior staff are dealing with on a day-to-day basis.

"It's going to evolve. We're looking at all contingencies, and when the circumstances are right that we can play, then we'll look at what we can do.

"My hope is that at some point we'll get back to some normalcy, and that's not just my hope for the NHL, and it's not just my hope for all sports, it's my hope for everything that's going on."

I mean it’s not at all that surprising, but disregard for the fans is quite appalling.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:33 AM

I see that there's consideration of having the playoffs running into the summer months. I've read articles where they discussed the quality of the ice, especially in the southern US.

I wonder what the players and the players union think of that idea, especially since player contracts end on June 30 and many players will be UFA and RFA on July 1.
Without a doubt, discussions will be taking place on this issue. Should be interesting.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:48 AM

I can see them doing almost anything except playing out the rest of the regular season. First two rounds are best of three with the final two being best of five. A win and you're in for team(s) in 9/10th but with games in hand vs playoff teams, playoffz starting as per normal once this has settled down a bit....
Old 03-14-2020, 09:56 AM

Personally I would like to see them run the remainder of the season without fans in attendance. It is the only real way to ensure fairness. Once the entire season is concluded, then introduce a condensed playoff schedule with the 16 teams (3 or 5 game series). Private jets, cleaning staff in locker rooms between periods, and no fans..... the players will be safer than the average citizen at home. Once playoffs start and depending on the current status of the virus, then they can decide if fans attend the playoffs.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:44 AM

I don’t see it coming back at all. We are just starting down this Covid path and don’t really see it getting better in a months time. None of the infected countries have improved to the point where life has returned to normal why would be any different. I sure hope I am wrong.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:53 AM

The NHL really wants to crown an NHL champion as it is good for business. I think the only appropriate course of action here for the NHL is to award Lord Stanley’s Cup to the team with the player at the top of the point standings. Good thing about this approach is that I’d where it most likely would have ended up anyhow.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:10 PM

Stay classy Edmonton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2020, 01:28 PM

Unfortunately my opinion is that it's all done for the year this is going to be bigger than anything since World War II are the last pandemic in 1918

Old 03-14-2020, 03:07 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2020, 03:41 PM

Haven't seen it posted here yet.

A member of the Ottawa Senators has posted positive for Covid-19

Quote:
The unnamed Ottawa player has been placed in self isolation and since there are concerns that other members of the club’s roster and staff may have contracted the virus, the club confirmed Wednesday others may be sent for testing.
https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/...rgoing-testing
Old 10-27-2021, 10:58 PM

Hopefully, Stevie Y will build the Red Wings back to glory. Not too bad of a start for them compared to the last few seasons.

Pretty rough start for Montreal though. And Chicago and Arizona can’t find a way to get a win.

To continue the Ovi “tradition” of the thread, not bad of a start for him with 8 goals in first 7 games to take the league’s lead. The guy is 36, lol. Hopefully, he keeps it up into the season. Gotta be number 5 or 4 on the all time list by now?

Also, Florida appears to be on fire.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:26 PM

I have watched Kyle Beach's interview twice. I had to let it sink in. I know he is not the only victim. I know he is not the first to come forward. But this is the one that hit me.

I love hockey. I have my favorite teams, but truth be told I will watch any game I see. But to see what it does to people. To see undeniable proof that 7 grown men sat around a table and decided that a hunk of metal was worth more than a young man's life. That the mere possibility of a rapist being discovered in their midst, and any possible "distraction" that it might cause the team was worth letting him go with a letter of reference so he could rape another person, this time a 16 year old...

The amount of cover up and neglect committed by at least 3 people at the NHLPA to not even offer the young man counselling because that would be an admission of guilt. The players who all clearly knew; for only 2 out of 14 interviewed to have the basic human decency to acknowledge 11 years later what happened...

To allow Joel Quenneville and Kevin Cheveldayoff to continue in their positions until the meeting with Bettman; something no player is granted...

I love hockey but I think I am done with the NHL for now
Old 10-28-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Not a fan.
No doubt he can score.
Huh?? The guy is 230lbs and skates like the 185’s used to back in the day. The dude is electric to watch. Matter of opinion I guess..
Old 10-28-2021, 10:13 AM

Other than the shyt show in Chicago, a few teams had good starts so far: Detroit, Florida, and Carolina.

I also like the young guns for NY Islanders.

Always liked Ovie. Just like a big kid. Good and funny personality. Wished more players were like him.

So what if he over celebrates...
Old 10-29-2021, 10:17 AM

How 'bout them Kraken! They've been puttin' lotsa rubber in the net lately

In fact, they are my team. I've abandoned the Leafs, Oilers and Jets (<former fan of).

The acquisition of Ron Francis was the deciding factor in my affection for the Kraken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqC_m3yUDU
Old 10-29-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Huh?? The guy is 230lbs and skates like the 185’s used to back in the day. The dude is electric to watch. Matter of opinion I guess..
I concur, he is a VERY exciting player to watch. Love the great 8!

Some of the cellies might be a bit much but when your THAT good of a player..

His goal reactions can be a lot more exciting than Conners typical straight faced scowl. But some guys here would jump all over Conner if he even cracked a smile after scoring, the hate runs THAT deep.

I feel bad for people like that choosing to be miserable & hateful.