Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2020, 03:14 PM

Default Looking for suggestions on which panner yo buy.

I have a marcum vs485c and wondering which panner people would go with. Both the marcum and the aqua vu are on sale right now.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V45 sabre View Post
I have a marcum vs485c and wondering which panner people would go with. Both the marcum and the aqua vu are on sale right now.
I've been using the marcum planner for at least 8 years. Really like how small it is for transport.Well built,I even use it on 10" holes. Just remember to take out the batteries in the off season
Old 01-09-2020, 10:55 PM

Another vote for the marcum,small and easy to use...hasn’t let me down yet.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:44 AM

Vote 3 for Marcum.
Stubblejumper01 is right take out batteries at end of season.

Tip 2 Don't wrap control cable too tight around turner to store between uses the internal wiring will eventually pull off the internal contacts My spare panner only rotates clockwise now.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:49 AM

I’ve had the Aqua Vu MoPod for about 6 years and it’s been good. I like that it sits a bit above the hole so it’s less likely to freeze to the ice. A set of batteries seems to last quite a while. Being AA they are simple enough to replace too.

Honestly, any panner is far better than no panner. Hard to use an underwater camera as effectively without one. I always set mine up outside the tent so I have more room inside.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-10-2020, 02:22 PM

My second season with the 485 marcum, also use the marcum panner, so far so good. I set my panner on a milk crate to get it out of the snow/water that surrounds the hole. A friend had his stop working and when we took the back cover off, the board was very rusty and corroded. I suspect the gasket didn't seal and water got in. Just a tip.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman80 View Post
My second season with the 485 marcum, also use the marcum panner, so far so good. I set my panner on a milk crate to get it out of the snow/water that surrounds the hole. A friend had his stop working and when we took the back cover off, the board was very rusty and corroded. I suspect the gasket didn't seal and water got in. Just a tip.
That's why I love this forum! I never even thought about putting it on something to keep it out of the slush and off the ice. Plus as I get older it's harder to get up and down off my knees. That's actually going to make it easier to use. Thanks for that. I noticed when changing batteries it is sometimes hard to get the seal on right too.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:00 PM

Awesome help thanks for the replies.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman80 View Post
I use the Marcum panners ...... and also keep them up and off the wet ice.

I use a 12"x12" piece of Foam board insulation with a hole cut out of the middle and slot so I can seal the hole (to help prevent freezing) and keep the batteries and motor up off the ice.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/owe...dge/1000155124