Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2020, 09:06 AM

Default Whitehorse and Kluane

Good morning folks! In the early stages of planning a trip up to Whitehorse with a 5+- day camping trip at kluane. Would like to do some fishing in the area but am not at all familiar with the area. We will likely stay at one of the camping tents at Kathleen Lake. We would fish there I’m thinking but if some of you folks have a couple of other reasonably decent access areas to look up I would appreciate. We will take spinning rods as well as our fly rods etc. Thanks, Calvin.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:34 AM

PM sent.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:53 PM

Loads of options around there, you bringing a boat canoe, etc? Shore access is limited and fishing from Lakers goes better with a boat, even an inflatable would open a lot of water. Plenty of Bows and grayling in streams around there as well and some are wadeable. PM me if you want more details or specifics.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:47 PM

Kathleen river holds some good size grayling and trout (rainbow and lakers). Bring some waders as it will make things much more accessible. Even better would be to rent a canoe from one of the outfitters in WH. Shore casting Kluane lake can be productive if you can find where it drops steeply. Kloo has some monster pike.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:17 PM

Thanks folks, no boat as of right now. There should be a place to rent one if needed. Will be mostly river fishing if flows aren’t to heavy. Kathleen lake looks fairly large and that is a good thing. I’m hoping to maybe take a run down to Haines or Skagway while in the region. Maybe a short charter might be in order. If available. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:42 AM

If you're looking at Haines or Skagway:

1) Skagway - lots of shops as the cruise boats dock there. Limited fishing of rivers though and typically only the Chinook will run the river - May and June or so.
2) Haines - you can fish both the Chilkoot and Chilkat Rivers. Chilkoot is only about 4 or 5 km's long between the ocena and the lake, and will hold fish (different salmon species) from June/July (Pinks first), to October (Coho). Easier to fish and you'll get to see Brown bears fishing the river. Chilkat is a bigger system but will hold Dolly Varden most of the year, and then again in October has a great run of Coho and Chum. Chilkat can be intimidating as it's long and LOTS of water flowing. It will hold different salmon species, but mid-summer the water levels are very high.

If you're there in mid-summer, I'd suggest Haines and target the Chilkoot.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:13 PM

Takhini river, 45 minutes from Whitehorse is a fun river with countless grayling. Float from lake down to take out can be done in a day or two depending how much you stop to fish.

Only one feature to watch for on the river. Send me a pm I can send you god spots for put in and take out.