Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-04-2014, 01:30 PM

Default Bent Decapping unit

Hello

So with my recent purchase of a 22-250 I naturally want to reload for it.

I finally got a set of RCBS FULL Length two die set. Set everything up following the instructions provided and the shell holder on the box. I run a few cases and works. Then the decapping pin would not go through the flash hole(I didn't know this at the time) and I tried to force it thinking it was just a stuck primer and broke the decapping pin (I claim responsibility, I should know better). So I went to wholesale to grab a replacement part as I don't want to wait on RCBS to send one. Could not find the part but found a neck sizing die set, which I prefer to do.

So I take it home and set it up as per instructions and run TWO cases and the third case won't work. the decapping pin is bent, so I take the unit out of the die and it is bent in TWO places. I took it back and was able to exchange the die luckily. I get the second one home and I run at the most ten cases and it does the exact same thing again.

My question is has anyone heard of this happening?? or know of any causes?? I didnt force anything this time around and was very careful making sure nothing was being forced or pushed.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Lukas M
Old 01-04-2014, 01:42 PM

Looks like it was set too low, and hit the base of the cartridge. I did the same thing once with an RCBS .223 die.

You only want a bit of the decapping rod beyond the base of the die. The expander needs to clear the base of the shell.

Edit, by too low, I mean the rod, not the die as a whole.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Crap dies. RCBS DIE's= junk, junk and more junk. Take them back or throw them in the trash, not worth the time dicking around trying to find new pins every time you use them. The Lee decap die is much stronger, I use it for Milsurp crimped primers, works well. Redding for everything else.
Haven't had a single issue with about 20,000 223 rnds since scrapping RCBS dies.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Looks like it was set too low, and hit the base of the cartridge. I did the same thing once with an RCBS .223 die.

You only want a bit of the decapping rod beyond the base of the die. The expander needs to clear the base of the shell.

Edit, by too low, I mean the rod, not the die as a whole.
It happens more often than a person would expect. The simple fact is, that many people do not set their dies up properly.
That and some people do not make sure that the case is properly in the shellholder, and the decapping rod is forced out of alignment with the flash hole, so the decapping pin, misses the flash hole, and bottoms in the case.

Quote:
Crap dies. RCBS DIE's= junk, junk and more junk. Take them back or throw them in the trash, not worth the time dicking around trying to find new pins every time you use them. The Lee decap die is much stronger, I use it for Milsurp crimped primers, works well. Redding for everything else.
Haven't had a single issue with about 20,000 223 rnds since scrapping RCBS dies.
If they aren't adjusted properly, it doesn't matter what you use. I have yet to break a decapping pin, or bend a decapping rod in over 35 years of reloading, using RCBS, or Redding dies. But then again, if something doesn't feel right, I don't force it.

The fact that the same problem occurred with two different dies, should be a good indication that something is not set up correctly.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-04-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:59 PM

What kind of brass are you useing? I have some s&b 243 brass that are berdan primed. They have 2 off set flash holes instead of one in the middle.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
When I bent one, it was my fault. I have plenty of rcbs dies, all work well.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:05 PM

Email RCBS. Happened to me once and they sent me a free replacement.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 01-04-2014, 02:10 PM

Default reloading takes a fine touch

silk, they're not crap dies.

When set up according to RCBS's instructions
their dies perform very well. Like TomCanuck said, the decapper was likely set too low. I've made the exact same mistake.

Another possible cause * is if the case is not fully placed into the ram's caseholder. This places the case out of alignment with the die, so that the decapper strikes next to the flashhole. This will bend it, esp. if the user is manhandling the lever.

Reloading is a precision hobby. Instructions are there for a reason.
Paying attention to small details like a sudden change in resistance, for example when pushing a case through any brand die, is good practice.

There are other traps - like forgetting to lube a case and ramming it into the FL die in spite of the felt increase in resistance. The result is a firmly stuck case.

Brute force is never called for.

* edit: elkhunter beat me to it.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Banned

^^^^ nor are hammers or spanners.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:20 PM

RCBS has the worst decap pin in the market... I have some 30-06 with many miles use and never an issue, others like 223 of 308 endless amounts of time lost.... until I switched dies. One slightly out of speck flashhole and your SOL, unless you buy a bag of backup pins.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:28 PM

It would appear TomCanuck is correct, after inspecting my die after reading the feedback (which is greatly appreciated) the decapping pin would bottom out on the case and that explains why the unit bent the way it did and would continue to do so after straighting it out a few times.

It would also appear although RCBS told me to use a #3, a # 2 fit much much better and I imagine this only helped the problem.

I will be calling RCBS to try and get a few replacements.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and how quickly is came!!

Lukas M
Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 PM

Not doing a Berdan case are you?

Grizz
Old 01-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
RCBS has the worst decap pin in the market... I have some 30-06 with many miles use and never an issue, others like 223 of 308 endless amounts of time lost.... until I switched dies. One slightly out of speck flashhole and your SOL, unless you buy a bag of backup pins.
I use a variety of dies and tools and equipment. With carefull set up and practises, none have ever caused me insurmountable issues.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
User error is what wrecks dies. I have never had a problem or have never heard of anyone having an issue unless they messed up somewhere. Just saying.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madluk18 View Post
It would appear TomCanuck is correct, after inspecting my die after reading the feedback (which is greatly appreciated) the decapping pin would bottom out on the case and that explains why the unit bent the way it did and would continue to do so after straighting it out a few times.

It would also appear although RCBS told me to use a #3, a # 2 fit much much better and I imagine this only helped the problem.

I will be calling RCBS to try and get a few replacements.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and how quickly is came!!

Lukas M
Lukas, it is most likely the neck expanding ball portion of the decapping pin that contacted the case bottom.

The fix is the same per RCBS's product instructions: make sure the end of the expander ball is at least 3/16" above the bottom of the die. Set the decap pin so that it protrudes only just enough to consistently push the spent primers free.