Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-30-2018, 12:46 PM

Default Prussian Carp an Invasive Species could take over

Prussian carp are uniquely capable of destroying our waterbodies. They are an invasive species that could drastically unbalance the ecological integrity of fish habitat. The ACA is doing research on these animals to help us understand and manage them. If you catch one KILL IT!

Check out this podcast I recorded with the ACA about these crazy creatures.

Website link:
https://yourforestpodcast.com/episod...-britt-schmidt

Or search YourForest in iTunes, Stitcher or Googleplay
Old 04-30-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourForest View Post
Prussian carp are uniquely capable of destroying our waterbodies. They are an invasive species that could drastically unbalance the ecological integrity of fish habitat. The ACA is doing research on these animals to help us understand and manage them. If you catch one KILL IT!

Check out this podcast I recorded with the ACA about these crazy creatures.

Website link:
https://yourforestpodcast.com/episod...-britt-schmidt

Or search YourForest in iTunes, Stitcher or Googleplay
Too little too late they are here to stay and theres nothing anyone can do about it. At least the predators like eating them

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-30-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Too little too late they are here to stay and theres nothing anyone can do about it. At least the predators like eating them
We can slow down the spread, but we can’t stop it. They are here to stay.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:22 PM

Default Research to understand so we can manage rather then let them take over

They are definitely here to stay. Which is why we should do research to understand and try to manage them. Because if we don’t, it’s not impossible that other species might cease to exist. Understanding is the first step to being able to manage them. I would argue a Hands off approach is a bad idea
Old 04-30-2018, 03:03 PM

What native predators inhabit their native range?

I would hazard to guess pike, zander (Europe's version of walleye) very similar to what we have here in lower Bow/Oldman/South Sask.

Have they collapsed entire ecosystems in Europe where they have been around/introduced for 100's of years if not longer.

I've caught and eaten them in Europe on the Danube and they were very good actually.

I'm not saying that the carp being somewhere where they shouldn't be is a good thing but maybe some over reaction is taking place. As others have said I think they are here to stay so I hope everyone likes eating carp!! Since our native fish will be wiped out shortly as predicted by F&W the same people that have mismanaged our lakes and Reservoirs in Southern Alberta the last decade to the point where they are almost devoid of fish.

With regs allowing people to harvest big mature female pike, netting lakes like Newell gee I wonder why everything has ****-canned and now we cant even keep a single fish in Southern Alberta.

I'd blame it on the carp as well if I was them!!!
Old 04-30-2018, 03:38 PM

Default I hope your right

I hope your right and it doesn’t ruin anything for us. Personally, I prefer the natural state of things as much as I can get it. You never know the cascading Affect invasives could have and I would wager a bet on the safe side and try to manage them as much as possible. Regardless of what they taste like. Fish arnt the only thing they manage the water for. For example, we all drink that water. New diseases and more feces in the water add new challenges to cleaning it. I don’t know what the end result is. But I would rather they were not there and seeing as they are and will be, I would like them controlled where and if possible.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:02 PM

Looks like carp and mussel stew in the not to distant future.

Dodger
Old 04-30-2018, 07:08 PM

Common carp and Asian carp are much different critters.

Most agencies believe Asian Carp are invasive species.

I guess sitting on your butt while the Asian Carp infested tbe Lower Bow, Red Deer wasn't such a great idea.

Kinda sounds like WD or CWD all over again.

Don
Old 04-30-2018, 08:15 PM

Talking

Maybe the zebra mussels will filter out and clean up our filthy lakes a bit. Between the summer kills and winter kills and poor management for too long now a lot of alberta lakes are on the verge of becoming nothing more than distant memory to talk about around the campfire in Saskatchewan.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:23 AM

I guess sitting on your butt while the Asian Carp infested tbe Lower Bow, Red Deer wasn't such a great idea.

Don

They are a different species than the Asian Carp swimming in the USA. Hence Prussian they are more closely related to true carp and will interbreed with them and do. The Asian carp is a totally different animal.

I plan on doing my part to try to eradicate them this summer lol
Old 05-01-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanno View Post
What native predators inhabit their native range?

I would hazard to guess pike, zander (Europe's version of walleye) very similar to what we have here in lower Bow/Oldman/South Sask.

Have they collapsed entire ecosystems in Europe where they have been around/introduced for 100's of years if not longer.

I've caught and eaten them in Europe on the Danube and they were very good actually.

I'm not saying that the carp being somewhere where they shouldn't be is a good thing but maybe some over reaction is taking place. As others have said I think they are here to stay so I hope everyone likes eating carp!! Since our native fish will be wiped out shortly as predicted by F&W the same people that have mismanaged our lakes and Reservoirs in Southern Alberta the last decade to the point where they are almost devoid of fish.

With regs allowing people to harvest big mature female pike, netting lakes like Newell gee I wonder why everything has ****-canned and now we cant even keep a single fish in Southern Alberta.

I'd blame it on the carp as well if I was them!!!
Yup. I'll never forget the first ice derby I went to on Newell (1999 or 2000). Dozens of pike in the 10-15lb range frozen on the ice and handfuls of 20lbers. Senseless. "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."
Old 05-02-2018, 12:54 AM

Maybe a provincial Carp darting/angling bounty should be set up. Clip and save a carp fin. 100 fins gets you a ten dollar voucher at Cabela's or Canadian Tire. (equivalent to 10 cents fish bounty)

I wonder if the ABA (Alberta Bowhunters Assoc.) encourages bowfishing? The members could be darting carp in the problem areas.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-02-2018, 05:30 AM

Just like the caragana bush uqbiquity in the prairies
Old 05-02-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Maybe a provincial Carp darting/angling bounty should be set up. Clip and save a carp fin. 100 fins gets you a ten dollar voucher at Cabela's or Canadian Tire. (equivalent to 10 cents fish bounty)

I wonder if the ABA (Alberta Bowhunters Assoc.) encourages bowfishing? The members could be darting carp in the problem areas.
I like that idea. Any chance to get out with my bow would be very welcome.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post

I like the idea of the bounty. I believe there's a $5 bounty for pikeminnow in some places in Washington state. I'm not sure how effective bow hunting would be for Prussian carp. The vast majority are the size of a silver dollar.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:42 AM

Lots of big prussian carp around 1 pound plus Ive heard of much bigger too. They are here to stay just like the crayfish.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-02-2018, 12:37 PM

My daughter last fall caught 1.5lb-er in Red Deer River. I heard in Bow River people catching 2lb-ers on regular basis. Back i Europe they grow to 4-5lbs or more... conditions here may not be the best for that but I expect at least 3lb-ers in the future.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:53 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post

Don
Yup
All these computer fishermen couldn't find where to fish for them. As soon as they crawl into the Clearwater, maybe some of the northern people will wake up.
When they see how many eggs a female carries, people will realize the complete inability to stop the problem.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 AM

Default do tell

If anyone knows a particular pool on the Red Deer close to the city post it and I’ll do my part to slay as many as I can.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:26 AM

If anyone interested in these things and you are on Facebook there are a couple of good threads and lots of pics too. I think I saw someone in Red Deer going to lead a group out this weekend. Alberta Fishing Buddies is the group. You will need to join but just a formality as many others from here are on there too.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:52 AM

People are catching them in the Rosebud River. Find a pool and use a wire worm and maggot under a slip bobber, couple feet below.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 AM

How about we quit yakking about these fish and start to post locations and techniques to catch them. Lets work together and try and reduce the numbers instead of the usual Bee Ess that floats around here. It will benefit everybody.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddydog View Post
How about we quit yakking about these fish and start to post locations and techniques to catch them. Lets work together and try and reduce the numbers instead of the usual Bee Ess that floats around here. It will benefit everybody.
Its always like this on here, point me out where to go. Every slower hole on the southern half of Alberta's waterways. Isn't hunting for a spot half the fun. Everyone's favorite fishing hole in the Red Deer river has them. Look for any creek entering the river, they will be trying to migrate up it. Millions of goldfish aren't hard to find.

Might want to wait for the rivers to be open for fishing
Also look for flooded ponds along the rivers.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddydog View Post
i thought I just did that ???
Old 05-06-2018, 12:17 AM

Maybe everyone keeping it on the down low so our kick azz fishery experts and our stellar n.d.p government doesn't implement a tag system or maybe not let anyone keep them like the perch in the trout ponds because it might encourage others to introduce invasive species. Everything happens for a reason guys. I figure that's the big knee jerk reaction to suddenly shut down the pike because they figure the couple hundred pike that are left are gonna control millions of carp. You bet. That's a good lesson for the clowns managing and regulating the alberta fisheries for the last 20 years. They'll never admit it tho.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:22 AM

In the end the carp will have the same effect as sticklebacks that carpet the bottom of certain lakes when the predators can't keep control....total winter kill of everything including your precious wallies because of the sheer numbers of gills in the water body sucking up all the oxygen.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
In the end the carp will have the same effect as sticklebacks that carpet the bottom of certain lakes when the predators can't keep control....total winter kill of everything including your precious wallies because of the sheer numbers of gills in the water body sucking up all the oxygen.
Sticklebacks are native and part of a healthy ecosystem. Invasive Prussian Carp degrade and alter habitat quality (and well being of Native species) by disturbing sediment during foraging.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Maybe everyone keeping it on the down low so our kick azz fishery experts and our stellar n.d.p government doesn't implement a tag system or maybe not let anyone keep them like the perch in the trout ponds because it might encourage others to introduce invasive species. Everything happens for a reason guys. I figure that's the big knee jerk reaction to suddenly shut down the pike because they figure the couple hundred pike that are left are gonna control millions of carp. You bet. That's a good lesson for the clowns managing and regulating the alberta fisheries for the last 20 years. They'll never admit it tho.
Tags for carp, or not alowed to keep them sounds about right for this Provence of idiot management. We are the laughing stock of not only Canada but the US as
well. Had to listen to the jeers and jokes for a week straight from some bios up from the states on last years goose hunt. It’s a joke, we are a joke.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:31 AM

If they can be bowfished I'd be in. So tell me all you guys who see these fish, are they in shallow enough water for you to see them? Do they come into the shallows to spawn the same way the carp in the states do? When I've been blowfishing in Montana (without all the proper lighting etc.) I've seen boats with hundreds of fish a day.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:22 AM

Smile

Hi guys,I am new one starting fishing, I am wondering where I can find this kind carp around red deer, I tried a couple places along Blindman River where I can access but got nothing. It is highly preciated if somebody can give me a spot where the carps are hiding, thanks.

Tags
fishing, invasive species