Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-12-2014, 01:10 PM

Default Dark Walk ?????

I've always gone in to my grounds in the dark and left in the dark. I'm beginning to wonder if walking in with the red light option on my flashlight might not be a better idea. Going in the other day i couldn't help cracking branches and banging into branches non stop.....i even tripped when my foot fell into a hole, i pulled out the light said screw it and made it the rest of the way silent. Opinions on this please, is it better to make the noise or red light it, i really have not clue on this one. Thanks S
Old 10-12-2014, 01:14 PM

IHMO...light
Old 10-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Banned

No I'm not a salesman or rep. for everready but I always wear their headlamp when I'm walking in or out in the dark. Besides 2 settings of white light they also have the red and green. I like keeping my hands free as much as possible.
Quite honestly, once your eyes adjust you can ussualy walk in or out without lights, if your used to the route.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:25 AM

I like walking in the pitch black darkness...nothing gets the blood pumping like a Ruffy taking flight at your feet...slipping in a nice big ole fresh cow pie...dropping in a moo moo bull pit that he dug out two feet deep to get that gravity feeling...kicking the poqupine...or staring nose to nose with a moo moo cow and both of you coming unglued and find out your both running full out in the exact direction...
-Walking full trot into a barbwire fence letting out a very audible DOHHH!!!

Its what adventures are made of...lol

Dont know why I like it but I do...think it stems to my Wilderness Survival Courses where we instruct night travel or night vision, and aquiring "Night eyes" most times once a person aquires "night eyes", one can navigate very well even in darkness if path is known somewhat.

Any light source and it can ruin night vision for 1/2 to 1 hour...

...Gotta love it when your traveling with someone that has to have the
ba-zillion candle power head lamp light and always turns to talk to you...
than your twice as blind now than in total darkness....lol

Neil
Old 10-14-2014, 10:48 AM

^^^^^^LOL.......i unlike you hate walking into branches and barb wire! My question is still the same, will a red light do more damage to my stealth than me stumbling through the woods. I took a different path in the other morning due a wack of Muleys i saw once i parked my truck on the property. I was cracking branches and making a rukus on my way in to the stand and thought, ok i just screwed up my morning and flipped on the red light and made it the rest of the way dead silent. Problem was i didn't see a deer that morning, i did cull the coyote population a bit though.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:55 AM

If you're walking into goose hunt, use the green light. It illuminates goose poop very well to let you know where the birds have been feeding.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOCH View Post
^^^^^^LOL.......i unlike you hate walking into branches and barb wire! My question is still the same, will a red light do more damage to my stealth than me stumbling through the woods. I took a different path in the other morning due a wack of Muleys i saw once i parked my truck on the property. I was cracking branches and making a rukus on my way in to the stand and thought, ok i just screwed up my morning and flipped on the red light and made it the rest of the way dead silent. Problem was i didn't see a deer that morning, i did cull the coyote population a bit though.
lol...sorry..answer is an yes and no..

could write a book on night vision..

a few facts on night vision...
Unfortunately there are a number of drawbacks using only night vision.

Among these are:
•The inability to distinguish colors, we dont see color at night
•No detail can be seen (about the same as 20/200 vision in daylight).
•That nothing can be seen directly in front of the eyes (no rods in the center of the retina), you must learn to look about 15-20° off center.
•Only motion can be detected well, therefore you may have to learn to move your eyes to detect something that doesn't move.
•Objects that aren't moving appear to move (autokinesis). This has probably led to a number of plane crashes.
If you need to see directly in front of you or see detail you need red. Like many myths the red light myth has some basis in fact. The red truth?

Why red? The center 1.5% of your retina (the fovea) which provides you with most detailed vision is packed almost exclusively with red sensitive cones.

SO in Short

YES......

But only if LED or nm [nanometers] / luminous intensity or Lumen's are at the right brightness...
Too bright and and it can effect night vision as white light...

The red light will give you light...but without color..[other than red obviously] at the right Lumens without effecting night vision as other colors including white so it is better than no light...

lowest at 1 Lumen red light = Full moon

yup this is the short version...lol

Neil
Old 10-14-2014, 11:57 AM

Watch The Walking Dead the night before and use no light lol
Old 10-14-2014, 12:24 PM

Did see a movie called "The night of the Grizzly" the night before....

It remarkable how many dark objects look like bear sitting there sharpening his four inch fangs with a six inch claw in the dark...

lol
Neil
Old 10-14-2014, 01:19 PM

Thanks for all the visuals i will now have in my head walking in.......i might just become a purely daytime hunter LOL
Old 10-14-2014, 01:21 PM

...Lol
Old 10-14-2014, 03:54 PM

Default I would hate to meet up with this in the dark.

Ever since my nephew sent me this pic, I haven't enjoyed my nighttime strolls out of the swamp back to the quad quite as much as I used to.

BTW, I very seldom use a light to walk in or out; as previously mentioned once you let your eyes get accustomed to the lack of light it is amazing how much you can actually "see".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Creepy game cam pic.jpg (9.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 10-14-2014, 03:55 PM

It's an interesting question. From 10 minutes on google, red is one of the colours that deer have the hardest time seeing so it would be more likely to show up as some sort of dim grey light which would probably be better than cracking branches all the way to the stand. Not that I have any real proof of this but it seems to make sense.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:21 PM

Well, if you don't use a light, you may want to consider wearing clear safety glasses when you walk to your stand. I almost took an eye out a couple years back walking in to my stand in the dark on a treeline, that one nasty branch hanging right at face height. Got a bad infection, was pretty dicey for a while. Now I always pack glasses if I do decide to walk in the dark. A red light is a good idea, but you still might not see that one branch hanging down to take your eye out. Learn from my near miss.....TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-14-2014, 04:33 PM

Getting back to the science of the matter, Human eyes can distinguish more different shades of green than any other color range in the visible light spectrum. Now, that being said, you need enough of it to register in your eyes. This may be enough to attract some unwanted attention and scare off your game.
I would suck it up and deal with the ruined night vision with a headlamp or maybe make a trail to your stand a few weeks prior to when you intend on hunting and learn it beforehand so you don't need light to be sneaky.
If you go in early enough, your night vision will return before you can legally shoot anyway so it shouldn't make much of a difference for your hunt. If anything, I would wager your success will be better with the headlamp as the animals are mainly hearing based at night and will spook from an area with the loud yell from walking into barbed wire.

Run a small light, even a little key-chain light.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Well, if you don't use a light, you may want to consider wearing clear safety glasses when you walk to your stand. I almost took an eye out a couple years back walking in to my stand in the dark on a treeline, that one nasty branch hanging right at face height. Got a bad infection, was pretty dicey for a while. Now I always pack glasses if I do decide to walk in the dark. A red light is a good idea, but you still might not see that one branch hanging down to take your eye out. Learn from my near miss.....TC
And that right there is some damn good advice!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 10-15-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswins View Post
Getting back to the science of the matter, Human eyes can distinguish more different shades of green than any other color range in the visible light spectrum. Now, that being said, you need enough of it to register in your eyes. This may be enough to attract some unwanted attention and scare off your game.
I would suck it up and deal with the ruined night vision with a headlamp or maybe make a trail to your stand a few weeks prior to when you intend on hunting and learn it beforehand so you don't need light to be sneaky.
If you go in early enough, your night vision will return before you can legally shoot anyway so it shouldn't make much of a difference for your hunt. If anything, I would wager your success will be better with the headlamp as the animals are mainly hearing based at night and will spook from an area with the loud yell from walking into barbed wire.

Run a small light, even a little key-chain light.
Im not sure an audiable Dohhh! is a "loud yell"...lol ...which happened at where truck was parked and eyes havent adjusted yet...just adding little humor there...
but I am also sure the Dohh! isnt as alarming as the 750 Lumens headlamp my buddy uses thats flashing all over the country side like a strobing UFO that you can see and will blind ya from a half mile away..

I agree with you on the small light...bigger is NOT better here!!!..

Neil