Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-03-2015, 11:36 AM

Default First bow purchase

Hey guys. Planning on buying my first new bow in the next week or so. Just curious what the process is like to get it all set up? How far does a shop normally go to get you shooting? Do they help you with paper tuning and such?
Old 04-03-2015, 11:49 AM
Banned

Depends which shop you go to. I imagine they will all set you right up with accessories and tuning, but some may charge quite a bit for that service. If they get all your accessories on, set your rest about 3/4"+/- off the riser with your arrow centered on your Berger hole, sight in your 20yd pin, paper tuning at home is easy if you have a target. All I do to paper tune is cut a couple holes in a cardboard box so your arrow can pass through, then tape or tack a piece of paper over the hole and set the target up about 3' behind the box and you're set.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:50 PM

I would head over to Jimbows, I walked in there like a deer in the headlights not knowing a thing about what I was doing. They were so helpful and made me feel very comfortable about getting my first bow.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Depends which shop you go to. I imagine they will all set you right up with accessories and tuning, but some may charge quite a bit for that service. If they get all your accessories on, set your rest about 3/4"+/- off the riser with your arrow centered on your Berger hole, sight in your 20yd pin, paper tuning at home is easy if you have a target. All I do to paper tune is cut a couple holes in a cardboard box so your arrow can pass through, then tape or tack a piece of paper over the hole and set the target up about 3' behind the box and you're set.
PRIME bows like the arrow higher up than center in the berger hole. Just saying in case he goes PRIME.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
PRIME bows like the arrow higher up than center in the berger hole. Just saying in case he goes PRIME.

I haven't broke down and bought a PRIME yet, so I'm sure you're right on that. Good to know though, my numbers are a good starting point, especially if it's not set up for you at the shop. They'll get you on the paper then tune to perfection from there.

I have never really looked at the Berger hole on a PRIME, how far up are you set?
Old 04-03-2015, 02:24 PM

I wasnt being critical just so u know though.

Yeah ur numbers are good. But i even read it on a PRIMe info thingy about it. I can see the berger hole under my arrow.. id have to take a pic to show u but not near my bow right now
Old 04-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I wasnt being critical just so u know though.

Yeah ur numbers are good. But i even read it on a PRIMe info thingy about it. I can see the berger hole under my arrow.. id have to take a pic to show u but not near my bow right now
I didn't think you were being critical, it's all good, and good to know. Now I'm wondering how that HTR would line up being there is no nock travel?
Old 04-08-2015, 08:26 AM

We set up the bow with all accessories in cost...center shot and tune... and pride on shooter grouping three arrows in the Gold before they leave...

We dont work with paper tune on bow on initial purchase as it is pointless as center serving at nock point may be tight new which effect paper tune huge...plus strings are "settling" [stretching] so bow specs are changing constant until entire bow settles and is broke in...

We usually get the shooter to simply take the bow home and enjoy in for a week or so or at least 150 arrows...
Then bring it back in and we do a complete re-spec tune and center shot tune on bow...and then paper tune, walk back etc all including in initial purchase...

Neil
Old 04-08-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
We set up the bow with all accessories in cost...center shot and tune... and pride on shooter grouping three arrows in the Gold before they leave...

We dont work with paper tune on bow on initial purchase as it is pointless as center serving at nock point may be tight new which effect paper tune huge...plus strings are "settling" [stretching] so bow specs are changing constant until entire bow settles and is broke in...

We usually get the shooter to simply take the bow home and enjoy in for a week or so or at least 150 arrows...
Then bring it back in and we do a complete re-spec tune and center shot tune on bow...and then paper tune, walk back etc all including in initial purchase...

Neil
That's awesome Neil. Not going to find that at a big box store from what I have seen.

To the OP if you are still looking for a bow head to Jimbow's and the Calgary archery center. Chat with the sales people / techs and get a feel for how they treat you. Ask about set-up and service and see what they say.
They should measure up your draw length, get a feel for what you are looking for in a bow as far as features and budget and let you shoot some so you can get a feel for them. From there they should properly install all accessories on the bow and give you a run down on how to make adjustments. They should get you started on the line and help you with form and on your way to sighting your first pin.
They should be happy to make small tweeks to your set up if things are not right and continue to answer your questions as you progress as an archer.

Although my go-to shop is CAC, mostly because I prefer the range and its closer to me, over-all I have had more friendly and helpful service from Jimbow's.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:25 PM

Thanks guys. I went to CAC only because the only place that sells APA which is what I enjoyed the most. Talked to them and they are going to install everything and get it shooting. Not sure how far after that. Didn't ask that much. Ordered the bow I want and chose accessories. Hopefully it all works out. Some of the people there not the most friendly or helpful but I didn't have much choice for the bow I wanted.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:07 PM

They all do seem a bit more standoffish at CAC but you will come out with a nice setup......just ask for the help with the shooting and technique and they will be more than happy to help you im sure.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:20 PM

Jimbows welcomes all brands of bows.
Took my new Athens Solace to Jimbows Edmonton last night and Carson had it all setup in no time. Two sight adjustments and the bow was bang on at 20 yards zero windage adjustment needed.
Nothing but friendly service from both Carson and Dave everytime I have been in there.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2fish View Post
Thanks guys. I went to CAC only because the only place that sells APA which is what I enjoyed the most. Talked to them and they are going to install everything and get it shooting. Not sure how far after that. Didn't ask that much. Ordered the bow I want and chose accessories. Hopefully it all works out. Some of the people there not the most friendly or helpful but I didn't have much choice for the bow I wanted.
APA great choice! Love mine. I shoot a Mamba M7. If you have issues with it once you start shooting there is an APA staff shooter at CAC. His name is Cory. Nice guy, and knows his stuff especially APA. He shoots a green APA target bow.
What model did you end up with??
Old 04-09-2015, 09:24 AM

I ordered the mamba air. I just fell in love with the feel of it and how it shot. I think I may have talked to him a while back when I was test driving bows. He's the one that Brian sent me to and got me into the APAs. Can't wait to get it and shoot it. 2-3 weeks seems like a long time
Old 04-09-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I ordered the mamba air. I just fell in love with the feel of it and how it shot. I think I may have talked to him a while back when I was test driving bows. He's the one that Brian sent me to and got me into the APAs. Can't wait to get it and shoot it. 2-3 weeks seems like a long time
Great Choice..The APA Mamba Air [have both Viper AIR also] is a sweet shooting bow..fast and although a short ATA ...it is smooth and accurate...The first Duel Cam bow I am Shooting in 20 years...

Neil
Old 04-09-2015, 10:36 AM

Ya I was impressed how smooth it was. Especially as I was comparing mostly to single can bows. Can't wait to get shooting again
Old 04-09-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Nice! Yeah I remember waiting for mine to arrive felt like a long time! Don't be afraid to call and check on it, they aren't always the most on the ball when it comes to calling people when things come in.
Enjoy the new bow, I am no expert but if you see me there shooting (chubby 6' guy with a M7, camo riser, black limbs, green / black accessories) say hi or if you have a question I can answer i would be happy to help.