Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-04-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Jiffy Question

I think I'm going to break down & buy a Jiffy this year, I saw a few on sale for $359 at Peavy Mart but they are only 2HP w/ 8" drill. Just wondering if that is enough power for a 8" hole, the three horse is a little more money but it might be worth it overall. I also see they have 10" with the 3 HP, all I've ever used is a 6 or 7" hand crank so anything would be an improvement over that , Anyone got a preferance or recomendation?

There are a few others on the market as well but the Jiffy seems to be the name brand out there. I looked at one that had a Huskavana engine (I think) but it was double the price of the Jiffy w/ the Techumsee.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck$ View Post
I think I'm going to break down & buy a Jiffy this year, I saw a few on sale for $359 at Peavy Mart but they are only 2HP w/ 8" drill. Just wondering if that is enough power for a 8" hole, the three horse is a little more money but it might be worth it overall. I also see they have 10" with the 3 HP, all I've ever used is a 6 or 7" hand crank so anything would be an improvement over that , Anyone got a preferance or recomendation?

There are a few others on the market as well but the Jiffy seems to be the name brand out there. I looked at one that had a Huskavana engine (I think) but it was double the price of the Jiffy w/ the Techumsee.
look in the bargainfinder!some good deals out there.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Jiffy 3 horse

Welcome to the world of 4 foot ice. It could be that at Slave this year, and you could need an extension bar. I'm getting old, as I remember many years of heavy ice. When you get a deep hole, especially running an extension, you could have a heck of alot of chips to clear, which really bags out the 2 hp. For MOST of the time the 2 horse is fine, but when the going gets tough, ... Remember, most guys who own one use them for 10 years without a problem, so go big or go home. Sooner or later, you will appreciate the extra power.

Drewski
Old 12-04-2007, 08:45 PM
jrs

I have the 3hp 10'' auger and it works well. I've drilled many thousands of holes with it over the past 3 or 4 winters and it sure beats the hand auger when there's 20''+ of ice. The only reason we went with the 10'' is we have friends that specialize in catching monster pike, they always said go big or go home. I've only seen one fish in my lifetime that had trouble coming through a 8'' hole, that pike weighed 36lbs. That kind of fish isn't caught very often.
I'd imagine the 2hp would work just fine, my uncle has an old 2hp we used growing up and it always performed well.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:29 AM
-NDN-

the Jiffy Stealth STX 3hp is a Killer!!!! destroys all ice in its path!! nice thing about it is you can overlap holes
Old 12-05-2007, 08:34 AM

A friend of mine bought the 2hp Jiffy 8 in auger 2 years ago. We never had a problem even with the extension on.As far as the ice chips being removed, just lift and lower the auger a few times while drilling. You can pull out big fish out of an 8in hole.
Myself, I have a Jiffy 3Hp-10in, but I used to fish Lake Trout alot. i've had it for at least 15 years now. I don't believe in "go big or go home".
Old 12-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Default How much weight difference between 2 & 3 Horse?

If weight is an issue, vs extra power, how much is the difference? I bet that it is negligible. Problem with 2 stroke engines is that as they get older and see more use, they lose power. A 2 horse may start out working fine, but in the long run, the extra power could keep the unit's performance up, as opposed to bagging out under a heavy load as it gets used more.

Drewski
Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 PM

Don't even mess around with the cheap augers; get a husqvarna; they are half the weight, have the the best motor & blow out blue smoke! Plus, it will be the last auger you half to buy!!

http://international.husqvarna.com/n...5.aspx?cid=128
Old 12-13-2007, 08:36 PM

I have a 3hp Jiffy with 8 in lived in NWT and used extension tons for 5 ft ice Buddy lived in rankin inlet and they had to go thru as much as 9 ft ice they stood on snowmobiles holding auger above heads he had a jiffy 3 hp and 8 in too had mine for years works great 8 in covers most fish in a lifetime that you would pull thru ice

Gord
Old 12-13-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoL1No1 View Post
Don't even mess around with the cheap augers; get a husqvarna; they are half the weight, have the the best motor & blow out blue smoke! Plus, it will be the last auger you half to buy!!

http://international.husqvarna.com/n...5.aspx?cid=128
Is there any dealers that stock them in the Red Deer area? Canadian Tire had the Normark one last year w/ the Husky engine but the quit stocking them (around $800 I believe). There were 2 things I really liked on that auger # 1 was the engine & # 2 the weight (not sure but I think it was around 15lbs). I see it only has 1.2HP but like anything it is all in the gearing.

Someone made a coment about mounting a Honda engine on one of these things, that would be a good unit Honda reliability, no smoke, no mixing gas.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Someone made a coment about mounting a Honda engine on one of these things
Likely me, I mention this every year since I picked up a 10" Jiffy about 5-6 years ago. I would still like to see if it can be done. If I was living in the city I'd pop by a Honda dealer with the Tec. engine to see if they can match it up.
I really need to try this in the summer. Each year around this time I remember the auger, but am short on cash, again !

One more thing. Last year someone told me to use the Opti2 oil. So I picked some up, read the instructions on mixing and yes, no more smoking and oil dripping on the auger .
Keep in mind that on the Opti2 package it says all 2 stroke engines. Seized a small tiller engine and the weed wacker nearly as well. Not enough oil. So for now all I'm using is my boat oil (TCW3) and at the right amounts.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:10 AM

I have a 10" Jiffy 3HP for sale c/w some accessories. PM me if anyone is interested.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
Likely me, I mention this every year since I picked up a 10" Jiffy about 5-6 years ago. I would still like to see if it can be done. If I was living in the city I'd pop by a Honda dealer with the Tec. engine to see if they can match it up.
I really need to try this in the summer. Each year around this time I remember the auger, but am short on cash, again !

One more thing. Last year someone told me to use the Opti2 oil. So I picked some up, read the instructions on mixing and yes, no more smoking and oil dripping on the auger .
Keep in mind that on the Opti2 package it says all 2 stroke engines. Seized a small tiller engine and the weed wacker nearly as well. Not enough oil. So for now all I'm using is my boat oil (TCW3) and at the right amounts.
I have no doubt that it can be done but at what cost I don't even want to know. There are machinists out there that if you can dream it they will build it.

As for the OPTI 2 oil I use it in a few things weed wackers chain saw etc, the thing you have to be carefull with is the ratio of oil to gas, I see the Jiffy engines need 24:1 yet my chain saw uses 40:1. Thats were the 4 stroke engines would be nice, no need to have a bunch of different gas cans with different mixtures in them.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck$ View Post
Is there any dealers that stock them in the Red Deer area? Canadian Tire had the Normark one last year w/ the Husky engine but the quit stocking them (around $800 I believe). There were 2 things I really liked on that auger # 1 was the engine & # 2 the weight (not sure but I think it was around 15lbs). I see it only has 1.2HP but like anything it is all in the gearing.
When I made my first post in this thread; I made a typo, I should of said "they are half the weight, have the the best motor & Don't blow out blue smoke!

Anyways, There must be a place in Red Deer that sells them; I'd phone:

Husqvarna Canada
(Alberta) 14811 - 134th Avenue
T5I 4V5 Edmonton, Alberta
INTERNATIONAL
Tel: (780) 453-3791
Fax: (780) 455-7569
Web: www.husqvarna.ca

Last edited by VoL1No1; 12-17-2007 at 01:40 PM.