Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-26-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Private and Lease Land Access

I think most of us can relate to having had some issues with accessing either private or lease land for hunting in the past. There are arguments from both sides of the fence - the hunter as well as the land owner/lease holder. I don't want this to become a bashing thread, but I would be curious to hear some constructive feedback perhaps from both sides on how this issue could improve.

I have a thought on it....

In Wyoming there is a landowner coupon that comes with your tag. When you are successful and fill your tag you complete this coupon and you leave it with the land owner. I believe it entitles the landowner to $10 (which opens up a whole new can of worms in Canada), but the financial reward could be ignored and avoided here in Canada. Rather than a cash reward maybe the coupons could be used at tax time some how?
Perhaps another angle that could be used is proof that they have allowed access to their land for game animals to be harvested. That way if they have any insurance claims due to game destroying property they can provide proof of allowing access for hunters to assist in game population control on their land. No coupons to provide to insurance, well then they haven't done their part to try and control the population which is causing damage on their property. The coupon would also provide a connection to the hunter and a means by which to track them if there are any issues with them while hunting on the land owner or lease holders property.

Thoughts?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:31 PM

Hmmm...thats pretty interesting....never heard of that before but its something that probably could work. I'd be interested to see what other ideas/discussion come of this thread....hopefully all constructive...
Old 06-26-2007, 05:39 PM

I know in some larger ranch's down south they track who goes on their property and then provide slips of paper to carry on you and on the dash of your truck stating you have permission to hunt that land. Now these are leases not private land. I always liked the concept as it alleviated the lease holders concerns of damage etc as they could determine who was responsible from their record keeping. I don't know if a similar system would work for private land. I know as a hunter I have no problem with seeking permission and providing this information, but perhaps on a large scale some landowners would not like this record keeping.

I'm interested to hear the feedback on this and also to see what the government comes up with its land use framework.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:41 PM

Minimal effort from landowners required. The coupon (has your name, address, licence number info all on it - you just sign and date it) is part of the hunters tag, fill your tag and complete the coupon and give it to the landowner. We should all be speaking with with the land owners/lease holders anyway but it just gives another opportunity to continue to keep communication going between the two parties.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 06-26-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Hey, that sounds pretty good. Something like this may be all it might take to bring some of the land owners back, who may not presently allow hunters, due to past problems. Sounds pretty straight forward, and simplicity is good, would be interesting to see what one of these look like. In the past i have made up business card sized information cards that i have handed out to landowners. All info is on it, from vehicle and plate, to drivers licence, and through to caliber of rifle being used in the event of a mishap, so as to be legally responsible, and cleared of anything{like a shot cow}. Sure seemed to get their attention, and they seemed to warm up to a guy when they saw a small offering of responsibility. One of the best ive ever seen, is a landowner where i hunt mule bucks every few years. He has maps made up of his land, and labels all access points you can use, etc, etc. But you have to check in every day to be brought up to speed on recent changes, like cows being moved etc. anyways....

keep a strain on er.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:23 PM
50BMG

I think that sounds like a great idea.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:45 PM

I know a couple ranch near Chain Lakes that issue a written permission with the following Info:
(1)Your Name , Address and Telephone #
(2) Make of Truck and License Plate
(3) Name of other hunters in your group
(4) Type of Gun/caliber
(5) Your Signature(s)

Place the original copy of the permit on your dashboard while hunting on their property.

hrlakay
Old 06-28-2007, 08:12 AM

Heres a site about accessing leased public lands.

They cannot refuse permission, but you have to ask for it. Unless there is plausible reasons for not letting you on can they refuse you. If they refuse you, for simple reasons, they can be charged and other such penalties. Leased land is finally ours again, but they were very quiet on announcing this.

This includes the multi-sections of leases in our foothills.

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/lands/using...d/default.aspx
Old 06-28-2007, 08:19 AM

Obviously discussed in the past several times, but gaining access to the leased lands is not as easy as just asking. Several lease-holders have restrictions on the number of people they allow on (rightfully so) and several have restrictions on the lease access. Also, its quite easy for a leaseholder to deny access because they have 'given' access to someone else.

Several interesting problems with the leaseholder access, although overall the system has worked well. I have never had an issue with it, and the only place I was denied access was due to fire hazard. I called the leaseholder back a week later after some rain and was allowed on with no problems.

Some have had major problems with it...I've never really had much of a problem. The mediator can be used for problems and from what I've heard, it works quite well. Still, if a leaseholder is not cooperative, he/she has quite a few options to attempt to block access....
Old 06-28-2007, 08:33 AM

As co-owners of these lands, we have many options (as shown in the site) to access these places also if no reasonable example has been given to disclude us. But who wants to fight.

Many of the leaseholders I have dealt with have been great. One mentioned that i was the first in years to ask permission. And man did I find a few great spots. Thought they were all taken. A buddy had a refusal overturned as the leasholder thought he owned it all untill a government official straightened him out. His excuse was, its all his, I dont want anyone on it. He has 9 sections of lease and a hundred cattle. These leases were barely used for agriculture. His home wasnt on any of these leases nor were there any outbuildings. Just wanted it all to himself. One example of how the government finally works for us.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:39 AM

Yep definatly good to have the new program in effect to work out some of the greed. I think as long as both sides realize there has to be a working relationship, then all will be fine.

I've heard of a few hunters getting very pushy about their 'right' to access land, and several have TOLD leaseholders they will be driving on and they wont be stopped. I've also heard of guys being refused as there was already a bunch of hunters on the land, and they pretty much told the landowners to take a hike.

There needs to be good cooperation and understanding on both sides, and I think you'll see hunter opportunities grow when relationships grow with landowners....
Old 06-28-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I've also heard of guys being refused as there was already a bunch of hunters on the land, and they pretty much told the landowners to take a hike.

Leaseholders or landholders?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:59 AM

Leaseholders.....