Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-03-2017, 11:53 AM

Default Intro and Help Request re: Castin a Spinning Reel

Hi Everyone,

My name is Melanie and my son (8) and I are getting out into the world after a 24 year hiatus on my part. So far we've done a bit of camping in the Bow Valley PP and Carseland areas.

I'm hoping I might be able to get some direction from you more experienced folks

At the moment we're trying to learn how to fish (I did it quite a bit as a small child but not since). My son's doing well with an inexpensive kid's spincaster, but for the life of me I can't seem to get the timing down with my spinning reel! I have an Ugly Stick Elite (6' ladies) graphite with 8lb spider wire mono. I've been trying to cast spoons of various sizes, spinners, jigs with soft bait, all in different combinations of sinkers/slip shots/no added weights/bobbers.

I've not been able to get a cast beyond about 20-30 feet either overhand or side casting. What tends to happen is I cast and a pile of line follows the lure out but there's just...zero distance to the lure itself. I've watched an absolute pile of youtube videos and have been reading everything I can find on it but haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what it is I'm doing wrong.

I'm guessing it has something to do with where I'm releasing the line but I'm not able to find anything on when that release should be.

We both really like being out there but since we don't have a boat we're limited to the shore so my casting distance needs to improve!

ANY tips or advice would be hugely appreciated.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:00 PM

8lb test and a 6 foot rod, should be able to fling it pretty good. Instead of a big sweeping cast, try just snapping your wrists and realeasing. Other than that, try casting someone else's rod. If you can't cast that either it will rule out equipment.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:01 PM

If to much line is coming off I would say you have to much on. Don't make the line flush with the top of the spool leave it a ways down in the spool. Or what might be happening is line twist and it's tangled as you cast. Make sure you have a good quality swivel on the line at the hook. Practice makes perfect when fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2017, 12:02 PM

And Hi Melanie. Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:04 PM

Sounds like you might have a loosely wound reel, that might affect your casting distance. What part of the province are you located in?
Old 08-03-2017, 12:10 PM

Buy a hoola hoop. Tie on a 3/4 oz weight with no hook. Go out to a grassy area, place the hoop 10 feet away. Cast side arm, forehand and backhand until you can land the weight in the hoop every time. Then move the hoop 5 feet further. Repeat. Eventually your brain and muscles will coordinate without much thought.

It's a millisecond difference between good release and flop. You can't think that fast, you just have to do it. Accuracy is more important than distance.

Possible you have a line issue. Any fishing shop should be able to check it for you.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:15 PM

If you can get it out 20-30 feet and your casting pretty accurately then you've probably got the timing down on the release. But your line shouldn't be landing in a pile behind your lure.

I'm not positive what could be causing that to happen. Perhaps your line has too much memory and is coiled from being on the reel? I use Stren Flourocarbon and have no complaints.

Otherwise try using the bend of the rod to help propel your lures further. You can get some real distance that way.

Watch this guy do it slow at first and then full speed. https://youtu.be/IyIdox4hWeE
Old 08-03-2017, 10:49 PM

My guess is line memory, too much line, or not enough tension on the line when it was spooled. I remember this happening when my friend who is new at fishing didn't have enough tension on his line it would free spool in a clump rather than roll off the reel (if that makes sense?).
Old 08-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Suspended User

My guess is that you have bought combo kits, with cheap line. Spend $15-20 on a roll of new line. Follow the others advice and practice on the grass.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:52 PM

Aha!! Got it figured out - I had the line threaded up through that hook ring near the handle!! Now I'm getting out much, much further!!!

Thanks so much everyone 😄
Old 08-04-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melabee View Post
Aha!! Got it figured out - I had the line threaded up through that hook ring near the handle!! Now I'm getting out much, much further!!!

Thanks so much everyone 😄
Hahaha... good news!!
Old 08-05-2017, 04:14 PM

Welcome to the forum! Glad you got it sorted out! You're not the first to have done this and it's a good tip for others new to spin casting.