Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-01-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDude View Post

So awesome waiting 30 min for 2 clowns who backed up their truck to load up their canoe on the public launch.

Luckily I'd had a good day so I just put the troller on virtual anchor and cleaned up my boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So where's the lineup of trucks and trailers trying to launch or pick up boats? The launch seems deserted. Did you ask the person to move the canoe over?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:04 PM

I used to launch and fish from an aluminum boat off a trailer, then switched to a canoe and finally a kayak. Frankly, I would rather launch a canoe or kayak anywhere other than the boat ramp. A strip of sandy shore is ideal. The ramp is designed for TRAILERS. If I have no choice I'll back down the ramp, unload, then move the boat to the shore on either side and get out of Dodge.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:23 PM

They should put an end to photo radar and start handing out improper boat launching tickets instead.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Had an engine problem a little while ago on Lake of the Woods with high temp alarms at low rpms. Seemed like just an impeller problem, but I didn't have all my tools and didn't want to ruin the rest of my vacation if it turned out to be something more, so I called the local Mercury dealer. They were two weeks behind but said if I got it in by 5 pm the would do it first thing in the morning. Turns out I wasn't the only boat having troubles. There was a guy from Detroit that had a shop try to fix his boat and they were having troubles figuring it out. Seven times they thought they had it fixed and each time he put it in the water it broke down again. So what do you do on the eighth time in that situation? You back your truck down and launch on the only ramp in the area, lock your truck, and leave the trailer in the water to go test the boat. I got there at about 4:30 and the truck was sitting there. I asked some people on a lodge deck beside the launch if they knew whose it was or where they went and they didn't know, but it had been there a while. Eighth time wasn't lucky because 25 minutes later a boat comes in on the electric trolling motor to load the boat. He came over to apologize when I got loaded. It was tough to stay ticked off. He was like a dog that had been beat too much. Detroit dealer fixed his boat and guaranteed it would be good for his vacation, got there and it immediately broke down, buddies left him there and went to the island lodge they were booked at, only one rental boat available and it could only hold his three buddies, a local repair shop kept replacing parts saying now it should work and it kept breaking down on the water test, vacation almost over and he hadn't wet a line. As he said, no excuse for the lack of common sense or courtesy, but he sure was having a tough week.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:39 PM

I was there today and every canoe/kayak I saw launch did so on the rocks beside the launch and most of them carried their boats from up top.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I was there today and every canoe/kayak I saw launch did so on the rocks beside the launch and most of them carried their boats from up top.
probably afraid some entitled power boater would post their picture on some fishing forum for using a PUBLIC launch....

mack