Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2017, 10:37 AM

Default Evinrude etec

Looking at a used boat with the ETEC Anyone have any experience with this motor and if so pros and cons would be nice. They have a great warranty but never have owned a 2 stroke so I am hesitant.

Any info is appreciated
Old 07-02-2017, 11:03 AM

I had a 2014 200HO, it was the original Gen 1. I haven't had the chance to try the new G2, but I'd really like to.

It was a great motor. Very torquey, lots of top end power, and excellent fuel economy. Oil consumption was very minimal once it was through the break in period.

It was louder than a Verado but significantly quieter than an Optimax. You get some two stroke smell (which I love lol) but it definitely doesn't smoke like the old school 2 strokes or even the Opti.

I loved the self winterizing feature for those "end of season" days.

I'd definitely own another one.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:46 PM

Generally speaking Rudes are great motors. There is a brief window of time prior to the BRP design where there were some "less than ideal" motors produced but they were, even at their worst, better than the optimax.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:59 PM

I just bought an Alumacraft 14.5 with a 25 hp Etec. Put about 10-12 hrs on it and good on fuel. Its not as loud trolling as my 4hp Merc 4 stroke. The Merc is now just for emergency.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:59 PM

Pretty good motors. Some of the first years of etec had problems. The biggest thing is it's a 2 stroke. One tank of bad gas, a blockage in the fuel system an injection pump that stops working and you could burn a piston or worse. Every one thinks they got a bunch of sensors to prevent a major melt down but those don't even come close to being 100% protection. Also I have seen people have problems trying to get warranty as the first thing they do is pull all the sensor data and try to find a reason to blame it on the user.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:59 PM

Went from a 150 merc Promax on dads boat to a 175 etec. Beautiful in comparison , quiet , clean , quick until injectors start to go. First was under warranty next 2 weren't. All 3 had to be ordered so boat sat. Engine charging system is built into the computer , heavy dollars and again special order from the USA , no one stocks in canada. Other than that , it's been a great motor.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:29 AM

Ive had the 60hp and i love it. The size and weight are awesome. I did a lot of research because i was nervous about a 2 stroke but they seem to have worked out all the kinks and ive been super happy. Ive only gone through about a big bottle of oil in about 2 years - but at the most you may need 1 per year... grand scheme of things its easy and pretty inexpensive overall. Gets on plane quick even when my boat is loaded to max weight.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:55 AM

I run a 135HO 2016. Been great so far, have over 40 hours on the motor and zero issues. Winterization is super simple and takes under 2 minutes either at the dock or in the garage.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:53 PM

I have a 2016 90 HP HO and it pulls my 17.5 ft Crestliner around no problem. It was flawless the first year i had it but have been battling sensor issues (or so I am told) since the first time I pulled it out this year. It flashed a "no oil" light on the dash and de-rates me to 1000 rpm it is getting oil for sure... pulled plugs and it excessively smokes after starting it again. My guess is that it is over oiling when it senses no oil. Have had it in 2 times already and was assured that it was fixed this time... sensor changed, oil system primed. Said they ran it on the dyno for 20 min with no codes or issues.... took it out this weekend after u got it back.... didn't even make it.out of the marina before it acted up again.... my like for this motor is quickly fading.....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2017, 07:08 PM

Have twin 175's on my ocean boat. Approx 500 hrs. Few warranty issues but always looked after. So far so good.
In my experience all outboards have their issues at some point or another.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlounderPounder View Post
I have a 2016 90 HP HO and it pulls my 17.5 ft Crestliner around no problem. It was flawless the first year i had it but have been battling sensor issues (or so I am told) since the first time I pulled it out this year. It flashed a "no oil" light on the dash and de-rates me to 1000 rpm it is getting oil for sure... pulled plugs and it excessively smokes after starting it again. My guess is that it is over oiling when it senses no oil. Have had it in 2 times already and was assured that it was fixed this time... sensor changed, oil system primed. Said they ran it on the dyno for 20 min with no codes or issues.... took it out this weekend after u got it back.... didn't even make it.out of the marina before it acted up again.... my like for this motor is quickly fading.....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
My friend had issues with sensors on his outboard. Had it at the mechanic lots and what they found was it was a ground wire had corroded. Mechanic said that's something he never has seen before. Maybe its just a ground on the instrument panel.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:55 AM

Default etec 50

just spent two grand on a shorted computer runs fine so far a little gun shy now will go back to Yamaha 4 stroke
Old 07-04-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
just spent two grand on a shorted computer runs fine so far a little gun shy now will go back to Yamaha 4 stroke
ouch!
Old 07-04-2017, 08:40 PM

Have a 2012 etec 50hp jet drive
Tiller handle.
Quiet , pretty efficient , doesn't use a ton of oil.
Have about 150 hrs on it.
Motor hasn't let me down yet. Almost.
When I got it I noticed for the first season that the water that should be coming out the back via waterpump was only marginal and kind of dribbling out around where it could down at bottom of leg above jet pump.
Factory techs didn't think there was a prob, but I did.
Since it was under warranty I took it too Alberta marine.
Upon inspection they found that the 4 motor mounts were all loose with 1 of them completely out.
This in turn blew the gasket that exhaust & water ? passes through thus the issue with my lack of water present through the pee hole at back of motor.
All fixed now, motor runs great.
For what I want it for I like the wieght, layout of tiller handle with trim being under your thumb.
I think with the jet conversion I was about 8k
Old 07-05-2017, 07:48 AM

I got a 2007 40hp E-Tec, honestly the thing is amazing. It has never failed in me in the 10 years I had it. Easiest thing to winterize and start first try every spring, they are pretty quiet for a 2-stroke though the newer models I would assume are even better. Barely uses any oil and the maintenance is a breeze.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:33 PM

Default Etec

So just came back from a week at a lake in North Dakota. We saw boats from a lot of different states, and on a normal day there were 50-60 boat trailers in our particular boat launch (I believe there are at least 10 on this lake). During the fishing tournament there were over 100. I started paying attention to what the other guys were using for motors. There were lots of Mercurys, quite a few Yamahas, some Hondas, but I saw very few Etecs. If these would have all been local boats, I would have said they have a great Mercury dealer locally. I asked the local Mercury/Yamaha dealer about the sales difference, and in his area the Mercurys were a better seller. I've been under the impression that most of the new outboards are all pretty darn good, but after not seeing a lot of Etecs this week, questions arise. I also noticed that my old BlackMax must be coming a bit of a museum piece at this point in time, but she started just as good as any of the other motors at the launch. Not quite sure how close to 150hp that old BlackMax actually puts out, but for the price of upgrading I am quite happy with the old V6. I wonder if the Etecs will still be kicking when they are 35 years old?
Old 08-08-2017, 04:17 AM
Banned

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I've never owned a 4 stroke until this year. I was wanting a 40 etec for my new boat but all the dealer carried was Merc. I was hesitant as hell as I'd only had any one issue (primer/choke switch) in the 15 years I'd had my previous motor. So now I'm running a 40 Merc with big tiller handle. I have a whole 5 hours on it since delivery but so far it seems like a nice engine. Definitely like the big tiller handle which of course is standard style tiller on an etec (but an option with Merc) and same price as the etec with the big tiller option added on. $1000 less than an etec without but I can't see why anyone wouldn't want it? In fact I don't know why Merc just doesn't make it the default system on all their tiller model outboards.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:36 AM

I have a 60 hp etec. Probably has 35 hours on it now. Flawless. The thing is super quiet at idle but obviously gets louder with more throttle. Uses hardly any oil and is amazing on gas. Also has that 2 stroke burst power to get me up on plane almost instantly.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
So just came back from a week at a lake in North Dakota. We saw boats from a lot of different states, and on a normal day there were 50-60 boat trailers in our particular boat launch (I believe there are at least 10 on this lake). During the fishing tournament there were over 100. I started paying attention to what the other guys were using for motors. There were lots of Mercurys, quite a few Yamahas, some Hondas, but I saw very few Etecs. If these would have all been local boats, I would have said they have a great Mercury dealer locally. I asked the local Mercury/Yamaha dealer about the sales difference, and in his area the Mercurys were a better seller. I've been under the impression that most of the new outboards are all pretty darn good, but after not seeing a lot of Etecs this week, questions arise. I also noticed that my old BlackMax must be coming a bit of a museum piece at this point in time, but she started just as good as any of the other motors at the launch. Not quite sure how close to 150hp that old BlackMax actually puts out, but for the price of upgrading I am quite happy with the old V6. I wonder if the Etecs will still be kicking when they are 35 years old?

You need to remember that 90% of the boats out there come spec'd with a merc with no option for any other motor brand at purchase.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
You need to remember that 90% of the boats out there come spec'd with a merc with no option for any other motor brand at purchase.
True but that's only because Brunswick Marine owns >75% of the boat market in North America. 15/20 of the best selling brands are owned by Brunswick.

Despite the fact Brunswick owns Lund, and Mercury, I ordered my Lund with no motor and had the Honda dealer put on a Honda. Same dealer can do a Yamaha or Evinrude. Just have to find what you want and with a little effort you can get exactly what you want.

Riverside Honda is where I got mine.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
Thanks for that information, something I did not know. I did see quite a range of different names on boats also, I would say it was close between Lund and Crestliner, and then a whole pile of other names, some I had never heard of. Here in Manitoba I do not see a lot of Crestliners, but they were probably neck and neck with Lund in North Dakota and Minnesota. It was just surprising that I saw hardly any Etecs, there were way more Yamahas and Hondas then Etecs also.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:41 PM

I know two people that have them. One is a 175 hp that just had the 300 hr check up, the other I think is a 150. Both no issues. The one thing I keep hearing about them is easy on fuel.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:48 PM

I think it's a regional thing. Lake of the Woods area you see a ton of Yamahas, upper Midwest in the States there's a ton of 'Rudes. Saskatchewan and Alberta you see a ton of Mercs. A lot of the tournament trails down in the States are sponsored by different manufacturers. These trails have contingency programs where if you have a good placing in a tournament, these manufacturers will kick in bonus $$$ to you for your placement. That's why when you watch say Cabela's National Walleye Tour on tv 60-70% of the field is running Ranger/Evinrude combos being pulled by Ram trucks.