Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-30-2017, 07:37 PM

Default Canoer takes up the whole boat launch at Upper K

So awesome waiting 30 min for 2 clowns who backed up their truck to load up their canoe on the public launch.

Luckily I'd had a good day so I just put the troller on virtual anchor and cleaned up my boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2017, 07:44 PM

It blows my mind how common this is! I was out fishing a little mountain lake here in.bc and this guy hogging the little car top launch finally notices me after 15 mins of him setting up his gear, appologises said oh sorry never saw you there then goes back to it. I was like holy fack this guy is retarded, so I just started unloading and he finally got the hint and moved over.....un friggin real
Old 07-30-2017, 07:48 PM

I'd say it is a case of "people unclear on the concept". I'd bet if you had gone over and explained how a double boat launch worked they would have move their stuff to one side and said I'm sorry I didn't know.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-30-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDude View Post

So awesome waiting 30 min for 2 clowns who backed up their truck to load up their canoe on the public launch.

Luckily I'd had a good day so I just put the troller on virtual anchor and cleaned up my boat.

Thats why it is called a PUBLIC launch.

Mack
Old 07-31-2017, 07:32 AM

Go hit up Devon nsr boat launch. It's so bad for idiots.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'd say it is a case of "people unclear on the concept". I'd bet if you had gone over and explained how a double boat launch worked they would have move their stuff to one side and said I'm sorry I didn't know.
X2. They don't know. Pull your boat up. Get out. Canoe easy to move.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:13 AM

She had to have seen you, like at least caught a glimpse. And even though it's "public" they could still have a little courtesy and pickup up that canoe and moved it 5 feet one way so you could have at least tried to load your boat

Old 07-31-2017, 08:16 AM

If someones in my way, I just ask them to move. You'd be amazed how well that works.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Thats why it is called a PUBLIC launch.

Mack
Yup which includes the odd nope wait more than too often meatheads to do this type of thing.......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-31-2017, 08:21 AM

You should give Maligne lake a go during a weekend. Had a guy spend an hour offloading and setting up his gear right at the waters edge once.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
You should give Maligne lake a go during a weekend. Had a guy spend an hour offloading and setting up his gear right at the waters edge once.
This x100
I've given some idiots a very hard time. In one example I'm next in line for 20-30 minutes already and then someone pulls up and just goes in front me... we had an abrupt talking. I started off nice until he said I'll just be a few minutes. He left before launching...after I gave him a choice.

That said, it sounded like the Op got a chance to clean the boat but the best thing might be to park, get out, and help them unload / load. This is good if there no line up...but if there is. Agree with others just to point out the obivous. Unfortunately it is not the obvious to those that do not do it often so a little communication is needed.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvdout View Post
If someones in my way, I just ask them to move. You'd be amazed how well that works.

Yes, talking to people instead of fuming works wonders.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvdout View Post
Pretty much every time.

These threads make me wonder why people won't communicate directly with others anymore,
why they are willing to be frustrated over a social etiquette faux pas yet won't speak up to correct the situation.

Do they not realize that they are now as much to blame for this social action as the other party?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-31-2017, 09:45 AM

I see no line waiting. If you are SO upset just come and politely ask them to move their canoe. Even if you have 30-foot boat you have the same privileges to use public boat launch as them.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:05 AM

Why wouldn't you just move there stuff to one side I wouldn't wait that's just me .
Old 07-31-2017, 10:33 AM

I would have just pulled the boat up, went and got the truck and backed down. They would have likely moved.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-31-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vook View Post
I see no line waiting. If you are SO upset just come and politely ask them to move their canoe. Even if you have 30-foot boat you have the same privileges to use public boat launch as them.
You're absolutely right!
Old 07-31-2017, 10:46 AM
Gone Hunting

Sure sounds like you guys are wound up tight. Should really try to get out on the water and unwind.

Why not just get their phone number and send them a nasty text.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-31-2017, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I would have just pulled the boat up, went and got the truck and backed down. They would have likely moved.
Works every time!
Old 07-31-2017, 10:58 AM

People need to learn to take a breath and relax. This weekend we were out with our boat. Since I'm the one with the license I had to drive the boat. My wife went to back the trailer up, she's backed up trailers before, just not an empty boat trailer. It was getting away from her a bit. Well, of course, people waiting have to start being d!cks about it, swearing and getting impatient. So this rattles my wife and of course, now she's making mistakes. A guy comes up and asks if she needs a hand, she's flustered and let him back it up. Her total time in the truck was about 5 min. The gentleman that helped was very polite and even apologized, he said he only offered to help because people were getting mad. I get that we all want to load/unload quickly, but being jerks because someone is have a bit of an issue doesn't help the matter. Take a breath, maybe be a decent human and ask if they need help. Most people didn't back up a trailer perfect their first time out, so maybe remember that and try and help the situation.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:14 PM

I should clarify that at the Devon launch usually the boaters are pretty good. It's the people that just come to hang out. I was next inline to launch the guy that was launching pulled out, before I could get my truck started. A mini van wheels up parks on the launch and the woman and kids jump out with dogs and start taking selfies and pictures lol.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:02 PM

Lol yeah if people are using the launch for the purposes of launching a watercraft I don't mind. It's when people use the launch as a party pad or a place to picnic with their kids that upsets me. The other day I was launching on a double launch and a large family was just sitting around talking all over the launch. Told them I'm coming down and they refused to move until my trailer nearly reached them and even then one of them yelled something about my time being more important than theirs. I said "this boat launch is intended for launching boats folks". It was like I was trying to explain string theory from the looks I received.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:18 PM

Default boat launch

What in tarnation would make you guys think that people care about you or any one else except for themselve . Common courtesy and respect are as dead as common sense .
Old 07-31-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomstick View Post
What in tarnation would make you guys think that people care about you or any one else except for themselve . Common courtesy and respect are as dead as common sense .
I totally agree. It's almost like people are afraid to speak to each other like humans. I can see getting a bit frustrated if someone is having a picnic on a launch. Or if someone is taking 30 min to back up their trailer. Rather than get all p!ssy, take a breath. see if they need help, or just calmly mention they are blocking the launch with their picnic and people would like to launch their boats. No reason to be rude or ignorant.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:09 PM

Yeah some people just don't have a clue. They should have had the kayak along the edge of ramp or even over on the rock/gravel beside it(former if they have their system down and only took up ramp for a few minutes, latter if they don't have a clue and took 30 mins like you say).

You should have politely given them a lesson on boat ramp etiquette by pulling up and asking them to make room for you to use the other half of ramp. These yahoos never learn when they get away with it.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:05 PM

It's always the same issue at most Alberta lakes that I've been to. Sunday afternoons on Pigeon lake at the Mulhurst launch is quite a spectacular place to people watch. Me and some friends waited for a good hour to take the boat outa d we ended up right behind a really nice lady doing her best to back the trailer down the ramp. She was visibly upset, so my good friend gets out and offers to help her. She takes him up on his offer and proceeds to get out of her vehicle when he stops her and says I offered to help, not do it for you. He helps her correct the oversteering after telling her not to worry about the people waiting.

Some people need to relax a little and try communicating.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:30 PM

In BC it seems this is the norm with their car toppers. They unload the whole boat, then they put the boat on, tie it all down, then load up everything slow as they can into the truck. Meanwhile you're waiting the whole time to launch or load. Takes me less than 5 minutes most times, sometimes less than 2. Not sure why they don't move over to the side to do this kind of stuff... right in the middle of a double ramp. Some people are a little uneducated I guess.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 08-01-2017, 12:35 AM

I enjoy my time on my boat if i have to wait a little longer it is no big deal.Why get upset.

Mack
Old 08-01-2017, 02:20 AM

I have a slightly different take on it. I don't have a boat. I have a kayak similar in size to that canoe. Why would I unload all my stuff on the ramp then pick it back up to go in the truck? I have a cart that would easily roll down that path on the right of the picture. I just leave everything in the kayak, put the kayak on the cart and go straight to my truck. Only unload everything once and best of all no waiting for others.

In BC many of the lakes I go to don't even like it when canoes and Kayaks use the boat ramp. Do they have to in Alberta?
Old 08-01-2017, 07:37 AM

The OP is right to be annoyed by the situation as described IMO. Try sitting at a green light for more than 2 seconds and see how long it takes for the person behind you to start beeping...on a public road. How many of us would accept a 15 min delay at a light because the person in front of us didn't know that green meant go?

Sure, pull up, politely ask them to move over and occupy only a single side of the double ramp, easy enough. It's what I would do too. I believe that it was 100% an honest mistake, not malicious. Just not sure why these concepts really need to be explained?

That plastic canoe could have been beached anywhere else while someone goes and gets their vehicle, at which point I would say it would then be appropriate to take up a single side of the ramp while the canoe and gear were loaded quickly.

I think that if you can't get the job done in less than 10 mins when there is a lineup, you need to consider letting other people go ahead of you until the backlog of boats clears, and maybe practice backing up in a parking lot.