Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2017, 09:13 AM

Default why so many dead whitefish on buck lake

spent a few days fishing and camping on
buck lake by alder flats and we seen a lot of nice size
whitefish floating in the weeds and all across the lake i was surprised at how many dead ones we seen all over the lake
yesterday we noticed blue green algae appearing on the north west
side from the (alder flats fish and game camping area pretty sure that's what it's called)
to the provincial camping area from about 15 feet of water to the shore line and some mats of it in the bait launch canal we packed up and went home
was wondering if the dead fish are related to the hot temps
and the algae bloom or what would cause them to die we didn't notice the bloom till yesterday and fish were floating for a few days before we got there according to other people there camping
Old 07-31-2017, 09:27 AM

happens every year <definitely the bloom and the warm water which decreases the oxygen levels in the lake <the amount of recreational use has some impact as well as the lake has very few deep areas for all of the fish to hold up.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:43 AM

Lake whites are a cold water species and need lots of oxygen. As our lakes warm up the water has less of an ability to hold oxygen and the lack of wind also plays a role in reduced aeration. I expect large summer kills in the irrigation res. this summer, it has been hot with little wind. Water stain from Bluegreen Algae also is a factor in water temp, the stained water absorbs more sun light which warms the water as well. Going to be a rough summer for the whites.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-31-2017, 09:52 AM

ok for some reason i thought the whites were able to handle
poorer quality then walleye and pike wasn't aware they would
be affected before other fish types i figured the temps had a lot
to do with it as they were dying before the algae appeared so it
sounds like it will get worse then with the weather like it is
Old 07-31-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck View Post
ok for some reason i thought the whites were able to handle
poorer quality then walleye and pike wasn't aware they would
be affected before other fish types i figured the temps had a lot
to do with it as they were dying before the algae appeared so it
sounds like it will get worse then with the weather like it is
The whitefish are the first to go.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Right on the nose - they call them an "indicator" fish, as they are the first sign that theres an issue
Old 07-31-2017, 03:01 PM

There are several floating in Crawling Valley as well, usually guarded by seagulls.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:29 PM

So if you came across one with the gills still pumpin or a little kick left in him would you guys eat it? ? Just wondering, I love to eat fish and hate to see a nice greasy white go to waste. I been out west and the salmon in the can you eat been dead for 4 days and half rotten. Just throwing it out there. I'm not talking dead and bloated. I've seen them in their final moments and always wanted to throw them on ice, then in the smoker.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
So if you came across one with the gills still pumpin or a little kick left in him would you guys eat it? ? Just wondering, I love to eat fish and hate to see a nice greasy white go to waste. I been out west and the salmon in the can you eat been dead for 4 days and half rotten. Just throwing it out there. I'm not talking dead and bloated. I've seen them in their final moments and always wanted to throw them on ice, then in the smoker.
Wouldn't that be illegal because it wasn't angled in?
Old 07-31-2017, 07:36 PM

I might be inclined to keep it.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:06 PM

I would too. I'm a whitefish fanatic and have way too much respect for them to let the maggots eat them. Not like it's a size restricted fish. I spose I could snag them in the mouth while they on their last legs...but come on now.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:00 PM

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/news/Page13981.aspx
Says here that you should not consume fish...
Old 07-31-2017, 10:17 PM

Just says trimmings and whole fish. Can safely eat fillets . Like a surgeon with my fish and game so maybe if I find a nice white still alive I do him up proper and smoke the daylights out of him and see if I rise to face another day. I'm thinking I might survive, if you don't hear back from me then dont try eating them. Just like the mercury in moose lake...many generations of hard working, good living people lived on those fish. Many lived past a hundred years...
Old 08-01-2017, 08:22 AM

Personally I find that a little bit creepy to eat a dying fish. It died for a reason...as in no longer healthy. Might be groundless in fact but hey, I prefer to angle and keep. Not dredge out and keep.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:45 PM

Bahaha I figured you would chime in snap. They are just choking to death. The guys that I work with net lake winnepeg and check their nets every 5 to 7 days in the winter and they still "table ready" fish. At least those dying whites are still alive. Ever hang out on the docks out west and see what the catch looks like off those commercial boats? Obviously not. I won't even go there because it makes people sick. I just hate to see a fish go to waste. They dying just like if you tossed them up on the grass. It's not the algae bud.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I think it would be more accurate to say Old white fish are the first to go. You don't (at least I don't) often see smaller white fish in these die-off's. I believe it's allot like humans the elderly have a very hard time handling that kind of physical stress.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:24 AM

Collecting game fish not attained by legal means (angling) is illegal. That, in it of itself, is an "all stop" for me - so it doesn't really matter if the fish is spoiled or fresh - it's irrelevant.

Nevertheless - for the sake of the discussion ....

The meat (from the still alive floater) would not necessarily be "bad" ,although, the lake is full of toxic blue green algae right? And it serves to reason that the outside of that fish would be covered in the cyanobacteria (blue/green algae) - so they should definitely be thoroughly washed or treated before putting a fillet knife to those morsels.

Alberta Health covers the safety of eating these fish quite well.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:21 PM

The way I approach it... if in an somewhat desperate situation would I drink a glass of said water body? If yes, I eat the fish. If no, let it go.

Southbuck is a let it go for me.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
The way I approach it... if in an somewhat desperate situation would I drink a glass of said water body? If yes, I eat the fish. If no, let it go.

Southbuck is a let it go for me.
Lets not forget the grandfathered ability to allow raw sewage from lakeside cabins to be piped into the lake , I have a hard time eating the fish I catch ,cant see me eating a floater ?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:53 AM

Could be summerkill from low oxygen due to algae bloom. Could be die off from Cyanobacteria bloom. Whitefish also travel in year class schools so if they are all old fish of the same size could simply be old age killing them. Only water sampling, O2 measurements and autopsy can confirm.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-04-2017, 02:18 PM

Thanks for all the concern gentlemen.! So much sage advice on here as always. Just got back from the old buck slough. Didn't see any floaters where I was but found a few alive at about 25 to 30 feet mid day and brought home 8 on bottom bouncers with a little something that the buck lake whites like and the locals use. Yes lots of algae as always. this time of year is bad. Biggest was only 4 lbs so I'm happy to see smaller fish they taste better. Got rained out this morn but be back after the long weekend. Need a good sonar or two out there to stay on them and figure which way they are headed. She was flat calm and hot so the electric probably helped.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Could be summerkill from low oxygen due to algae bloom. Could be die off from Cyanobacteria bloom. Whitefish also travel in year class schools so if they are all old fish of the same size could simply be old age killing them. Only water sampling, O2 measurements and autopsy can confirm.
Yes to evything but the old age theory. When they die off in a one week time span it can be ruled out. Other lakes that are big and deep don't have big whitefish die offs like the shallow lakes susceptible to winter/summer kills.