Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-21-2022, 02:03 PM

Default Knife

Awesome looking knife.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:55 AM

Default Knife

Just listed this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD075802-3975-44BB-9EFC-D1A6358454E4.jpg (27.7 KB, 119 views)
Old 04-29-2022, 09:07 AM

I’m curious to hear what you think about semi skinner design, I’ve never used a knife shaped quite like that. Clean skinning a couple bears would be a good test.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
I’m curious to hear what you think about semi skinner design, I’ve never used a knife shaped quite like that. Clean skinning a couple bears would be a good test.
Cody, Coiloil37 has talked about that in this thread. Check his posts.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:39 AM

Yeah, I remember him saying good things about the design, was curious if some of the people who recently purchased like it as much as he does
Old 05-01-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I remember him saying good things about the design, was curious if some of the people who recently purchased like it as much as he does
Here are my brief thoughts on the matter. A traditional skinner has belly and depth. It is great for skinning but is not particularly suited to gutting or taking an animal apart. Often I carry two knives. The semi skinner has a belly that compliments the spine creating less depth and less abrupt transition to the point. This makes it a good skinner, good gutter and good for taking animals apart.

Here is a strange photo, but it gives pretty good dimensional context. It is not like a traditional 3.75-4” skinner. This is a Dozier, but the blade shape on the Crotts is the same.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-01-2022, 05:33 PM

I just wish they’d hurry up and get mine and Dean’s made!
Old 05-01-2022, 06:17 PM

I was told 8 months. I haven’t got mine yet. But the tracking number says Tuesday. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 05-01-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Here are my brief thoughts on the matter. A traditional skinner has belly and depth. It is great for skinning but is not particularly suited to gutting or taking an animal apart. Often I carry two knives. The semi skinner has a belly that compliments the spine creating less depth and less abrupt transition to the point. This makes it a good skinner, good gutter and good for taking animals apart.

Here is a strange photo, but it gives pretty good dimensional context. It is not like a traditional 3.75-4” skinner. This is a Dozier, but the blade shape on the Crotts is the same.

I think I need to add one of those to the wish list.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I think I need to add one of those to the wish list.
Get on the list quick. I think these are a 5-10 year wait.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-01-2022, 06:34 PM

5-10 years? That’s a long time to wait
Old 05-01-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I was told 8 months. I haven’t got mine yet. But the tracking number says Tuesday. :-)
When did you order?
Old 05-01-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
5-10 years? That’s a long time to wait
Sorry, but I don't think any knife is worthy of a 5-10 year wait but that's just me. Especially when you have a local knife maker that could make you one within weeks.

Nothing against those that like the wait, that's just me.......
Old 05-01-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
When did you order?
Mid January.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-01-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Sorry, but I don't think any knife is worthy of a 5-10 year wait but that's just me. Especially when you have a local knife maker that could make you one within weeks.

Nothing against those that like the wait, that's just me.......
Bud, the guy who makes that particular knife is 80 years old, and is arguably at the very top of the list as a custom hunting knife maker. Like all collectables, when a guy dies you can no longer get his product, thus the price goes up. So, I would say that there is a spate of orders from people who simply want to have a knife made by Bob Dozier before he quits or dies, and also from collectors.

Many of those knives you see on this thread are made by his stepson, Dan Crotts. He has worked with his stepfather for a long time, and currently runs his stepfather’s shop, as well as his own knife making business, Crotts Knives. The wait for his knives were 3-6 months from the time the order was placed. Many in the knife world think the stepson makes an even better knife, though the designs and processes are exactly the same.

This is a link to Bob Dozier giving a tour of his shop. There are a number of parts to this video. If you are at all interested in knives, this is super cool, and more enjoyable than anything on the boob tube right now. The mechanical aptitude, ingenuity, and skill is amazing. Right after watching these, I ordered one of their knives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70UsqZnmqMs
Old 05-01-2022, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Mid January.
Should be anytime now for us then.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Bud, the guy who makes that particular knife is 80 years old, and is arguably at the very top of the list as a custom hunting knife maker. Like all collectables, when a guy dies you can no longer get his product, thus the price goes up. So, I would say that there is a spate of orders from people who simply want to have a knife made by Bob Dozier before he quits or dies, and also from collectors.

Many of those knives you see on this thread are made by his stepson, Dan Crotts. He has worked with his stepfather for a long time, and currently runs his stepfather’s shop, as well as his own knife making business, Crotts Knives. The wait for his knives were 3-6 months from the time the order was placed. Many in the knife world think the stepson makes an even better knife, though the designs and processes are exactly the same.

This is a link to Bob Dozier giving a tour of his shop. There are a number of parts to this video. If you are at all interested in knives, this is super cool, and more enjoyable than anything on the boob tube right now. The mechanical aptitude, ingenuity, and skill is amazing. Right after watching these, I ordered one of their knives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70UsqZnmqMs
I understand all that, but I'm not waiting 5-10 years for anything other then a death certificate and by then I won't care. I just care if what I have in the pack after I down an animal that my steel(s) will do the job. I will say though, this thread has me looking at knives here and elsewhere and am must say I was not aware of the collection aspect of knives. Very interesting......
Old 05-01-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I understand all that, but I'm not waiting 5-10 years for anything other then a death certificate and by then I won't care. I just care if what I have in the pack after I down an animal that my steel(s) will do the job. I will say though, this thread has me looking at knives here and elsewhere and am must say I was not aware of the collection aspect of knives. Very interesting......
It is very interesting. I’ve fallen down this rabbit hole.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:
As you know, a $25 Mora can do a helluva job, so that’s not really about what any of this is about. For me, it is having something that is handcrafted by someone at the top of their field, made to my specs, and that will be passed down to my son.

Shoot, a Lazyboy chair runs a couple grand. And, I can’t foresee the day where I will be able to afford the type of custom rifle I would like.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:18 PM

Quote:
It is very interesting. I’ve fallen down this rabbit hole.
Yes I know and I was following you or I should I say I followed but managed to satisfy myself with a couple knives from Clint C. LOL
Old 05-01-2022, 09:25 PM

Lots of great suggestions and some really pretty knives on this thread. My favourite skinning/ hunting knife (besides a victorinox paring knife) is this Becker BK14. It’s very comfortable to use with a pinch grip while skinning, and the 1095 can get scary sharp with a couple strokes on a stone. Comes with a kydex sheath and can be had for $70.

Having processed several elk, deer, bear and a mt goat it has never found me wanting for bigger. This particular one has had the finish stripped and patina, elk antler handles added, to fancy it up.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:11 AM

I really like it.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
Lots of great suggestions and some really pretty knives on this thread. My favourite skinning/ hunting knife (besides a victorinox paring knife) is this Becker BK14. It’s very comfortable to use with a pinch grip while skinning, and the 1095 can get scary sharp with a couple strokes on a stone. Comes with a kydex sheath and can be had for $70.

Having processed several elk, deer, bear and a mt goat it has never found me wanting for bigger. This particular one has had the finish stripped and patina, elk antler handles added, to fancy it up.

That knife looks like it has character.........
Old 05-03-2022, 02:42 PM

The Crotts vs Dozier semi skinner comparison. More different than I thought.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-03-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
The Crotts vs Dozier semi skinner comparison. More different than I thought.

Pointless for me to say it now but I could tell when you posted the photo of the semi skinner next to your finger that it wasn’t the same as the Crotts. I had every intention of mentioning it but I’ve been busy at work.
Better go kill a couple bears so you can try them out, my money is on the Crotts outperforming the dozier but I’m fairly biased. Truth is, your fortunate enough to be able to compare both and give a relevant report. I’m interested to see the results.
How do you like the grip of the G10 compared to the micarta? I’ve got several pocketknives with G10 but never had it on a hunting knife.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 05-03-2022 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:56 PM

I like the micarta. All of the above are. But I have used a lot of G10 and I’m not sure there is any practical difference. Blasted micarta might be grippier maybe. But I prefer it polished. For ease of cleaning. But that may be in my head as well.

On a side note. Those pocket sheaths are awesome!

-Billy Molls
Old 05-03-2022, 04:24 PM

Seriously nice knives, Pathfinder. I really like both the brown and green micarta handles. You almost had me ready to change my order. I am guessing you and your hunting partner got different pins to differentiate each other’s knives

I am anxiously awaiting mine being done.

Looking at those knives, I have an opinion which will be better, but will wait for your subjective review.

Now hustle your arses out there and let your boy shoot some some bears so we can get a report!
Old 05-03-2022, 05:03 PM

Is there another dozier model more similar to the crotts knife just posted. If so I may order another
Old 05-03-2022, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senderomag View Post
Is there another dozier model more similar to the crotts knife just posted. If so I may order another
Do you prefer the one in the middle or the two on the outside?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-03-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Do you prefer the one in the middle or the two on the outside?
Hi pathfinder. The top knife.