Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2014, 09:20 PM

Default Waders or bibs

So going in a few fishing trios again this year, last year went on 2 to northern alberta both were cold and miserable and rained the whole time. Have a good goretex jacket but was wearing a set of like 70 dollar on sale canadian tire waders. They kept me dry but didn't last too long before coming apart. I was kinda sold on going with a set of sims waders on the aspect of if I bail in to push the boat in or load on trailer it's a little easier. I was at cabelas last night and saw there guidewear bibs and it got me thinking. I have tried both on and there exact same price I can sit comfortably in both altho the bibs seem to fit nicer.

Anyways I am not set in either and was going to get peoples opinions on comfortable fishing gear.

Thanks again
Old 04-09-2014, 09:46 PM

I would look online and try to get the guidewear on a sale. Both cabelas.ca and .com have sales quite often on them and you could get them for half price. If you saved that kind of money you could pick up some waders to and have the best of both worlds.

I use both my waders and my guidewear quite often and wouldn't want to give up either one depending on the fishing and weather situation.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Banned

I am buying a pair of waders tomorrow and was researching when I noticed this thread. I need my waders right away for trapping so I'm thinking about going with the Cabelas Gold Medal. Maybe this will help you out.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ind...elas-bootfoots
Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 PM

I would not wear waiters or bibs on a boat, if you ever went into the drink you are going to drown..

Have a look at the new Rapala rain wear, about half the price of the guidewear and will keep you just as dry..
Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I would look online and try to get the guidewear on a sale. Both cabelas.ca and .com have sales quite often on them and you could get them for half price. If you saved that kind of money you could pick up some waders to and have the best of both worlds.

I use both my waders and my guidewear quite often and wouldn't want to give up either one depending on the fishing and weather situation.
X2 buy mine in the bargain bin all the time
Old 04-10-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post

Only problem I have there is I am 6'4-5" and 175 lbs so I need the large tall to not be lost in them I looked online but all massive sizes right now. Ill have to keep my eye open
Old 04-10-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
I would not wear waiters or bibs on a boat, if you ever went into the drink you are going to drown..

Have a look at the new Rapala rain wear, about half the price of the guidewear and will keep you just as dry..
Never actually considered the danger of the waders, person didn't expect to fall out but good point. Ill probably stay away from waders in the boat.

Ill have to look at the rapala, I had wet skins from Costco before and they were ok in light rain but would eventually get saturated.

Thanks again
Old 04-10-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I would not wear waiters or bibs on a boat, if you ever went into the drink you are going to drown.
http://youtu.be/2m0_naq0-qc

If you are wearing a life jacket, you should be fine.

How will bibs cause you to drown? Will my jeans cause me to drown too? Bibs have no feet.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Water in your waders isn't heavier than water outside you waders.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:55 AM

I have a set of waders. The only time I use them boating is to launch or load the boat when the water or air temp is cold.

I do have a couple sets of decent rain gear stored on the boat though if the weather takes a turn.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 04-10-2014, 11:32 AM

if you are worried about water getting into your waders it's simple, you put a belt on.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboo74 View Post
Water in your waders isn't heavier than water outside you waders.
Waders in a boat is a bad idea. They cause you to lose your buoyancy and will quickly pull you much deeper into the water. Even if you're wearing a lifejacket, they'll cause you to float much lower in the water and you'll regularly submerge if there's waves, they act like a drift sock.

On top of that, it's extremely difficult to swim/move or get yourself out of the water, or to have someone lift you out of the water, unless you can somehow get them off quickly and easily, which is unlikely. There's no way you can cinch up a belt tight enough to keep the water out, and it makes the waders much more difficult to get off if you ever need to.

Get a good quality set of goretex bibs and don't look back.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Waders in a boat is a bad idea. They cause you to lose your buoyancy and will quickly pull you much deeper into the water.
I never knew water weighed more than water. [/sarcasm]

Filled waders do not drag people down in lakes. It can be more difficult to swim, but not impossible.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP2 View Post
I never knew water weighed more than water. [/sarcasm]

Filled waders do not drag people down in lakes. It can be more difficult to swim, but not impossible.
I hope for your sake you never have to test that theory and find out first hand.

The fact that water doesn't weigh more than water is exactly the problem - water doesn't float on water...
Old 04-10-2014, 06:32 PM

Took a fall in the Bow with waders, submerged log swept me off my feet. I floated for almost a quarter mile before I found my footing on bottom. They filled up but I had no problems floating.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-10-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Took a fall in the Bow with waders, submerged log swept me off my feet. I floated for almost a quarter mile before I found my footing on bottom. They filled up but I had no problems floating.
I would count your lucky stars because not many people can say they have walked away from something like that...
Old 04-10-2014, 08:37 PM

I have been dunked wearing wadders and found zero issues staying afloat ...... or swimming and certainly was is no danger of having the "heavier" water in my waders drag me down and drown me through the "lighter" water outside my waders ..... lol

But .....

Climbing the swim ladder back into the boat was tough ...... but not impossible.

Might be real tough if you don't have a ladder and need to pull yourself up and over.

wear a life-jacket .....