Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2019, 03:32 PM

Default Camping/Bass Fishing Windermere

hey gang -- done a bunch of searching on the board and found most of the info I need, but a couple things I wanted to check on:

-I've got a 14' Lund Rebel (fairly heavy for a 14').....will it be okay on Windermere, or is it too big/wavy of a lake for a 14' boat?

-If we wanted to camp (my cousin and I generally love back-country camping) either in a campsite or back-country style on an island, is that an option on Windermere?

We're looking to do some topwater bass fishing next May, and Windermere looks like the best bet, at only 3.5 hours from Calgary...

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Old 09-27-2019, 08:00 PM

I have spent a lot of time fishing in the area but must admit Lake Windermere is my least favorite fishing lake, it is fairly shallow throughout but great for grandkids and swimming, you won't have a problem with 14 foot lund my lund is 12 feet and I fish all the lakes in the area. if you want back country and camping get a forestry map and head on west road past the little village of Wilmer and there are lots of lakes small and larger that are great to fish, Lake Enid, Twin Lakes, Cartwright and Steamboat are just a few that we enjoy fishing (trout) but definitely a "back country" experience
Old 09-27-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Valleys View Post
I have spent a lot of time fishing in the area but must admit Lake Windermere is my least favorite fishing lake, it is fairly shallow throughout but great for grandkids and swimming, you won't have a problem with 14 foot lund my lund is 12 feet and I fish all the lakes in the area. if you want back country and camping get a forestry map and head on west road past the little village of Wilmer and there are lots of lakes small and larger that are great to fish, Lake Enid, Twin Lakes, Cartwright and Steamboat are just a few that we enjoy fishing (trout) but definitely a "back country" experience
nah I have no interest in trout. Top water bass or nothing... Have heard that Windermere has some huge buckets in there!!
Old 09-29-2019, 01:10 AM

The south end of Windermere is more productive for bass. Where the bass are is the willow choked braided channels opening up in little areas.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-30-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The south end of Windermere is more productive for bass. Where the bass are is the willow choked braided channels opening up in little areas.
Awesome...thinking of staying at Lakeshore Campground and then go find some lilypads etc....probably mid-May sometime. Gonna be a time...and beats hauling the boat 13 hours back home to Manitoba/NW Ont to find 'em...