Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
Funny, that is the location I went to lol.

In Edmonton when it comes to tires I only deal with Best Way Tires for the best prices and service!
I am not sure what they are like now, but my go to shop in edm 20yrs ago was 'Tirecraft' on 118Ave 125 St,
they were consistently efficient with low wait times & decently priced tires 'at the time'.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:

In Edmonton when it comes to tires I only deal with Best Way Tires for the best prices and service!

Best Way is awesome in Edmonton and I've spoken to Bob's staff over the phone and they were excellent. Couldn't get in to Bob's location as I had limited time in Cow City but I've got zero doubts the service would have been A+ based on their knowledge.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:29 AM

Since I run Duratrac Tires I have usually bought them at the local CT in St Albert. They have been very good to deal with and when they put them on sale with the 10X CT money deal, no one can beat their price, but it is only for tires. Anything else I have done elsewhere. The Nokian tires on the other vehicles have always come from Kal Tire as they are the only dealer in Alberta. The Kal tire in St Albert has been good to deal with since I moved here 9 years ago, but only for tires. They have twice lied to me about very expensive work being needed on two different cars. They do a "free" inspection when they rotate or install tires. It was a complete scam and they aren't even embarrassed when you call them out on it.

This time, I ended up getting the Duratracs at Fountain Tire just because of where I was. The Fountain Tire was about 20 bucks a tire more than the CT sale price but it was 200 klms return to get to CT and after the excellent service and install job at the Fountain Tire, I think I am going to switch to buying Duratracs from them. Will have to checkout the St Albert Fountain Tire. Anyone have a read on a good Fountain Tire in North Edmonton or St Albert.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-04-2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:16 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

I know Bob at Best Way actually, and he is a solid guy for sure! If I ever have a client who is in Edmonton and needs something sorted up there, that is where I send them...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-04-2021, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I know Bob at Best Way actually, and he is a solid guy for sure! If I ever have a client who is in Edmonton and needs something sorted up there, that is where I send them...
So know you know that I have excellent taste in who I call EXPERTS

Cheers N40
Old 12-04-2021, 03:32 PM

Since this is an excellent pro Bob thread, might as well ask what you think the new Firestone Winterforce 2 is like? Seems fairly cheap for a popular name brand tire. Bob you like/dislike? Anyone used these?
Old 12-05-2021, 11:14 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
Since this is an excellent pro Bob thread, might as well ask what you think the new Firestone Winterforce 2 is like? Seems fairly cheap for a popular name brand tire. Bob you like/dislike? Anyone used these?
We run those on our beater shop truck actually. Honestly, not such a great ice tire unless you stud them but snow traction is not so bad at all. It is a decent wearing tire for a dedicated winter, which is why we use is mainly, and we do stud out for the extra ice traction so they work well enough. Good bang for buck if you are shooting for a decent quality mi-level tire that is quite well priced and are not looking for the maximum levels of traction compared to a step up.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-05-2021, 11:18 AM
Banned

Hi Bob,

My Test Drive results:

Driving perfectly now, definitely needed an alignment! The guys at Midas said the tires are good for another 2 years.

Canadian Tire should be ashamed of themselves, I will be having a talk with their store Manager tomorrow, that's for sure!

Cheers N40
Old 12-05-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
We run those on our beater shop truck actually. Honestly, not such a great ice tire unless you stud them but snow traction is not so bad at all. It is a decent wearing tire for a dedicated winter, which is why we use is mainly, and we do stud out for the extra ice traction so they work well enough. Good bang for buck if you are shooting for a decent quality mi-level tire that is quite well priced and are not looking for the maximum levels of traction compared to a step up.
I bought the Winterforce LT used on rims, and although there is very little tread wear, the studs seem to be worn to where they don't do much on ice. But the tires do seem decent in snow, whether loose or packed. I wouldn't buy them again, but the price was so good, I was basically buying the rims and sensors at a great price, and the tires were a bonus. I am thinking the Nokian LT3 to replace them, in a year or two.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:19 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Hi Bob,

My Test Drive results:

Driving perfectly now, definitely needed an alignment! The guys at Midas said the tires are good for another 2 years............

Cheers N40
Good to hear it got resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I bought the Winterforce LT used on rims, and although there is very little tread wear, the studs seem to be worn to where they don't do much on ice. But the tires do seem decent in snow, whether loose or packed.......
The Winterforce LT and the Winterforce 2 standard loads are actually quite different in design and compounding. I would say if comparing to similar products in their same categories (heavy duty tires to heavy duty tires versus standard load tires to standard load tires) I would consider their characteristics to be fairly similar in description as talked about by both what you and I have already said, but compared to each other directly, the Winterforce 2 on a half ton will have much better characteristics in severe conditions than the Winterforce LT on the same half ton.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-05-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Good to hear it got resolved!

The Winterforce LT and the Winterforce 2 standard loads are actually quite different in design and compounding. I would say if comparing to similar products in their same categories (heavy duty tires to heavy duty tires versus standard load tires to standard load tires) I would consider their characteristics to be fairly similar in description as talked about by both what you and I have already said, but compared to each other directly, the Winterforce 2 on a half ton will have much better characteristics in severe conditions than the Winterforce LT on the same half ton.
The Winterforce LT is also a very heavy tire,compared to the Nokian LT3 , which is also an E load rated tire. I will run the Winterforce LT this winter, and likely switch to the Nokian next winter.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:21 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
The Winterforce LT is also a very heavy tire,compared to the Nokian LT3 , which is also an E load rated tire. I will run the Winterforce LT this winter, and likely switch to the Nokian next winter.
Actually, if you are comparing the same sized tires, both being LT casings, you won't find a large degree if weight difference between the two different tires. It will vary size to size of course but I would not expect more than a few pounds of variance one way or the other, which on tires that are often north of 40lbs a tire won't make an appreciable difference at all to real world performance.

That by no means is a knock on either tire. Just more saying that weight differences of 3/4/5 pounds is not a point of consideration for me on an already heavy-duty truck.

Now when I am comparing relative weight differences on a half-ton truck, when looking at standard load rated tires versus LT rated tires, the weight differences can be much greater. Rather than just a few pounds it can easily be 15 pounds or more per tire in the same size, and on these trucks with motors with generally less torque and suspension components with less beef, that certainly has more of an effect.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-05-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Actually, if you are comparing the same sized tires, both being LT casings, you won't find a large degree if weight difference between the two different tires. It will vary size to size of course but I would not expect more than a few pounds of variance one way or the other, which on tires that are often north of 40lbs a tire won't make an appreciable difference at all to real world performance.

That by no means is a knock on either tire. Just more saying that weight differences of 3/4/5 pounds is not a point of consideration for me on an already heavy-duty truck.

Now when I am comparing relative weight differences on a half-ton truck, when looking at standard load rated tires versus LT rated tires, the weight differences can be much greater. Rather than just a few pounds it can easily be 15 pounds or more per tire in the same size, and on these trucks with motors with generally less torque and suspension components with less beef, that certainly has more of an effect.
On the size I have on my truck, 275 65R18 the Winterforce LT is listed as 52.2lbs, and the LT3 at 44.1lbs, so a difference of 8lbs. I actually don't need an LT tire on my half ton, but I like the much deeper tread on the LTR , compared to their P series winter tires.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:00 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
On the size I have on my truck, 275 65R18 the Winterforce LT is listed as 52.2lbs, and the LT3 at 44.1lbs, so a difference of 8lbs. I actually don't need an LT tire on my half ton, but I like the much deeper tread on the LTR , compared to their P series winter tires.
Oh buy all means you gotta go with what you like for sure... I would select the Nokian over the Winterforce LT myself too if the budget was not a concern. That said, I would not go LT on a half ton because I much prefer the better compounds that are not available on heavy duty tires (that type of compounding would get ripped on in severe heavy service so none are built with them). That is one of the reasons the LT's have deeper lugs. Because the heavy duty use tires use compounding that has to be tougher under extreme loads etc, it is not as flexible in cold, and they need deeper lugs to power through snow rather than spreading open better to give more biting edges. Not wrong or right either way. Just different and we all like different things for different reasons.

Side note... My data shows that specific Firestone to be 49lbs while I do see on their consumer site it shows 52lbs. Surprisingly not that uncommon to have conflicting info between sources, but now that you have planted that seed in my head so I am going to go on a tangent tomorrow and find out where the disconnect is! haha! These are actually the things I have fun doing... Having done the exact same thing day in and day out for 34 years, I live for the days something new is learned, or unlearned for that matter. It is even better when I can take a manufacturer to task hahaha!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-05-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Oh buy all means you gotta go with what you like for sure... I would select the Nokian over the Winterforce LT myself too if the budget was not a concern. That said, I would not go LT on a half ton because I much prefer the better compounds that are not available on heavy duty tires (that type of compounding would get ripped on in severe heavy service so none are built with them). That is one of the reasons the LT's have deeper lugs. Because the heavy duty use tires use compounding that has to be tougher under extreme loads etc, it is not as flexible in cold, and they need deeper lugs to power through snow rather than spreading open better to give more biting edges. Not wrong or right either way. Just different and we all like different things for different reasons.

Side note... My data shows that specific Firestone to be 49lbs while I do see on their consumer site it shows 52lbs. Surprisingly not that uncommon to have conflicting info between sources, but now that you have planted that seed in my head so I am going to go on a tangent tomorrow and find out where the disconnect is! haha! These are actually the things I have fun doing... Having done the exact same thing day in and day out for 34 years, I live for the days something new is learned, or unlearned for that matter. It is even better when I can take a manufacturer to task hahaha!
With the size I need,and only Kal Tire handling Nokian locally,my options are the same size in the R3 SUV, or the LT3. If I move up to the 275 70R 18, to closer match the diameter of the factory 275 60R 20 tires, to keep my speedometer and odometer more accurate, my only choice is the LT3. I don't think I will go studded next time. I am actually surprised how worn my current studs are, for the amount of wear on the tread, but I bought them used, so no idea of the usage prior to me owning them.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
We have the same vehicle, and its pretty hard on fuel. Wifes Xterra is better, but Rav has lots of power. Side opening rear “hatch” door I hate, and it rattles constantly..actually it has quite a few rattles, surprising for a Toyota. But fun to drive and pretty easy to live with on a daily basis as long as you can take the less than stellar mpg. Just my 2cents.
269 horsepower baby! What's not to like?

Any rattle on the rear door is the sparetire mount/cover. It can be tightened up.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:34 PM

I've been meaning to post an update on the Goodyear Winter Command tires.

Our previous winter tires were a Michelin. Whenever the winter Michelins were put on, we noticed an increased tire noise. When the summer Michelins were put on, we noticed better handling and less tire noise.

The Goodyear Winter Command gave us winter traction at least as good as the previous winter Michelins while being considerably quieter. Thanks Bob!

What I didn't expect is that when the summer Michelins were put on back in April, is that we noticed how more noise they generated in comparison to the Goodyear Winter Command.

When the summer Michelin are worn out, I'll be checking if Goodyear has a summer tire that is a companion to the Goodyear Winter Command.