Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2021, 11:54 AM

I’m no longer welcome in restaurants so thankfully I no longer need to tip
Old 12-05-2021, 11:56 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Go shopping less often but spend twice as much.
That fiver will seem more reasonable?
I might need a different plan.

I usually go shopping every week or so. It's an hour to Wainright .What I save on groceries and fuel pays for the trip.

I really got into your idea and decided "I would only shop once a month, save a ton of money and only have to shop one day a month..

SOOO. When I finished shopping I asked for some help to load up my groceries. Got to my truck and they had sent 3 youngsters to help. LOL So much for the 5 buck tip.LOL.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-05-2021, 12:47 PM

Old 12-05-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
I’ve been to Australia a few times and tipping is nonexistent or rare. Servers are paid a pretty high minimum wage. It was absolutely the worst service I’ve ever experienced many times while dining over there. Nobody seemed to care if your food was cold or if it ever came. No incentive to do a good job .
Lol. I was going to mention about no tipping in Australia as well. You can tip of course, but it is not expected.
Service was great. It was the exact same as here. Everyone just expects tips here, and there, they get paid more because it’s built into the price.

If you can go to Australia and be that negative, I’m sure it’s more about your attitude than the tip debate.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Lol. I was going to mention about no tipping in Australia as well. You can tip of course, but it is not expected.
Service was great. It was the exact same as here. Everyone just expects tips here, and there, they get paid more because it’s built into the price.

If you can go to Australia and be that negative, I’m sure it’s more about your attitude than the tip debate.
I have been to Australia twice. Landowner is right, service in restaurants there suck. Wages are so high that most restaurants, except fine dining, are pretty much self serve. The fine dining restaurants try very hard to hire Europeans or Canadians as servers. Australians are gregarious and friendly but their work ethic is non existant. The second trip we were considering opening a couple of businesses. After a fair amount of investigation we decided not to, strictly due to the labour costs and issues getting people to work hard despite very high wages. .Ten years ago most servers were making 22 to 25 bucks an hour.

Japan, tips are considered down right rude yet service is exemplary. Same through most of Europe where tipping is not part of the culture but great service is.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:16 PM

Re:Australian customer service.

Since there was another that described Australian customer service. I did a quick search on google and came up with this Australian who seems to understand the issue.

It’s pretty hard to answer without context. Based on the demographics on this site, I’ll assume you are American.

What you are experiencing, is culture shock. When I deal with American customer service, if I don’t make allowances for difference in culture, at times I will experience the following:

Why are you so excited and peppy? Did you take drugs before you started your shift?
Why are you reaffirming what I ask for, I’m not so insecure that I need congratulations for making a decision?
Why the hell are you interrupting my conversation, to ask if everything is okay. It’s fine. You’ll know if it’s not.

Australian customer service may appear lazy and inefficient at first glance. The reality is that it’s optimised towards the experience that Australians would prefer.

Unless I’m dining silver service, I’d rather have a bottle of tap water on the table. If you happen to walk past and notice that the bottle is empty, you can come and replace it in an unobtrusive manner that doesn’t disrupt my enjoyment of the meal and company. If you have an area with bottles of tap water and glasses available, I’m happy to self-serve.

When I order, I’ll ask if I need advice. If I pick an item then just note down that I’d like it. If the restaurant is a little different from usual (for instance an item doesn’t come with a side that’s normally provided at other restaurants) then you may recommend that I add it. If you feel like this restaurant is different enough to warrant serious advice on ordering, then ask if we’ve dined there before when you give us the menu, and let us know that you can help us order if we are unsure.

In Australia, we expect the staff to be paid a proper, living, minimum wage. That’s a given. Staff do not earn money based on the customer’s appreciation. We don’t want you to fawn over us, we are all equals. Dealing with someone who is paid largely with tips, is like negotiation with someone whose balls you have in a vice, it’s inherently distasteful. When a staff member goes the extra mile in Australia, you know they do so without expectation of reward, although appreciative customers have the option to tip in appreciation.

Try looking at your experience again, and try and negate fundamental attribution error. Assume for a minute, that Australians love the kind of service they receive, and that the lack of tipping doesn’t in fact shield servers from the cruel realities of capitalism. The option to exercise power, is just far less direct in Australia. Maybe it will make sense to you then.

I guess I also get annoyed when intrusive waiters in our restaurant.
I guess different strokes for different folks. But I would much prefer the Australian way to the American way.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
"How are the first few bites tasting?" Whoever came up with that gem in the server training manual should be flogged.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
"How are the first few bites tasting?" Whoever came up with that gem in the server training manual should be flogged.
Hmmm , okay thanks? And they walk away.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Since there was another that described Australian customer service. I did a quick search on google and came up with this Australian who seems to understand the issue.

It’s pretty hard to answer without context. Based on the demographics on this site, I’ll assume you are American.

What you are experiencing, is culture shock. When I deal with American customer service, if I don’t make allowances for difference in culture, at times I will experience the following:

Why are you so excited and peppy? Did you take drugs before you started your shift?
Why are you reaffirming what I ask for, I’m not so insecure that I need congratulations for making a decision?
Why the hell are you interrupting my conversation, to ask if everything is okay. It’s fine. You’ll know if it’s not.

Australian customer service may appear lazy and inefficient at first glance. The reality is that it’s optimised towards the experience that Australians would prefer.

Unless I’m dining silver service, I’d rather have a bottle of tap water on the table. If you happen to walk past and notice that the bottle is empty, you can come and replace it in an unobtrusive manner that doesn’t disrupt my enjoyment of the meal and company. If you have an area with bottles of tap water and glasses available, I’m happy to self-serve.

When I order, I’ll ask if I need advice. If I pick an item then just note down that I’d like it. If the restaurant is a little different from usual (for instance an item doesn’t come with a side that’s normally provided at other restaurants) then you may recommend that I add it. If you feel like this restaurant is different enough to warrant serious advice on ordering, then ask if we’ve dined there before when you give us the menu, and let us know that you can help us order if we are unsure.

In Australia, we expect the staff to be paid a proper, living, minimum wage. That’s a given. Staff do not earn money based on the customer’s appreciation. We don’t want you to fawn over us, we are all equals. Dealing with someone who is paid largely with tips, is like negotiation with someone whose balls you have in a vice, it’s inherently distasteful. When a staff member goes the extra mile in Australia, you know they do so without expectation of reward, although appreciative customers have the option to tip in appreciation.

Try looking at your experience again, and try and negate fundamental attribution error. Assume for a minute, that Australians love the kind of service they receive, and that the lack of tipping doesn’t in fact shield servers from the cruel realities of capitalism. The option to exercise power, is just far less direct in Australia. Maybe it will make sense to you then.

I guess different strokes for different folks. But I would much prefer the Australian way to the American way.
My three trips to Aus, I lived and traveled with many Australians, they hated the service there as well. Spent a couple of winters there. After a while you just accept it .
Old 12-06-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:

Hornswoggle. Someone can bend it, try to justify it, whatever. Lousy inattentive service is the result of Australians' attitude to work. The only part that is right in the article is you would have a real hard time getting an Aussie into a commission based job, if you eat what you kill most would starve to death. Paying very high wages did not provide better quality employees. I never met a single Australian that thought the service in restaurants, hotels, grocery stores etc was anything but lousy. When on the subject of service, which we discussed a lot as part of the research, they also regularly commented how great the service was, any place they had travelled outside Australia, but particularly in the States.

We were not looking at opening restaurants, we were looking at doing a chain of quick lubes. After spending a lot of time talking to business owners and checking out the challenges, the labour issues faced by businesses was clearly a problem. Unless you were planning to staff with off shore talent there wasn't a way around it. Tipping has nothing to do with this issue, like I said before, lots of places that have no tipping still have exceptional service.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-06-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:40 AM

A group of AO Alberta Forum members are eating at a diner. The waitress walks by and asks " Is anything alright?"...
Old 12-06-2021, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydude View Post
A group of AO Alberta Forum members are eating at a diner. The waitress walks by and asks " Is anything alright?"...
Old 12-06-2021, 12:55 PM

I generally tip between 15-20 percent for decent to exceptional service.

A week a go 5 couples out for dinner to Japanese Village at WEM. First time I ever tipped 0 percent. The show stopper managed to splatter hot grease on us. He over cooked everyones dinner. The rice that accompanies all of their dishes came to us after the lacklustre performance by the guy throwing knives. We weren't asked if we wanted a second drink. It was a very bad experience to say the least.

Following this we all went to the Comedy Club and enjoyed great service and a good time. Tipped generously. Those guys at the CC run their asses off.

BW
Old 12-06-2021, 02:45 PM

Cheers !!! that made me laugh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
I’m no longer welcome in restaurants so thankfully I no longer need to tip
Old 12-06-2021, 03:40 PM

I only eat at 2 small mom and pop, meat and potatoes restaurant’s out my way, and their tip expectations are pretty low. I do give them a good tip, but they couldn’t care less I don’t think. These places are like going to friends place to eat, if you want another coffee or beer and they are busy, you get up and get it your self. I gave up other big restaurants years ago, I don’t have the patience for an “ eating experience “.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:40 PM

Quite a few years ago I was in Idaho. The best service we had was at a Denny's type restaurant. They made half of the normal minimum wage, according to the waiter at least. I did talk to a couple of friends when we were down there about it and they said it was normal. They relied very heavily on tips to make their money and it showed. Best service I've ever had at a restaurant.

The worst service I had was Tony Roma's in Medicine Hat, with a group of 12. Big group tipping was not on their menu and more than once, even after speaking with him and his manager about it, we had to track down the server, in a near empty place, just to try and get another drink. They were at a set 20% and wouldn't budge on the mandatory tipping.

I tip when I go to a sit down restaurant where they actually serve me. Service will dictate, obviously the better the service, the better the tip. Buffet, I serve myself for the most part, but if they are attentive with clearing plates, refilling drinks, etc, They get a decent tip. Not huge, 15% or so. I have walked out paying just the bill. Mandatory tipping for a local chinese joint, even for takeout. I told them no once I got to the joint and saw the bill. Again, at that time, nothing on the menu.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:30 PM

My take on tipping, and this is only what’s in my head.

I don’t agree with tipping. I think it’s up to the employer to pay their employees wages, not me. But I’ll realize just because I think that way, doesn’t make it so. Tipping is part of the game. So for the most part I don’t eat out. If I do eat out, it’s for food I can’t easily make at home.

$100 doesn’t get you much at the keg. For $120 I can go to Costco (but I don’t cause I raise, kill and butcher my own beef) buy an entire strip loin, a nice garlic bread, and a good bottle of wine. Cut 3 beauty steaks, put a bunch in the freezer, make a salad, drink the wine, not have to worry about driving home, and not have to deal with the server who’s trying to pretend she cares about my dining experience, while she’s straining to keep her eyes open under the weight of her 1” eyelash extensions.

If I’m on the road and need a meal I’ll go to the grocery store and pick up some charcuterie, cheese, crackers and fruit.

Tipping, combined with high prices ( due to taxes, rent, groceries - not profit ) have pretty much forced me out of restaurants.

Last edited by ditch donkey; 12-06-2021 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:15 PM

10% up to $10 for pizza delivery

15% for good food and good service.

Recently didn’t tip at a local sushi place because there was a large sharp bone on a roll. Tooth was a little sore but I was lucky. Waitress was like oh well. When the bill came I said did you want to see it. She took it away to show the chef.

Came back and said sorry. Couldn’t get a discount to work. Ya. No tip.

I also don’t tip for pick up food or fast food.

I refuse to use skip. Companies like that are driving restaurant prices through the roof.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-07-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Fat burger in red deer has a tip expectation when you pay, before they even make your burger. I'm not comfortable with that so I don't eat there anymore. I go next door to Carl's jr 100% of the time instead.
Funny you mention Fat Burger, when I was a private investigator we got hired by upper management to check out a few of their local joints. They would call out "FAT TIP" if you tipped well and you would get your food faster with extra fries. If you didn't tip you would be waiting and let just say you wouldn't want to eat it when you got it.....

I haven't been back to one since.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-07-2021, 08:44 AM

One of my kids worked in restaurants for a while. one thing to remember is that at the end of the night the server shares a portion of the tip with the back-of-the-house staff so a no tip costs the server money.

According to him if you really want to send a message for bad service you should tip 6% that tells the server everyone else got paid but not them.

Because a no tip could mean you forgot or your a ***** a 6% is a clear "you suck"
Old 12-07-2021, 08:45 AM

I went to a drive through oil change place and you guessed it 10%,20% on the Interact machine.

I won't be going back there again
Old 12-07-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
One of my kids worked in restaurants for a while. one thing to remember is that at the end of the night the server shares a portion of the tip with the back-of-the-house staff so a no tip costs the server money.

According to him if you really want to send a message for bad service you should tip 6% that tells the server everyone else got paid but not them.

Because a no tip could mean you forgot or your a ***** a 6% is a clear "you suck"
It doesn’t cost them money, plus the back of house is often paid the same wage.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

I refuse to use skip. Companies like that are driving restaurant prices through the roof.
Typically Skip prices are higher then the actual menu prices to help offset the charge to skip. However, my suggestion to you would be use skip to find your restaurant and then call and place an order yourself for pick up.

Skip charges insane pricing, takes all the profit out for the restaurants, however, if the restaurants maintain a good skip score, they get incredible advertising from it, as the higher the skip score the closer you are to the top. Lets be honest, who scrolls through 3 pages to find a restaurant. 90% pick something on the first page.

Now with restaurants being back open the money from skip flows through a little better, as the restaurant is no longer just paying the staff to cook skip, the cook is there anyhow, the waitress is there anyhow. So there is a little profit in it. As well if you had a good skip service you are more likely to visit the restaurant in person when your comfortable with that.

As for tipping I definitely tip less now then I used to. Restaurants raised their prices to cover the minimum wage increase. average guest check per person at Joey/Earls/Moxies etc is about $30/person assume a server has a 4 table section 1 table of 4 1 table of 3 and 2 tables of 2=11 people turn them once per our. 11x30= $330 x20%=$66 in tip plus $15.00/hour=81/hour. Seems a little ridiculous. It is no wonder the waitresses finish their degrees and then keep working in the restaurants instead of an entry level position in their field. They can work half the time and make the same money.

If minimum wage is a living wage we shouldn't be expected to tip.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:55 AM

Okay so me and the bride went for supper to a fish & chip shop last week.
They even had a bottle of sanitizer on the table. Yes it had a fancy pump therefore it was easy to use. We were half through our meal, the nice waitress came by and asked how our meal was. I picked up the bottle of sanitizer and told her that I put that stuff on my fries and now I don't feel well. She was going to give us a free meal. I couldn't go through with that one. Forgive me Lord for that one.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:09 AM

I picked up my date the other night, attractive blonde with a sunny disposition. She had just finished a 5 hour shift serving at a local pub on a Thursday evening. She had brought home $300 in cash tips and then will still get her minimum wage pay check the following week. $75/hour is pretty good for slinging beer and delivering plates of nachos.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:35 PM

We went for lunch and a movie today, went to a new restaurant. The waitress was REAL chatty, told us her life story more or less, too much detail on some things but was friendly, chatty, fairly attentive even though she did not go what I ordered.

I gave her a $20 tip on a $50 bill, didnt even bat an eye or thank me.

Apparently it is expected now.

Next time 0 tip, guess it will have to even out. Maybe she will get it then.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-14-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
I picked up my date the other night, attractive blonde with a sunny disposition. She had just finished a 5 hour shift serving at a local pub on a Thursday evening. She had brought home $300 in cash tips and then will still get her minimum wage pay check the following week. $75/hour is pretty good for slinging beer and delivering plates of nachos.
Did you give her the tip at the end of the date…?
Old 05-14-2022, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Did you give her the tip at the end of the date…?
No, I think she paid him….
Old 05-15-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
I couldn’t agree more. And “have a good rest of your day”
Old 05-15-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
I picked up my date the other night, attractive blonde with a sunny disposition. She had just finished a 5 hour shift serving at a local pub on a Thursday evening. She had brought home $300 in cash tips and then will still get her minimum wage pay check the following week. [I]$75/hour is pretty good for slinging beer and delivering plates of nachos[/I].
Marry her , makes good money and knows what you want for hockey games.