Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2021, 11:44 AM

Default Traveling for Christmas

Is anyone going somewhere tropical for Christmas? I think I leave for Mexico next Monday but with all these restrictions I don’t know if they will let us
Old 12-05-2021, 11:48 AM

We cancelled our shot Show in Vegas as of the last update from USA and who knows what Canada will do in the next 6 weeks, take your chances returning to Canada
Old 12-05-2021, 11:55 AM
Banned

A friend of mine went to Florida last week, for a one-week trip.

She said it was ok going there she had a 2 covid shots card, but coming home she had to locate and find a place to get a covid test which took her all day long to do before she could get on the plane!
Old 12-05-2021, 12:02 PM

I'd love to go somewhere but my wife and have discussed it and getting back with the testing seems like a hassle. Its my own imagination but some unscrupulous testing facilities could hit you with a USD cash demand for said test... would it surprise anyone if a test sight in Mexico said yeah I can give you a covid test, its $575.00, $500 cash and the $75 for the till.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:17 PM

We’ve been looking to head to Mexico for Xmas but we keep flip flopping. And when we think we’re going to go the prices are crazy (as they always are at Xmas). I don’t know if the testing is too big of a deal but things seem to be changing. Our biggest concern is the possibility of having a positive test to come home. If we catch the Vids for some reason we’d be stuck down there till you get a negative test or 14 days after a positive test. So the one week trip turns into a 3 week trip and who knows if you’ll have to quarantine when you get home. And my work has me fill out a questionnaire asking if I was out of the country in the last 14 days. If you answer yes I can’t go to location. I’m sure a conversation with the office would be fine but I don’t know if the client will feel the same way. I think we’ll save it up for April when it’s breakup.

My mom was supposed to be staying down there but had to have hip surgery so she cancelled her house rental for the year. But of course the surgery got cancelled and now she can’t get her place back. I think that’s the only way we’d go. Chances of catching the Vids goes down dramatically if you’re not staying at a resort.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:25 PM

My 85 year old Dad and his buddy 86 are going to Cancun hell or high water he said getting stuck in Mexico for an extra two couple weeks won't deter him.

I'm more worried than he is
Old 12-05-2021, 02:31 PM

Does fort mcmurray at xmas count as somewhere tropical
Old 12-05-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I'd love to go somewhere but my wife and have discussed it and getting back with the testing seems like a hassle. Its my own imagination but some unscrupulous testing facilities could hit you with a USD cash demand for said test... would it surprise anyone if a test sight in Mexico said yeah I can give you a covid test, its $575.00, $500 cash and the $75 for the till.
Check with local hospitals. My sister came down from Manitoba and just got a test at a hospital that CSBA accepted. Yes it cost but it is not what I would call an unscrupulous facility nor was it excessively expensive.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:38 PM

If you are in the states you can book an test at Walgreens using their online form and use your hotel as the address. The test is free. Only way I would be travelling right now is by car. No way would I chance air travel and get locked down somewhere.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
My 85 year old Dad and his buddy 86 are going to Cancun hell or high water he said getting stuck in Mexico for an extra two couple weeks won't deter him.

I'm more worried than he is
Some people know how to live well. Good for them.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-05-2021, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
With all this Global Warming going on, who knows
Old 12-05-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
With all this Global Warming going on, who knows
No kidding- foot of snow in Hawaii!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-05-2021, 05:51 PM

Default International travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Check with local hospitals. My sister came down from Manitoba and just got a test at a hospital that CSBA accepted. Yes it cost but it is not what I would call an unscrupulous facility nor was it excessively expensive.
Hospitals in AB Do not, Will not test anyone requesting COVID testing for travel. Find a clinic or call Healthlink to arrange testing.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Does the sawridge hotel still have the awesome sweet potato fries? If they do I’d go back, order 2 servings and call it all you can eat!
Old 12-06-2021, 06:12 AM

Not sure if we are going to Costa Rica this year. We hadn't planned to go until after New Years so we'll see what transpires by then. The owner of the house we rent is holding it for us until we decide, which is pretty decent of him.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:28 AM

This is the second year that we will not be going to Mexico this year for Christmas. But we will be going in February, we just booked the flight but no accommodations yet and car rental.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:15 AM

Just finalized my trip to Costa Rica last night going regardless of all this stuff going on in the world unless they shut it down ,amonth would be better than 2 weeks anyway

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2021, 07:53 AM

Default Covid test

Now I’m not a 100 percent but if you are vaccinated I believe you do not need a negative test to get on the plane UNLESS the country you are going to requires it which as of now Mexico doesn’t
Old 12-06-2021, 08:00 AM

Default Great deal

We booked back in May and got a 10 day trip for 5600 for family of four now it’s at 8600
Old 12-06-2021, 08:15 AM

I just got back from 2 weeks in Puerto Vallarta on November 21st. had a great time! In getting the PCR tests, I highly recommend you get them done at the lab set up at the airport. 1/2 the price and they know what they are doing.
One thing you have to think about is are you actually safer in Mexico? I say yes. The flu season is always worse in Canada in the winter because you are always breathing inside air due to the cold temperature, while in Mexico, you are outside almost always 100% of the time. Even in restaurants, they are wide open to the elements. Fresh air always moving around. Something to think about.
As for the planes, they now have Hospital quality hepa filters filtering the air. Plus, you wear make and everyone has at least 2 vaccines, or you can't get on. Plane is probably the safest place to be.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:29 AM

Was trying to book a resort in and around Cancun right up to a week ago and we changed our minds. I still have a credit from Westjet from spring break trip cancelled in 2020. Oh well.
Just can't take the chance if one of the 4 of us tests positive. Maybe over extreme but can't chance not going back to work on our return also. Lots of might happens but not a great way to go through life either.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:54 AM

I just got back from Arizona 3 weeks ago after spending 4 weeks. Walgreens and CVS charge $135 US (no freebie as reported) - found a free drive through testing place, thankfully as the alternative was $250 in Phoenix airport (if you could get in as it was over-booked the day I travelled). The other issue now is the 24 hour window is a big problem to get your test results in time! I wouldn’t consider going again with the hassle.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scesfiremedic View Post
I just got back from Arizona 3 weeks ago after spending 4 weeks. Walgreens and CVS charge $135 US (no freebie as reported) - found a free drive through testing place, thankfully as the alternative was $250 in Phoenix airport (if you could get in as it was over-booked the day I travelled). The other issue now is the 24 hour window is a big problem to get your test results in time! I wouldn’t consider going again with the hassle.

Walgreen's actual site to book free tests. Some states cover testing even for out of state or country. Most if you put in a local state address will cover you. Changes regularly, check the list on the FAQs page of the Walgreen site. Most of the States that follow CDC testing guidelines cover all tests, including travellers. It also lists the ones that can provide rapid test results. If you aren't covered, their 1 hour test is still far cheaper than most other places.

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/c...vanity_testing

Last edited by Dean2; 12-06-2021 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Only way I would be travelling right now is by car. No way would I chance air travel and get locked down somewhere.
Same here.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scesfiremedic View Post
I know 4 separate people (families) that have recently returned and they all said that Walgreens was free. But you need a car, drive through only.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
I know 4 separate people (families) that have recently returned and they all said that Walgreens was free. But you need a car, drive through only.
Those free ones are hit and miss. Vegas with my gal saw us paying.. Phoenix on her girls trip saw her get a free one and returned in time. Seattle 2 weekends ago was a free one that didnt show up on time followed by a mad scramble for a paid rapid one..... Dont count on free.. And certainly add it into your schedule.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:28 PM
Banned

Double tap.. Though my post should be repeated.. LOLOL
Old 12-07-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
They hit a snag with covid testing on the way back,
everything is changing so fast the latest is they may get randomly tested on the way back, you take a test then quarantine at home until you get the results back.
The problem is they get back on Dec. 23 just what an 85 year old man needs to spend Christmas alone waiting for a negative test results.

It's changing bihourly they don't leave until Saturday maybe things will change.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:03 PM

Default travelling for Xmas or whenever

Feel like travelling, go right ahead but don't bitch & moan about how inconvenient it is with all the restrictions that are currently in place if you do go. Your only alternative would be not to travel.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:48 PM

Any news about Cuba?