Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-05-2021, 07:37 AM

Default 165 gr berger match,lapua palma,gm,43/varget

I lent my gun in a shoot in eganville, on
to altar a freind it was first he ever shot a centerfire rifle.
There was a time limit of 7 min to fire 5 shots
after a couple min altar looked at me shooting from bench next him can see the shots. I looked over at his target using a 12x to 42 nightforce and said not so change anthing aim same place.
He shot the best group the day.
Rem 700/308 24 in barrel hv.168 gr bergers,43 varget, kissing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eganville .308 Rem.jpg (36.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 12-05-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitou210 View Post
I lent my gun in a shoot in eganville, on
to altar a freind it was first he ever shot a centerfire rifle.
There was a time limit of 7 min to fire 5 shots
after a couple min altar looked at me shooting from bench next him can see the shots. I looked over at his target using a 12x to 42 nightforce and said not so change anthing aim same place.
He shot the best group the day.
Rem 700/308 24 in barrel hv.168 gr bergers,43 varget, kissing
very cool Manitou!
Was this a hunter style bench comp?
Got details on the rules ?
Cat
Old 12-05-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
For years the goto standard load for 300 meter International match was the 308 and a 168 bullet and 39 grains of 3031
Cat
That’s interesting! Last year when he first bought the rifle I found this recipe online and determined it to be safe. I loaded it up for him and his first 3 shots at 200 yards were 1.5”. I felt that was pretty good for a 13 year old. This was with 168 Gr Berger bullets. I loaded up the same with interlocks and he didn’t shoot as well. I’m thinking it was probably operator error. I’m going to try that again too.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
That’s interesting! Last year when he first bought the rifle I found this recipe online and determined it to be safe. I loaded it up for him and his first 3 shots at 200 yards were 1.5”. I felt that was pretty good for a 13 year old. This was with 168 Gr Berger bullets. I loaded up the same with interlocks and he didn’t shoot as well. I’m thinking it was probably operator error. I’m going to try that again too.
It could be thee bullet itself or the OAL needs too be tweaked a bit?
1.5" at 200 is nothing to sneeze at!
Cat
Old 12-05-2021, 08:50 AM

That’s a good suggestion. I will load up a few more and play with the seating depth. I have a good amount of 3031 on hand and it seems to be readily available.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
For years the goto standard load for 300 meter International match was the 308 and a 168 bullet and 39 grains of 3031
Cat
Oh, I've got to try that load! Just picked up a Lee Enfield chambered in 308!
Old 12-05-2021, 08:54 PM

Default H4895 - Reduced Loads

I am not sure if this is what you are after in terms of a .308 load for your son - but if it is reduced recoil you are after (I am assuming he may be younger and you are looking to soften the recoil..... which may not be correct)

Firstly - there is an AO member who mentioned that he handloaded a reduced recoil load in .308 for his daughter in his YouTube channel. Brobee223

I have no experience with a .308 load specifically but I have has some experience in following Hodgdon's protocols for developing a "reduced rifle load" for my sons .243 as he was growing up.

I did not want him to develop a flinch, so handloaded his .243 to a 60% max load in H4895 (as per their protocol). As he matured over the years, I would titrate up the load until he began shooting full "hunting loads" the year before he began big game hunting.

Hodgdon also has a protocol for "low recoil" loads with their TrailBoss powder - I have no experience with these loads directly as the low recoil loads were good enough for my 8 year old. My understanding is that the recoil is even less than the reduced loads though.

Anyways not sure if this is the type of load you are looking too develop - but food for thought

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/low-recoil-loads
Old 12-05-2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post
I am not sure if this is what you are after in terms of a .308 load for your son - but if it is reduced recoil you are after (I am assuming he may be younger and you are looking to soften the recoil..... which may not be correct)

Firstly - there is an AO member who mentioned that he handloaded a reduced recoil load in .308 for his daughter in his YouTube channel. Brobee223

I have no experience with a .308 load specifically but I have has some experience in following Hodgdon's protocols for developing a "reduced rifle load" for my sons .243 as he was growing up.

I did not want him to develop a flinch, so handloaded his .243 to a 60% max load in H4895 (as per their protocol). As he matured over the years, I would titrate up the load until he began shooting full "hunting loads" the year before he began big game hunting.

Hodgdon also has a protocol for "low recoil" loads with their TrailBoss powder - I have no experience with these loads directly as the low recoil loads were good enough for my 8 year old. My understanding is that the recoil is even less than the reduced loads though.

Anyways not sure if this is the type of load you are looking too develop - but food for thought

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/low-recoil-loads
Thank you for your help on that and suggestions. Actually he handles it quite well and has been shooting regular loads. I did get him a muzzle break just to soften it a bit. I’m only looking for some common load suggestions that can save me a bit of time and money on components. Thanks again.