Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2014, 03:03 PM

Default Shuswap lake ??

Our family is getting a house boat August long weekend on Shuswap. We would like to do some fishing but we have never fished a lake like this before. We are more hard water kind of people. Can you guys tell me what to expect, tips and tricks?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:44 PM

Default Shuswap

There will be so many boats out there August long you would be lucky to get a line in the water without another boat running it over!! Everything will be deep due to the time of year and the amount of boat activity. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:22 PM

Troll apex 50 ft down.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Banned

Cool

Big gear ,big leads by the end of aug 100' + is not very deep . A proper hand held gps is crucial for speed a portable sounder also makes a huge differance . Get boat to speed 2.0 mph ---4.0 mph then drop lines off the upper deck as far forad as is safe . This lets you use the portable sounder off the stern to help "see" what depth you getting for that drop back ie 40' ↓ 40'→ with 4oz at 2.8 mph so 60pulls = 120 ' with 4oz would get 120' down give or take . This math is just for example. Once lines are run I used small bunggies to hold rods off the hand rail with boards out we managed 8 lines lol. Good luck BD13 will have better info for lures and such as he has lots more time on the shoe.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:18 PM

PM will be coming, too tired right now, get you something in the morning. Do you know where you will be travelling on your trip?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:44 AM

I have absolutely no idea where we are going. I was just told by my boss that we are going on a houseboat August long weekend. He just told me to research how you fish a lake like this.