Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-10-2014, 07:27 AM

Default Seen This?

I was looking over more of my Ice fishing Vids from this season, and came across this incident that I thought was weird. I am used to drilling a hole and have water come out of it throughout the day due to the snow pack on the ice, but I have never had snow melt on the ice flow into the hole before. Here is the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe_746IFwHk . It flowed in the hole like that for a good 4 hours. Just one of those things I haven't seen before.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:00 AM

I didn't see it this year, but I have other years. Sure makes you think about how many people stepped around the other side of the truck to get rid of a cup of coffee, or better yet, a breakfast burrito, and now, it's all flowing right to your "honey hole"!
Old 04-10-2014, 03:34 PM

I was fishing at the provincial park at Pigeon on Tuesday and every open hole had meltwater pouring into it.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzibar View Post
I didn't see it this year, but I have other years. Sure makes you think about how many people stepped around the other side of the truck to get rid of a cup of coffee, or better yet, a breakfast burrito, and now, it's all flowing right to your "honey hole"!
Oh brother, after hearing that I may have to go sanitize all my boots.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:28 PM

I had something similar happen at Lessard lake earlier this winter. It was right after we had the warmer temps with a lot of wind which turned the lake into a skating rink. First time I have ever seen it myself.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:08 PM

Snow and ice melting. It's has to go some ware. Will not uphill so down the hole she goes. Never had much luck in drain holes.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gor View Post
Snow and ice melting. It's has to go some ware. Will not uphill so down the hole she goes. Never had much luck in drain holes.
I'm glad that it didn't have that affect on the way that my fishing went, but then again this spot is always awesome. But then again I was going for whitefish and from what I know and have read, they are supposed to like current just as much as still water if not better. Who knows maybe it was helping my fishing?
Old 04-11-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I had something similar happen at Lessard lake earlier this winter. It was right after we had the warmer temps with a lot of wind which turned the lake into a skating rink. First time I have ever seen it myself.
Nearly broke my neck while on a lake with similar conditions, even as I was wearing ice cleats. Next year I might have to buy some heavy duty ones.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:29 AM

had this happen at chain lakes this year, whole day I was there. don't remember how the fishing was from the drain holes though...

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-11-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
had this happen at chain lakes this year, whole day I was there. don't remember how the fishing was from the drain holes though...
How is the fishing up there around chain now days? I haven't been up there for 3 years.