Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-11-2014, 10:36 PM

Default Why would you fish that?

I thought this article was pretty funny. Not sure if it was posted before.

"I was on a photo shoot a while back on the Henry’s Fork. I had a few minutes to fish and frankly, I needed a fish to photograph, so I asked the guide for a rod. He gave me a set up with a Chernobyl Ant, the fly everyone else was using to NOT catch fish. I didn’t have my gear so I ask if he had any streamers. The reply I got brought steam out of my ears. “This is the Henry’s Fork and we don’t do that here”.

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/gink-...r-key-but-why/
Old 04-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
elitist fart sniffers
Old 04-11-2014, 11:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTkedIUX8U
Old 04-11-2014, 11:52 PM

great article. and why wouldnt they bit a key, they bite spoons. personally I use what the fish will take, Im not proud, and I like to catch fish. doesnt sound like he had much of a guide.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-12-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
great article. and why wouldnt they bit a key, they bite spoons. personally I use what the fish will take, Im not proud, and I like to catch fish. doesnt sound like he had much of a guide.
exactly wayne. I've been playing with and learning fly fishing technique (poorly), but only because I've met fly fishermen that dont treat me like an a-h*le just cause i run a spin rod.

at the end of the day we gotta put asses in the seats, or fishes in the nets.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:05 AM

Ive got a couple fly rods, even caught about that many fish on them. but I like catching sometimes not just fishing so I use what works for me. sure would be awesome to hook into a 5 foot sturgeon on a fly rod though!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-12-2014, 12:51 AM

Personally I feel fly fishing, more to the point how elitest you want to be with it, should be an individual decision very much like religion.

I love the experience of spending hours hunting for the right trout to pursue in shallow water along the bank of the Bow or some Central Alberta creek & then spend another half hour or more finding exactly the right size #20 somethingorother that finally catches that trout to revel in my temporary self-induced triumph & oneness with nature.

However as soon as one preaches to, or tries to put the same level of expectation on others it becomes a far less honourable acheivement, or even a sin of sorts.

BTW, I silently wonder how big a brown I could catch with my wifes chipped Honda key & a little Flashabou...
Old 04-12-2014, 09:59 AM

I have a good friend I grew up with in Calgary ...... he is a smug fart sniffing elitist and purist ..... Orvis clothing, range rover, starbucks coffee etc....

Despite this, we enjoy meeting up and going out and throwing some flies around - but I also bring some spinning gear......just in case.

On a few occasions, when the flies are not producing, I grab the spinning rod and pray to God, confessing all my sins and promising to be good, just so that I will have the fortunate luck to tie into some fish.

On a few very memorable occasions, God rewarded me, and the trash talking starts .... as I start landing fish ....... this is my favorite memory of fishing with my old buddy - lol.

Fly fishing, is just another technique, albeit, there may be more skill and knowledge required to execute, it's just another technique.

There is a 100% chance I'm tying up a car key for our next outing !!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:20 AM

Fishermen are a funny group some are elitists to one style some just believe if you don't fish a species the same way they do you are doing it wrong.

I find life as a fishermen is a lot easier if you focus on what it takes for you to enjoy your day on the water instead of what others are doing. Some would think I am an elitist by how I choose to fish 95% fly and only with flies I tie but it is how I enjoy fishing catching or not. I will share the day on the water with any fishermen I get along with regardless of the gear they use.

Personally I don't about what other use as long as you follow the regs and respect the fish you catch.

Sit back relax and enjoy the day fishing is all that should really matter
Old 04-12-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Fishermen are a funny group some are elitists to one style some just believe if you don't fish a species the same way they do you are doing it wrong.

I find life as a fishermen is a lot easier if you focus on what it takes for you to enjoy your day on the water instead of what others are doing. Some would think I am an elitist by how I choose to fish 95% fly and only with flies I tie but it is how I enjoy fishing catching or not. I will share the day on the water with any fishermen I get along with regardless of the gear they use.

Personally I don't about what other use as long as you follow the regs and respect the fish you catch.

Sit back relax and enjoy the day fishing is all that should really matter
Exactly,,,, it's a two way street, conventional anglers can be just as snobbish as the so called snobbish flyfishers.

I do a lot of flyfishing for pike and walleye and overhear numerous snide comments from nearby anglers usually to the effect of "Look at that guy, doesn't he know there are no trout in this lake?"

And for the record I also do a fair of conventional fishing and ice fishing and have been known to use bait several times a year.

Any time I see a post flogging another angler's style of fishing, I can't help but notice the irony of the "the pot calling the kettle black".

If someone feels they are a superior angler becuz they fish with a fly rod, so be it,,,, is that any different than the walleye / bass dude in a "Nascar jacket" with a $30,000 - $50,000 boat equipped with sonars, fish finders, live wells, multiple spin and baitcasting rods and several hundred dollars worth of lures?

At any rate, lets let anglers of whatever "ilk" have their moments of delusionary grandeur,,, if they are truly that off base, they will get their "comeuppance" when the kid with a zebco spin rod/ reel combo and a can of worms out fishes the fly angler walking around with $2000 worth of rod, reel, vest, waders, flies etc.,,,,

However, just remember "what goes around, come around!" That fly angler will also have his day in the sun and that kid will start dreaming about the day he can learn how to flyfish!!!
Old 04-12-2014, 12:11 PM

As Barry White once said " yeah, I fish with a bobber( strike indicator) sometimes, what of it??!!"
Cat
Old 04-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Banned

I have never understood the rational with thinking you have to tell someone else how to fish or what to use. By this I do not mean suggesting a specific fly or presentation that you have been successful with, I mean what gear they are using.

After fishing for over 50 years my observation is that almost all lures and presentations will catch fish, the key to consistent success is knowing what lure or presentation to use at specific times or conditions.

I use all types of gear and presentations and must say I enjoy them all. The only time I really pay much attention to what someone else is using or doing is when they are kicking my arse. I look at it as a learning experience, and that has been ongoing for as many years as I have been fishing!
Old 04-12-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I have never understood the rational with thinking you have to tell someone else how to fish or what to use. By this I do not mean suggesting a specific fly or presentation that you have been successful with, I mean what gear they are using.

After fishing for over 50 years my observation is that almost all lures and presentations will catch fish, the key to consistent success is knowing what lure or presentation to use at specific times or conditions.

I use all types of gear and presentations and must say I enjoy them all. The only time I really pay much attention to what someone else is using or doing is when they are kicking my arse. I look at it as a learning experience, and that has been ongoing for as many years as I have been fishing!
Totally agree, I have used all methods maybe the correct answer to such a derogatory question of " why would you fish with this" would be
"Why wouldn't or shouldn't i fish with this"??
Cat