Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2020, 04:36 PM

Default Heading to Minawanka for a cool day of fishing on Monday

Thinking bout going on Monday, wind is gusting to 14 km, got a Lund boat, anyone interested in joining?
Old 09-04-2020, 06:57 PM

Wish I could. Love that lake. Best of luck - let us know how you make out.

If you get to do some jigging, buzz bomb has been the ticket for me on that lake.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:28 PM

I am pretty sure that trip has been cancelled. Huge winds and snow in the park. Minny when the wind blows is one very bad lake indeed.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I am pretty sure that trip has been cancelled. Huge winds and snow in the park. Minny when the wind blows is one very bad lake indeed.
10 km winds, bit of snow, high of 7, im doing it, i just did cold lake with 50-60 km winds,,, im ready
Old 09-08-2020, 05:15 PM

It's Tuesday how did ya do? Any smoke from the fire north of there?
Old 09-08-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
It's Tuesday how did ya do? Any smoke from the fire north of there?
Smoke was mostly to the east, some lingering stuff around, cold as hell, some snow when I launched. Caught six, nothing big, released em all. I have never been but I’ll go a few times next summer.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Smoke was mostly to the east, some lingering stuff around, cold as hell, some snow when I launched. Caught six, nothing big, released em all. I have never been but I’ll go a few times next summer.
If you caught 6 fish in one day on that lake ........... you are top of the elite level food chain. Most people are lucky to get one in the boat.

Obviously the guys that fish there all the time probably do well - but most people could only dream of something like that on that lake .......... that's amazing actually.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:10 PM

Just boated around slowly, marking fish depths then went to that actual depth with a shallow area above it and trolled back and forth with a large flasher on the ball and a orange and silver willams 4 feet higher and about 15 feet behind the flasher. So 4 feet off bottom, I didn’t think a fish every two hours was that good and nothing of any size. Wasn’t overly impressed with the lake actually, I would have preferred Newell.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:15 AM

I fished there all weekend and didn't catch a thing. There was so much white fluff in the water that I gummed up all my swivels, and line. My thumb is still soar from picking off all that crap my downrigger cable, and fishing lines. Not a great weekend to use Braided fishing line.

Watching the water bombers planes on the Lake were pretty cool.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Just boated around slowly, marking fish depths then went to that actual depth with a shallow area above it and trolled back and forth with a large flasher on the ball and a orange and silver willams 4 feet higher and about 15 feet behind the flasher. So 4 feet off bottom, I didn’t think a fish every two hours was that good and nothing of any size. Wasn’t overly impressed with the lake actually, I would have preferred Newell.
Trust me, that's outstanding for that lake. Most guys come up empty handed ...I know that lake very well and have put hundreds of hours on it - and a 6 fish day, is outstanding. It's nothing like it was 20-25 years ago. The population of Lakers has crashed.

As far as Newell compared to Minnewanka - that's two different things there - not the same species and certainly not the same scenery.

It really depends what you are after. I can drive 40 minutes from my driveway and be on Wabamun fishing within the hour - and catch 100+ fish a day ......... but it's not as exciting as the dink walleye jump right into the boat for you.

The best Laker fishing in the province has to be Cold Lake. A good day can be 25-30 lakers per person on that lake. I've had days where we can't even get the second downrigger or dipsy set and it's go time already on the first rod.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Trust me, that's outstanding for that lake. Most guys come up empty handed ...I know that lake very well and have put hundreds of hours on it - and a 6 fish day, is outstanding. It's nothing like it was 20-25 years ago. The population of Lakers has crashed.

As far as Newell compared to Minnewanka - that's two different things there - not the same species and certainly not the same scenery.

It really depends what you are after. I can drive 40 minutes from my driveway and be on Wabamun fishing within the hour - and catch 100+ fish a day ......... but it's not as exciting as the dink walleye jump right into the boat for you.

The best Laker fishing in the province has to be Cold Lake. A good day can be 25-30 lakers per person on that lake. I've had days where we can't even get the second downrigger or dipsy set and it's go time already on the first rod.
I was just at cold lake for a week (2 weeks ago), roughest water I have fished in my life, 17 fish between the two of us, In 24 hours of fishing. 2 days we could not even launch. That lake has all my respect!!!! My fishing partner fished way more than me. I had to drive with the gas kicker (Console steer) because my 72” electric kept coming out of the water., We were 2 km out when it was too rough to fish, I learned a lot.
crazy stuff actually.