Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 07:48 AM

Default Alec Baldwin accidentally kills Director Of Photography on movie set

Reminds me of when Bruce Lee’s son was killed during the filing of the crow.
Not a good day in the Hollywood world yesterday….

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/national...a6198bd94/amp/
Old 10-22-2021, 08:05 AM

It's truly sad that this kind of thing can happen in this day and age. It's not like the prop people aren't aware of the fact that blanks can be dangerous, and take precautions, so nobody gets hurt.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:10 AM

The way Hollywood is run I wonder what went on exactly. If a blank gun “misfired” and killed someone I doubt Baldwin would have the hand to hold a phone.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:31 AM

In the case of Brandon Lee the prop guys improperly checked the gun

the prop gun, which is a real revolver, was loaded with improperly-made dummy rounds, cartridges from which the special-effects crew had removed the powder charges so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking ammunitions.
However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges. At some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired; although there was no powder charges, the energy from the ignited primer was enough to separate the bullet from the casing and push it part-way into the gun barrel, where it got stuck (a condition known as a squib load).

For the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and the primer, but no solid bullet, allowing the gun to be fired with sound and flash effects without the risk of an actual projectile. However, the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank round was fired, and the dummy bullet previously lodged in the barrel was then propelled forward by the blank and shot out the muzzle with almost the same force as if the round were live, striking Lee in the abdomen
Old 10-22-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
The way Hollywood is run I wonder what went on exactly. If a blank gun “misfired” and killed someone I doubt Baldwin would have the hand to hold a phone.
With the low standard of plots in today's movies and the reliance on "Action" to compensate for that, accidents like this are inevitable. Latest James Bond being a good example.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-22-2021, 08:49 AM

Such a tragic event.

With Baldwin being as outspoken as he is as an anti-gunner and know-it-all Hollywood leftist, he’s getting roasted pretty bad online. I’ve seen screenshots of various things he’s tweeted and articles of advocacy he’s been up to such as B-list celebs organizing against the NRA, or in response to an article about a police shooting he Tweeted “I wonder how it must feel to wrongfully kill someone” back in 2017. (**edited when I found the verbatim quote)

There is probably a certain former POTUS who used to have a Twitter account who is just itching to comment on this. High road or low road?

Last edited by CaberTosser; 10-22-2021 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:53 AM

He won't have to wonder anymore. Tragic, and totally avoidable. Firearms safety is a thing, even for Hollywood idiots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211022-085300.jpg (18.0 KB, 403 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-22-2021, 09:07 AM

What's he doing pointing and firing the gun at a cinematographer ??
Further evidence identifying that all these righteous anti gunners obviously know ZERO about firearms and firearm safety.
Very sad that the woman lost her life.
Bonehead Baldwin should be charged with use of a firearm committing Criminally Negligent Homicide.....AKA manslaughter.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Further evidence identifying that all these righteous anti gunners obviously know ZERO about firearms and firearm safety.
Bonehead Baldwin should be charged with use of a firearm committing Criminally Negligent Homicide.....AKA manslaughter.
The real irony is that Baldwin is anti firearm, yet he gladly uses one in a movie, because he is paid to. And now he has killed someone with the very device he likes to speak out against.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Well, to be fair, it might not be the best movie if they are just pointing and firing them into the ground for the duration....
Old 10-22-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
True. Why was pointing gun at someone? Irony is unbelievable. The charges I do believe apply.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
True. Why was pointing gun at someone? Irony is unbelievable. The charges I do believe apply.
You have never seen a gun shot from an actor? They shoot towards the camera.

Think about it

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-22-2021, 11:16 AM
Banned

Default Potentially Liable

It seems that he was not shooting an actual scene and was playing with the gun and trying to scare the Director of Photography. He may be liable and potentially face civil lawsuits from her family.

Don't play with guns!

Last edited by North40Rules; 10-22-2021 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Incorect assumption
Old 10-22-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Well, to be fair, it might not be the best movie if they are just pointing and firing them into the ground for the duration....
I have no idea how this even happens

-Billy Molls
Old 10-22-2021, 01:30 PM

Looks good on him, maybe he should have spent a little less time making fun of people with his “holier than thou” attitude and maybe spend one day in a firearms safety course and none this would have happened, with the CGI they have now, makes you wonder where the heck these idiots heads were at, totally avoidable, put him behind bars, play stupid games and win stupid prizes!!!!!
Old 10-22-2021, 02:41 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4DF95168-4654-4E68-9ED2-8843F59E0A5B.jpg (17.6 KB, 304 views)
Old 10-22-2021, 03:02 PM

Lots of memes generated by this, it may be a bit soon so I'm going to refrain. But I have zero sympathy for Baldwin. For the victims of his idiotic crime, yes.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-22-2021, 03:14 PM

he wont get invited back to SNL for the trump 2024
Old 10-22-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
It seems that he was not shooting an actual scene and was playing with the gun and trying to scare the Director of Photography. He may be liable and potentially face civil lawsuits from her family.

Don't play with guns!
Even when my kids play with their toy guns I tell them not to point them at people
Old 10-22-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Even when my kids play with their toy guns I tell them not to point them at people
teach em early, keep finger off trigger .
Old 10-22-2021, 04:06 PM
Banned

Default Low IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Lots of memes generated by this, it may be a bit soon so I'm going to refrain. But I have zero sympathy for Baldwin. For the victims of his idiotic crime, yes.
Comes as no surprise to me, I have long said that Baldwin has the IQ of a Turnip.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
words to live by i tell my boys the same thing
Old 10-22-2021, 04:40 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Its a movie set, guns laying around etc and then you start farting around with them….if the potential for them to shoot a projectile out then they should be locked up when not in use but maybe they were about to use them and well it went off by goofing around?
Either way bloody tragic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-22-2021, 04:43 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
teach em early, keep finger off trigger .

Huh….when the you guns are running around the house playing army man pretending to shoot each other with their toy guns ya don’t point at people and fingers off the trigger…

The big difference is teaching them what is pretend and what isn’t…

Do kids even play guns now a days or
Is that all in video games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-22-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Huh….when the you guns are running around the house playing army man pretending to shoot each other with their toy guns ya don’t point at people and fingers off the trigger…

The big difference is teaching them what is pretend and what isn’t…

Do kids even play guns now a days or
Is that all in video games?
We've got alot of Nerf and water guns kicking around the house. They sure wouldn't be much fun if you didn't point them at people.

All guns don't need to be treated as loaded, real guns IMO. Real guns need to be treated as loaded, real guns all the time, fakes ones don't.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:52 PM

I feel badly for the people killed / injured, but Baldwin is a Grade A Hypocrite because of his anti-gun stance, and I hope this has been a humbling experience for him. Despite that, it's a tragic event like any other fatal accident
Old 10-22-2021, 05:13 PM

Gun, gun, gun, gun.

This is a work place accident like what happens everyday all over the world.

Someone is obviously to blame and a full investigation should determine the extent of the negligence.

It wouldn't matter if a camera crane fell on her, she was run down by a vehicle, fell off a horse or tripped on an extension cord. Dead is dead and work places should be made safe.

This is an absolute tragedy for everyone involved and the gun, as usual, is irrelevant. It is a tool. When you use tools without proper training, someone is going to get hurt.

This has nothing to do with children playing with toy tools.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Gun, gun, gun, gun.

Someone is obviously to blame and a full investigation should determine the extent of the negligence.

It wouldn't matter if a camera crane fell on her, she was run down by a vehicle, fell off a horse or tripped on an extension cord. Dead is dead and work places should be made safe.

This is an absolute tragedy for everyone involved and the gun, as usual, is irrelevant. It is a tool. When you use tools without proper training, someone is going to get hurt.

This has nothing to do with children playing with toy tools.
Bingo.
This was a tool, at a work place, with obvious insufficient ppe/safety rules/training/etc.

Last edited by Talking moose; 10-22-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Gun, gun, gun, gun.

Workplace incident, not accident. I’ve taken enough construction management safety courses to know this will fall on him and management, which, incidentally, is also Baldwin, being that he’s a producer of the flick. He hired the incompetent armorer & he himself was also incompetent/negligent. If either of them had followed better protocols, we’d not even be having this discussion. I hope at least half of Baldwin’s net worth goes to his victims widower and her kids.

One article I read noted the armorer was female and the interviewee who worked with her very recently was skeptical of her rather casual instructions. Was she a diversity hire rather than a competency hire? Not to suggest that women can’t be entirely professional and totally competent with firearms, simply relating that the person interviewed placed some doubt on her professionalism specifically. If she was this bad, why then was she doing that job? Many of us have had the occasional co-worker, employee or even boss who didn’t quite cut it; in the armorer occupation, 2nd rate certainly doesn’t cut it. It’s the same reason that range officers boot out people who can’t follow basic safety rules.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:42 PM

Ironically, if it wasn't a Baldwin production, with him pulling the trigger, he likely would be using this as an example to demonstrate how evil firearms are. Hopefully he is sued, and it costs him a great deal.