Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
All of this was preventable and I bet dollars to doughnuts I could pick almost any of us "crazy gun owners" on this forum and this would not have happened because we know better.

I have no idea why a live round was anywhere near a movie set.

I have no idea why the weapon was not checked or verified before handing it over to Baldwin

I have no idea why, with camera angles and special FX, even when firing a blank, why there would be anyone in the "line of fire" - there is simply no reason for this

I have no idea why people handling these props (Baldwin himself) were not trained to always check the weapon themselves and never to point it at anything they don't want to shoot.

So many things went wrong here. And the end result is a preventable incident which caused the loss of life needlessly and carelessly.
This would not happen to anyone that actually cares about firearms safety. Speaking for myself, when I hand someone a firearm, I open the action to show them that it is not loaded, and if someone hands me a firearm, and the action isn't open, I open it and check for myself. I also know the difference between a blank an a live round, it's quite obvious looking at them. If the actors don't have a clue about firearms, or are anti firearm like Baldwin, there should be a prop person inspecting the firearm before the actor takes possession. And with Baldwin being so anti firearm, how could he not have each and every firearm checked before he takes possession? To take it even farther, if he is so anti firearm, why is he even handling firearms in the movies?
Old 10-23-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
This would not happen to anyone that actually cares about firearms safety. Speaking for myself, when I hand someone a firearm, I open the action to show them that it is not loaded, and if someone hands me a firearm, and the action isn't open, I open it and check for myself. I also know the difference between a blank an a live round, it's quite obvious looking at them. If the actors don't have a clue about firearms, or are anti firearm like Baldwin, there should be a prop person inspecting the firearm before the actor takes possession. And with Baldwin being so anti firearm, how could he not have each and every firearm checked before he takes possession? To take it even farther, if he is so anti firearm, why is he even handling firearms in the movies?

To make a buck/do as I say not as I do-the stench and the hypocrisy in this is off the charts.

I guess the producer (Baldwin) missed the memo: when you bite the hand that feeds you, sometimes it bites you back.

Condolences to Ms Hutchins family.

Creeky.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 10-23-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I think there is media spin here ............ the were no specific concerns I could find specifically citing gun safety.
How about this one...

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:20 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Ohh if our worlds were so perfect and poop didn’t happens eh!

Tragic is all.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-23-2021, 05:26 PM
Banned

Basic firearms safety, had it been followed, would have prevented this senseless tragedy. Baldwin failed every rule. Ultimately the prop guy’s head’s going to roll when the dust settles as he is the one tasked with all firearms safety on set.
Baldwin should have:
1.Treat every gun as if it were loaded.
2.Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
3.Always be sure of your target and what's behind it.
4.Keep your finger off the trigger till you're ready to fire.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:32 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Basic firearms safety, had it been followed, would have prevented this senseless tragedy. Baldwin failed every rule. Ultimately the prop guy’s head’s going to roll when the dust settles as he is the one tasked with all firearms safety on set.
Baldwin should have:
1.Treat every gun as if it were loaded.
2.Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
3.Always be sure of your target and what's behind it.
4.Keep your finger off the trigger till you're ready to fire.
Even when running around the house picking your kids off with a nerf gun....or them returning the favour....man it was a tragic accident and yup in a perfect world nothing...literally nothing would go wrong.

Ya right!

Preventable yup....most accidents are...but we sit on the outside looking in or hindsight....perfection.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-23-2021, 05:48 PM

What an idiot.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Even when running around the house picking your kids off with a nerf gun....or them returning the favour....man it was a tragic accident and yup in a perfect world nothing...literally nothing would go wrong.

Ya right!

Preventable yup....most accidents are...but we sit on the outside looking in or hindsight....perfection.
With a nerf gun perfection isn't required, with actual firearms, even the most minor mistake can lead to serious injury or death.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Ohh if our worlds were so perfect and poop didn’t happens eh!

Tragic is all.
Agree!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
How about this one...

ARG
Thanks for posting that, I did not hear anything about gun safety on set until I saw this article ....

That makes this even worse on so many levels ...........

stunning that this would happen not only after a previous accident, but after people specifically walked out due to this.

Makes is sooooooooo much worse for his case
Old 10-23-2021, 06:10 PM

When it comes to shooting someone’s face off, nobody gets a pass. So easily preventable. As hunters/sportsmen, this sort of thing should not be “an oh well, things happen” moment.
We should be the most adamant on that.
But carry on.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:21 PM

Am I the only one blown away that they prop guns are many times fully functional? Why leave even the possibility for something like this to happen? It’s one of those things I thought was solved many many years ago. Sad story all around.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:00 PM

Apparently there was 2 other accidental discharges earlier on set, Baldwin is going to lose his shirt. He should go to jail for man slaughter due to ignorance and negligence but I’m guessing he will write cheques instead.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:19 PM

are they 100% sure that it was an accident , ? He said it was very convincingly, He is a Actor
Old 10-23-2021, 08:21 PM

The deceased has ties, through her husband, to the Clinton campaign. Huh.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-23-2021, 08:34 PM

Baldwin pointed the gun and pulled the trigger? Why?
Who would do that? They were not filming.
He should be charged and convicted.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:37 AM

Baldwin and the armourer are responsible, they broke every safety rule set out by the movie industry.

No loaded ammunition on the set

The armourer should check the gun just before handing over to the actor

Firing any gun directly toward the camera or crew

The Canadian Ontario OHS movie guidelines the US has similar rules

If a firearm needs to be fired directly at a camera consideration should be given to locking off the camera. A shatterproof clear plastic shield should be placed in front of the focus puller and a blanket over the camera person.

Interesting read

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english...uide/gl_39.php
Old 10-24-2021, 08:42 AM

I think the word "prop" has been misused and been applied in a false way. A prop in the movie industry is short for theatrical property, nothing more. It can be an object produced for the movie or a real item.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 10-24-2021, 09:41 AM

Proper investigation should get to the facts. However my initial observation is the very young Armourer that appears not over confident, only second movie set, appears to be a weak link in the chain.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I think the word "prop" has been misused and been applied in a false way. A prop in the movie industry is short for theatrical property, nothing more. It can be an object produced for the movie or a real item.
I was wondering about that as well. In my mind, a "prop gun", isn't a real gun and it would be impossible to actually fire a round out of it. I guess though, a real gun, used in a movie as a prop, is a prop gun.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Proper investigation should get to the facts. However my initial observation is the very young Armourer that appears not over confident, only second movie set, appears to be a weak link in the chain.
-Why was the gun loaded;
-Why was a loaded gun just left on a cart unattended;
-Why did the assistant director hand it over to Baldwin and tell him it was a "cold gun"; and,
-Why, if they weren't actually filming, did Baldwin point a real gun at two people and pull the trigger?

Lots of blame to go around in my mind.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:29 AM

Trump’s fault?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4B35728D-98A1-48F7-81DC-19D06E167FA9.jpg (19.6 KB, 113 views)
Old 10-24-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Trump’s fault?
The person posting that is either making a poor attempt at sarcasm, or is in desperate need of psychiatric help.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:39 AM

I’m afraid it wasn’t sarcasm
Old 10-24-2021, 10:45 AM

[QUOTE Trump’s fault?[/QUOTE]

The conspiracy theory's start, another is the disgruntled workers that walked off loaded the gun.

Click bait sites are having a field day
Old 10-24-2021, 11:30 AM

With the extent that computer generated animation is used today in Hollywood, it's hard to imagine why a functioning firearm is needed on a movie set. (It doesn't seem like anybody acts anymore). Baldwin's production must have been incredibly low- budget. Which explains how an accident likely happened.
Some education and hands-on experience with firearms would do many others a world of good.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Just because her dad is well respected in the industry, doesn't automatically mean she's competent, surely we've all seen bad examples of nepotism before. I suspect left-wing 'diversity hire' box-checking had more to do with her being employed in this position than her competence... because that seems entirely absent based on the evidence of a dead woman and a wounded man.

The conspiracy theorists will be running amok, as evidenced by Cody's screenshot. I seriously doubt the crew that walked off would undertake sabotage, especially when part of their reason for the walk off was lax safety. The other suggestion of a Trump supporter being the saboteur is even dumber. Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation is the most likely. That simple explanation is the screaming incompetence of multiple non-gun people handling a gun.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 10-24-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Baldwin and the armourer are responsible, they broke every safety rule set out by the movie industry.

No loaded ammunition on the set

The armourer should check the gun just before handing over to the actor

Firing any gun directly toward the camera or crew

The Canadian Ontario OHS movie guidelines the US has similar rules

If a firearm needs to be fired directly at a camera consideration should be given to locking off the camera. A shatterproof clear plastic shield should be placed in front of the focus puller and a blanket over the camera person.

Interesting read

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english...uide/gl_39.php
Thanks for the link. I had no idea how guns were handled on sets. I was giving Baldwin the benefit of the doubt but it is now clear that he shouldn't have had the gun pointed at a person and he shouldn't have pulled the trigger. I didn't know if that was true with a prop that had been declared cold. Lots of blame to go around though.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
Thanks for the link. I had no idea how guns were handled on sets. I was giving Baldwin the benefit of the doubt but it is now clear that he shouldn't have had the gun pointed at a person and he shouldn't have pulled the trigger. I didn't know if that was true with a prop that had been declared cold. Lots of blame to go around though.
Not sure how the blame can lie with anyone but the individual pointing and pulling the trigger. Gun safety 101
Old 10-24-2021, 02:05 PM

Most industrial accidents are usually a combination of 3 or more causes coming together at same time. I think Trouchu nailed it with his last post.