Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2021, 09:57 AM

Default That didn't take long

They are stirring up emotional support by portraying Baldwin as a victim.
Must divert attention from the fact they ignored all prop firearm safety protocols in order for this to happen; this was not an accident.
Disgusting.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...=pocket-newtab

Excerpt:
Quote:
Alec Baldwin and the neglected trauma of unintentional killing

Along with feelings of shock, Baldwin may also be experiencing moral injury, which Gray defines as "guilt when our behavior fails to live up to our moral expectations." As a result, many unintentional killers often engage in self-destructive behaviors, like denying themselves happiness or punishing themselves.

It may be tempting for some to criticize Baldwin, but experts say this is an oversimplification of a complex incident.

"We have enough compassion in our hearts that we can not only mourn for Halyna, but also recognize the suffering and despair that Baldwin may well be experiencing," Gray advises. "We can acknowledge great harm has been done and hold people accountable, yet we can also recognize he didn't intend harm and that he may be suffering from psychological despair."

Ching says everyone on set is likely traumatized from witnessing the unexpected death, but instead of pointing fingers and speculating who's responsible, we should show empathy and compassion.
"We live in a culture that loves to critique for sport," says Ching. "We want to have blame and have people pay, and we do need justice and accountability. But if we don't have empathy and compassion along with it, we're just going to continue piling on the ruthlessness we're seeing in our culture today."

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-07-2021, 08:23 PM

I would like to hear from someone who actually knows, who has personal working knowledge from from being employed regularly on movie sets, what is the protocol.

We can all go on about safety procedures we know (hopefully) as gun owners but is this the reality on tv and movie sets?

I flew a plane on a movie and not once did the actors do a walk around or check the plane, they took our word as professionals that it was all good.

As much as you may hate Baldwin, is it realistic to expect him or any actor to prove a firearm SAFE, would they even know how, would you as the professional in charge want them f==king with the gun?

This doesn't remove his responsibility as producer if he was in charge of hiring the armourer, but i don't see many actors even knowing how to load or unload a gun, never mind checking for live or blank rounds.

As far as pointing the gun, watch any "making of" videos of movies and they are constantly aiming at and shooting at other actors and cameras.

Not trying to deflect or assign blame to anyone but there are a lot of arm chair quarterbacks on this site (what a surprise) that have no idea of what they are talking about.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Trump’s fault?
According to the Baldwins of the world "The Woke Club", Trump started and was responsible for WWII. Morons!

Can't wait to hear all of the whinings when he is back in power in 2024.
I'll give them all a big group hug, that should make then feel better
Old 11-08-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
I would like to hear from someone who actually knows, who has personal working knowledge from from being employed regularly on movie sets, what is the protocol.

We can all go on about safety procedures we know (hopefully) as gun owners but is this the reality on tv and movie sets?

I flew a plane on a movie and not once did the actors do a walk around or check the plane, they took our word as professionals that it was all good.

As much as you may hate Baldwin, is it realistic to expect him or any actor to prove a firearm SAFE, would they even know how, would you as the professional in charge want them f==king with the gun?

This doesn't remove his responsibility as producer if he was in charge of hiring the armourer, but i don't see many actors even knowing how to load or unload a gun, never mind checking for live or blank rounds.

As far as pointing the gun, watch any "making of" videos of movies and they are constantly aiming at and shooting at other actors and cameras.

Not trying to deflect or assign blame to anyone but there are a lot of arm chair quarterbacks on this site (what a surprise) that have no idea of what they are talking about.
There are interviews with these people all over. A shortened version says he is absolutely at fault. No actor is supposed to point a firearm at anyone and that as a producer he is at fault for his slip shod safety practices on set.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-08-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:

The bigger gap here is that most of us on this forum grew up around guns and find it unfathomable that anyone would take someone else's word for the state of a gun. Loaded/unloaded, safety on/off. We've all heard the stories of the guy that had the unloaded gun go off and the safety that didn't work. Plus it doesn't take in excess of 40 hours to learn how to safely operate a basic handgun. They're not nearly as complex as a private plane.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
The bigger gap here is that most of us on this forum grew up around guns and find it unfathomable that anyone would take someone else's word for the state of a gun. Loaded/unloaded, safety on/off. We've all heard the stories of the guy that had the unloaded gun go off and the safety that didn't work. Plus it doesn't take in excess of 40 hours to learn how to safely operate a basic handgun. They're not nearly as complex as a private plane.
This is along my lines of thinking on the issue as well.

My takeaway from this tragedy is that we must always be aware that any person can become complacent when it comes to firearm safety, whether it's muzzle control or checking for obstructions, etc.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:48 AM

I find it extremely odd that people are suggesting it should not be expected that someone handling a gun knows how to use it safely. Learning & practicing firearm safety basics is not a remotely difficult thing, I’d even say that safely handling a firearm is much easier than driving a car as there are fewer rules and fewer controls to operate, not to mention learning all the nuances of interacting with other drivers. To suggest that an individual shouldn’t have to know gun safety ‘because they’re an actor’ is frankly ludicrous. Gun safety applies to everyone, always.

“Here, this gun is safe, now point it at your newborn child over there and pull the trigger. But don’t verify it yourself, that would be silly. It would be impolite to doubt my word on the matter”. Yes, it’s that ludicrous of a suggestion people are making, hence the use of an extreme example.

How many actors who personally own & use guns have ever personally committed a homicide on their movie sets? Clint didn’t, John Wayne didn’t, Tom Selleck didn’t, Charlton Heston didn’t, Keanu didn’t, Brad Pitt didn’t, Chick Norris didn’t Anyone else noticing a pattern here? It’s the most elementary thing that could have prevented this, yet people still seem to be convinced that liability can be transferred to others and away from the person who was the last link in the chain of incompetence. Like with any chain, had any link been broken then this entirely preventable tragedy would not have happened.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Firearms aside, if you have worked in industry, you now that there are standard practices, and sometimes codes that govern anyrhing to do with handling or working on/with equipment/substances that can pose a safety hazard. You don't have to be an expert on all of the equipment/substances on your work site, but you are required to be made aware of, and obey all of these standards/codes. If you knowingly violate the standards or codes, you can be held liable, if anyone is injured or killed as a result. And if supervision/management instructs their workers to violate the codes or standards, or if they observe or are aware of the violations, and don't take action to stop thise violations from occuring, they can be held liable. In this case Baldwin is both the person violating the standards/codes, and the management, who is allowing the violations to occur.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:00 AM

In the movie'The Edge" Baldwin knew how to carefully load a rifle to shoot his partner, so appears to have some experience with real guns.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
My point isn't that the actor shouldn't be responsible.
My question is, has anybody here personally worked on a movie set and seen what the procedures are when a gun is handed to a actor?
Anybody personally, not my buddys, sisters friend handed out donuts on a commercial so she knows.
i agree, I myself would always check a gun, agree it is very simple to be taught, but is it done on sets or do they take the word of the armourer?
Im just asking a question, not defending the actions.
As I said, I have had actors sitting in the cockpit pretending they are flying who wouldn't know a altimeter from a iPhone. Not the same as a gun but same idea, you are taking the word of a (hopefully) professional.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:

All players in this are doing the blame game & all we know is that Alec Baldwin pulled the trigger on a loaded gun tragically killing the DP and wounding the director.

Baldwin is a brilliant actor and might be a really decent person in real life. I don’t know that, but I do know he is vehemently “anti gun” yet has zero problem using firearms to further his career in the film & movie industry. That is hypocritical in my opinion.

Having worked on both union and non union sets I can say that safety is all over the map-one AD might be big on it, next set might be just as big on the fresh out of film school dream team and/or craft food services.

If Rust set protocol was for armorer only to verify & hand cold gun to Baldwin then he (as producer/actor) instead took custody from unauthorized AD ?-At the end of the day I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Armorer, Producer Baldwin and AD being charged as accessories to negligent homicide.

Creeky....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 11-08-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I find it extremely odd that people are suggesting it should not be expected that someone handling a gun knows how to use it safely. Learning & practicing firearm safety basics is not a remotely difficult thing, I’d even say that safely handling a firearm is much easier than driving a car as there are fewer rules and fewer controls to operate, not to mention learning all the nuances of interacting with other drivers. To suggest that an individual shouldn’t have to know gun safety ‘because they’re an actor’ is frankly ludicrous. Gun safety applies to everyone, always.

“Here, this gun is safe, now point it at your newborn child over there and pull the trigger. But don’t verify it yourself, that would be silly. It would be impolite to doubt my word on the matter”. Yes, it’s that ludicrous of a suggestion people are making, hence the use of an extreme example.

How many actors who personally own & use guns have ever personally committed a homicide on their movie sets? Clint didn’t, John Wayne didn’t, Tom Selleck didn’t, Charlton Heston didn’t, Keanu didn’t, Brad Pitt didn’t, Chick Norris didn’t Anyone else noticing a pattern here? It’s the most elementary thing that could have prevented this, yet people still seem to be convinced that liability can be transferred to others and away from the person who was the last link in the chain of incompetence. Like with any chain, had any link been broken then this entirely preventable tragedy would not have happened.
I disagree with your suggestion that guns are or can be checked by anyone with a firearms safety course because there are so many different kinds,for instance theres a lot of difference in a bolt action 22 rifle and a semi automatic.and theres a lot more difference in a western style six shooter. A person would have to be schooled on the gun in question to have knowledge on how to check it out for safety. Which comes down to whoever is having to use a gun on set should definetly be educated on the basic use of the gun he/she is handling,which in my opinion puts the onus on armorer and the user only. So now the only thing they have to prove is,was it intentional, stupidity or negligence?very simple. But in this never never land of Hollywood where common sense is extremely hard to find, who knows what the outcome will be? I have a lot of respect for your views Caber you are a very well spoken person..Have a great day, my 2 cents.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.

Last edited by Fish along; 11-08-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:01 PM

I disagree with your statements Fish Along.
You are right, Baldwin pulled the trigger. But it's very basic in checking to see if it's loaded or not. If you aren't sure how it operates, ask. This is just one more great example of that. Had he, the end user, asked for a simple lesson in the firearm being used, and the proper procedures followed, this could have been avoided rather easily. I am not insinuating or suggesting that it is all Baldwin's fault as it has been suggested here a few times already, there would have been a few hands for the particular firearm to go through before getting to him.
I think someone like Keaunu Reeves did it right. Maybe it was part of the rider or a stipulation of the contract, or maybe he just wanted to be better than 99% of Hollywood, but he went through proper, and then even advanced training. Whether it was for a safety standpoint of a purely "effect" standpoint, it really doesn't matter as he went through the proper safety training that should be a requirement for handling of firearms on the set.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:29 PM
Banned

Default My mama says that stupid is as stupid does

Anyone that is shooting at people with a handgun that is capable of shooting live rounds that did not personally take the 30 seconds it takes to check the chamber to verify it is unloaded is responsible, but that's just my view.

However unlike Baldwin, I am not a superior intellect, woke, antigun activist actor, I am just an average Joe. I have a funny feeling if I did that I would be doing 10 to life!
Old 11-08-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFitter View Post
I disagree with your statements Fish Along.
You are right, Baldwin pulled the trigger. But it's very basic in checking to see if it's loaded or not. If you aren't sure how it operates, ask. This is just one more great example of that. Had he, the end user, asked for a simple lesson in the firearm being used, and the proper procedures followed, this could have been avoided rather easily. I am not insinuating or suggesting that it is all Baldwin's fault as it has been suggested here a few times already, there would have been a few hands for the particular firearm to go through before getting to him.
I think someone like Keaunu Reeves did it right. Maybe it was part of the rider or a stipulation of the contract, or maybe he just wanted to be better than 99% of Hollywood, but he went through proper, and then even advanced training. Whether it was for a safety standpoint of a purely "effect" standpoint, it really doesn't matter as he went through the proper safety training that should be a requirement for handling of firearms on the set.
I’ve watched videos of Keanu shooting, he’s got some legit skills
Old 11-08-2021, 06:49 PM

I used to work in this industry.

I've boom op'd and then moved into the camera department on union films, and been a DP and Director on smaller Indie films and docs that used actors in re-enactments etc.

I have no knowledge of what happened on this set, but my gut says, from my experience and observation, this is in no way the actor's fault.

Should the producer hold some responsibility? Possibly, but I'm not sure in this case....I've been on many shoots where the producer was nowhere in sight. They handle more of the business end of things, rather than day-to-day operations of capturing a scene. In this case, I get that Baldwin was a "producer", but there are many levels of "producers" on these projects, some are in name only as that credit is negotiated often for something like putting up some money, etc, settling for a lesser fee, and they really do no actual "producer" duties.

In my opinion, I really have to point some questions to the director. If the producer is the "general manager", then the director is the "head coach". He would have instructed everyone on what to do that day and when to do it.

Easy to Monday morning quarterback this, but if it was my set, and it wasn't, I would have made sure I was there for the handoff of the firearm to whoever was handling/using it in the scene, and witnessed for myself if it was clear and safe.

The actor? They are focusing on their character, their lines, where to stand, what elbow they leaned on the bar with in the last take (continuity)...the last thing (again, just me personally) I'd want my actor to worry about is the prop, regardless of what it was, knife, gun, torch (I've worked with pyro as well) boxing glove...they are ACTING.

It's up to people behind the scenes to ensure the safety of people in front of the camera. (and the rest of the crew of course) The actors TRUST US to take care of that stuff and to take care of THEM.

If a light fell on their head, I wouldn't have expected an actor to check for a safety chain or sandbags. That's our job, our responsibility.

I don't know if I'm explaining it properly, but I'm saying, from everything I've ever seen, the actor is trusting the people around them to ensure a safe set...they are responsible for their performance alone, and that's what you want as a director, an actor focused on performing.

You might have an instance like some of the examples given where the actor is a trained firearms enthusiast, but often the case is, this person may be handling the prop for the first time in their lives....just doing their job as per the script and DIRECTION, so that's why I'm still looking at the armorer for sure, (why did the A.D. ever pick the gun up in the first place?) and....in my opinion....the director....that's your set. Some responsibility is on that dude as well.

I know there's a lot of hate for Baldwin for his stance on guns and his portrayal of President Trump, but if this was Joe or Jane Blow...I don't know if you all would be as sure where the blame should lay.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post

I've boom op'd and then moved into the camera department on union films, and been a DP and Director on smaller Indie films and docs that used actors in re-enactments etc.

I have no knowledge of what happened on this set, but my gut says, from my experience and observation, this is in no way the actor's fault.

Should the producer hold some responsibility? Possibly, but I'm not sure in this case....I've been on many shoots where the producer was nowhere in sight. They handle more of the business end of things, rather than day-to-day operations of capturing a scene. In this case, I get that Baldwin was a "producer", but there are many levels of "producers" on these projects, some are in name only as that credit is negotiated often for something like putting up some money, etc, settling for a lesser fee, and they really do no actual "producer" duties.

In my opinion, I really have to point some questions to the director. If the producer is the "general manager", then the director is the "head coach". He would have instructed everyone on what to do that day and when to do it.

Easy to Monday morning quarterback this, but if it was my set, and it wasn't, I would have made sure I was there for the handoff of the firearm to whoever was handling/using it in the scene, and witnessed for myself if it was clear and safe.

The actor? They are focusing on their character, their lines, where to stand, what elbow they leaned on the bar with in the last take (continuity)...the last thing (again, just me personally) I'd want my actor to worry about is the prop, regardless of what it was, knife, gun, torch (I've worked with pyro as well) boxing glove...they are ACTING.

It's up to people behind the scenes to ensure the safety of people in front of the camera. (and the rest of the crew of course) The actors TRUST US to take care of that stuff and to take care of THEM.

If a light fell on their head, I wouldn't have expected an actor to check for a safety chain or sandbags. That's our job, our responsibility.

I don't know if I'm explaining it properly, but I'm saying, from everything I've ever seen, the actor is trusting the people around them to ensure a safe set...they are responsible for their performance alone, and that's what you want as a director, an actor focused on performing.

You might have an instance like some of the examples given where the actor is a trained firearms enthusiast, but often the case is, this person may be handling the prop for the first time in their lives....just doing their job as per the script and DIRECTION, so that's why I'm still looking at the armorer for sure, (why did the A.D. ever pick the gun up in the first place?) and....in my opinion....the director....that's your set. Some responsibility is on that dude as well.

I know there's a lot of hate for Baldwin for his stance on guns and his portrayal of President Trump, but if this was Joe or Jane Blow...I don't know if you all would be as sure where the blame should lay.
Handling a weapon "Saftey 101". Always check a firearm when one is handed to you. The owness should always lay with the person pulling the trigger.

You should send that post to Alex in an email, he would probably offer you a sweet gig in his next movie, at the minimum, he will hire you as an expert witness for the defendant's legal team. lol

Last edited by North40Rules; 11-08-2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:02 PM

I totally agree with you that it's safety 101...it's everything!

At least it's everything WE"VE been taught...not some poor dumb actor who could be easily distracted, nervous, terrified with stage fright, performance anxiety, impaired due to fatigue, or occasionally even something else...we don't trust the actor, they trust us.

They are not showing up for work that day saying "hey, anybody got a gun for me to wave around?" No, they are showing up to play a character, a make believe performance they are getting paid to execute (oops, bad pun, I won't use it in court, I promise)

The filmmakers (director is in charge) are GIVING them that gun saying "here, this is safe, point it here, say this, do that".

So the way I see it, it's our responsibility. The director said "here, do this", and the armorer is hired to make sure "this" is safe.

I totally agree with you that gun safety in our world as shooters and outdoorsmen, is everything, but I could see how an actor would have too much on their mind to be trusted to prove or even recognize a safe firearm, again, that's the job of those of us behind the camera.

Jeez, don't know why I'm defending actors. They're a pain in the you know what, but just giving my perspective from the working environment I've seen on actual working sets.

I believe that out of 4 people, the armorer(paid to make sure nobody shoots nobody on set today), the assistant director(who grabbed it off the cart?), the director (who says, "all right, now do this"), and the actor, 3 of these people are way more at fault then the actor.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post

Actor's are human beings just like you and I, Just because they a hella famous (in some peoples eyes) doesn't give them a free pass to IGNORE basic firearm handling rules. He's guilty as sin!! Besides, why would your EVER point a gun at any human being?? Unless, self defence
Old 11-08-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Actor's are human beings just like you and I, Just because they a hella famous (in some peoples eyes) doesn't give them a free pass to IGNORE basic firearm handling rules. He's guilty as sin!! Besides, why would your EVER point a gun at any human being?? Unless, self defence
Have you ever watched a movie?

They are always pointing guns.

Watch a John Wick behind the scenes video if you think there is no gun pointing at actors and cameras. And yes I know Keanu Reeves is more expert with firearms than probably everyone on this site and would have checked his gun.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:15 PM

Another idiot emerges..
(Rittenhouse Prosecutor in courtroom)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hold my beer Alec...jpg (33.6 KB, 117 views)
Old 12-02-2021, 06:49 AM

Now the idiot claims that he didn't pull the trigger, and that he would never point a firearm at another person and pull the trigger.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...BDH15md7YokCqU

Quote:
Actor Alec Baldwin told ABC News' George Stephanopoulos in an exclusive interview that he had "no idea" how a live bullet got onto the set of his film, "Rust," but that he "didn't pull the trigger" on the firearm that killed one person and wounded another.

"I would never point a gun at anyone and pull the trigger at them, never," Baldwin told Stephanopoulos in a first look at the upcoming interview, which is produced by George Stephanopoulos Productions.
Does he really believe that anyone is gullible enough to believe this nonsense?
Old 12-02-2021, 06:58 AM
Banned

Default !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Now the idiot claims that he didn't pull the trigger, and that he would never point a firearm at another person and pull the trigger.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...BDH15md7YokCqU

Does he really believe that anyone is gullible enough to believe this nonsense?
He is counting on the "Woke and Clueless" to believe that BS.

It is literally IMPOSSIBLE to shoot this type of 6 shooter handgun, without definitely knowing that you pulled the trigger!

Old 12-02-2021, 07:05 AM

It's a single action is he saying he didn't cock it either?
Old 12-02-2021, 07:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
If you don't cock the hammer manually then you have to pull the trigger really hard engage the hammer and turn the cylinder!

Last edited by North40Rules; 12-02-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:37 AM

You guys, pistols cock themselves and fire themselves all the time. 😂 The part I have trouble with is he didn’t point it at anyone yet hit 2 people when the pistol cocked and shot itself. He must have seen that stupid movie where they wave the pistol around wildly to shoot around corners like a pool ball with English on it.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
If you don't cock the hammer manually then you have to pull the trigger really hard engage the hammer and turn the cylinder!
A single action must be cocked manually, or it won't fire, no matter how hard you pull the trigger.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
You guys, pistols cock themselves and fire themselves all the time. 😂 The part I have trouble with is he didn’t point it at anyone yet hit 2 people when the pistol cocked and shot itself. He must have seen that stupid movie where they wave the pistol around wildly to shoot around corners like a pool ball with English on it.
Yup..

I sat in a bit of disbelief when I watched him on the interview where he said he didn’t aim at anyone or pull the trigger…
We all know how guns work and so does that guy…now he’s trying to “Aim” the Blame on anybody else but himself…I never did enjoy watching his stuff on tv..
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-02-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I have absolutely NO IDEA who he is trying to fool with that stupid statement!
Cat
Old 12-02-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
You're thinking double action.