Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2021, 06:05 PM
Banned

Default Getting old really sucks.

Don't bounce like I used to, now it's more of a splat. Busted a rib yesterday after doing the funky chicken on the ice.

Managed to break 3 last year, and ripped the tissue between the ribs. Anyone else having great luck
Old 11-28-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynewf View Post
Don't bounce like I used to, now it's more of a splat. Busted a rib yesterday after doing the funky chicken on the ice.

Managed to break 3 last year, and ripped the tissue between the ribs. Anyone else having great luck
Come on man, you're just living up to your AO Handle.......
Old 11-28-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Sorry to hear man. Getting older is not often easy.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:47 PM

All the stuff I did to myself in my younger years, only hurts now when I breathe.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:55 PM

That stinks. My body can still perform but the mind is slipping. Spent 5 minutes the other day looking for my truck keys. They were in my hand.

I may be headed for Dementiaville and it won't be a long trip.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:06 PM
Banned

15 years as a middle linebacker, still feel some of the hits lol
Old 11-28-2021, 07:07 PM

Knees are bad. Takes me a minute to straighten out the legs some days.

I remember in my early teens, my friends dad had trouble standing up from a seated position. He always needed to pull or push himself up.

At least I still have my good looks.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2021, 07:10 PM
Banned

Glad I'm not alone. What's it going to be like in another 20 years.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post

You guys had it easy versus us corners.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Start worrying when you're not sure you'll make 20 years.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
You guys had it easy versus us corners.
I punished many people. Best corner I ever knew was Junior Robinson, we called him Master of Disaster, he played in the CFL
Old 11-28-2021, 08:12 PM

Default Old age

It’s not for sissy’s. it’s not so bad when you thinks of the alternative. Both quotes from my grandmother may she rip.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
You played in the CFL or NFL?
Old 11-28-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I punished many people. Best corner I ever knew was Junior Robinson, we called him Master of Disaster, he played in the CFL

I remember the name. Coupld of stints in Sask if I remember right? I played with Tim Hook, OL for Sask and Toronto, we shot a few deer together later, and Preston Young, safety for the Alouettes which is bizarre in that he wasn't a starter until he played Junior. Guy was a rock as a pro.

These are names from the 70's and early 80's so I date myself, and, I was only kidding re MLB. Very tough position to play. Hardest on D.

Steve "Stick" Dennis was the best corner i ever saw. Long career with the Stsmpeders. Ron Lancaster used to say he didn't even look to throw to his side of the field.

Last edited by 270person; 11-28-2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:23 PM

I fell 6 weeks ago landed face first on the concrete along with landing on top of my metal thermos with my ribs. Wound up loosening a tooth huge fat and split lip and bruised ribs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 11-28-2021, 08:49 PM

The big 65 coming in the next month and a half and my body feels 75. Lots of old sports injuries takin7g their toll and get it for all you other old farts like me.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I remember the name. Coupld of stints in Sask if I remember right? I played with Tim Hook, OL for Sask and Toronto, we shot a few deer together later, and Preston Young, safety for the Alouettes which is bizarre in that he wasn't a starter until he played Junior. Guy was a rock as a pro.

These are names from the 70's and early 80's so I date myself, and, I was only kidding re MLB. Very tough position to play. Hardest on D.

Steve "Stick" Dennis was the best corner i ever saw. Long career with the Stsmpeders. Ron Lancaster used to say he didn't even look to throw to his side of the field.
Correct about Junior, we played together for a junior team, Broncos in Montreal we are undefeated that year. Al Phaneuf was our defensive coach. That was a fun season.

Al Phaneuf played defensive back for 3 years with the Montreal Alouettes from 1969 to 1971, not missing a game, for a total of 42 games. Phaneuf's best year was 1970, when he intercepted 9 passes and was a CFL all-star. He was also and runner up for the CFL's Most Outstanding Canadian Award. That year, he played an important role in the Lark's Grey Cup victory by a score of 23-10 over the Calgary Stampeders by intercepting 2 passes.

Hell of a guy, we got along well!
Old 11-28-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Correct about Junior, we played together for a junior team, Broncos in Montreal we are undefeated that year.

Undefeated until you played the Regina Rams? Lol

Has to be a connection between your old coach and Dionne?
Old 11-28-2021, 10:22 PM

We sat with the kids tonite and did an 80's music quiz.....

I totally destroyed them.

Then I remembered I had put chicken wings in the oven......the smoke detector told me this......lol

So Im batting 50-50 tonite......
Old 11-28-2021, 10:52 PM

Getting old sucks but the alternative is worse. Had a couple of acquaintances drop dead in their 50s in the last couple of years.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:13 PM

Join the club.

Used to be you cart wheeled down the ski hill in an epic wipe out and then get up…laugh… ski down the hill and repeat.

Now you slip on the ice. Pain for months. Bend over too fast to weed the garden. Pain for months. Go to bed feeling great… wake up with a sore neck. Start feeling great… something feels off and soon you are in surgery.

Enjoy the days as much as possible.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-28-2021, 11:15 PM

Here's the hard kicker truth though,
seeing what this planet is becoming & morphing into, old age may be the lottery ticket out the madness.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
They keep telling me the alternative is worse, I'm getting less and less sure every day.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-28-2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
seeing what this planet is morphing into & becoming, old age may just be the needed lottery ticket out the madness.
I keep telling my friends, we're living at he high point of human existence, the Good Days are done, appreciate what we have.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-28-2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I keep telling my friends, we're living at he high point of human existence, the Good Days are done, appreciate what we have.

Grizz
Agree, a human chapter of sorts is wrapping up in rapid fashion.
But yes, getting old sucks, my back thinks it still can get down & party the way it goes out so often.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:31 AM

The wife and I went bike riding last spring for the first time in a few years. About a block from home, she almost wiped out and I fell over while turning around to see if she was ok and cracked two ribs. Bikes have been hanging in the garage since lol
Old 11-29-2021, 04:26 AM

No your not alone, what I used to do for a week straight now takes me a week to do. I spent 2 hrs behind the snow blower about 10 days ago did mine, and a couple of the neighbors plus the sidewalk to end of the block both ways, the next day I felt like I'd been run over by a truck

It's not fun getting old but it beats the heck out of the alternative and I got about 13 more years before I get another antelope tag and I don't want to waste all those draw points

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
seeing what this planet is becoming & morphing into, old age may be the lottery ticket out the madness.
That is what I have been thinking lately, our exit is timely and I feel sorry for today's youth!
Old 11-29-2021, 05:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
No your not alone, what I used to do for a week straight now takes me a week to do. I spent 2 hrs behind the snow blower about 10 days ago did mine, and a couple of the neighbors plus the sidewalk to end of the block both ways, the next day I felt like I'd been run over by a truck

It's not fun getting old but it beats the heck out of the alternative and I got about 13 more years before I get another antelope tag and I don't want to waste all those draw points
Not sure if you know this or not but shoveling and clearing snow is the leading cause of death in men in Canada. The actual cause is a Heart Attack caused by over-exertion, while doing it.

So if you want to make it until your next antelope draw, do what I do. Have your wife clear the snow
Old 11-29-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Not sure if you know this or not but shoveling and clearing snow is the leading cause of death in men in Canada. The actual cause is a Heart Attack caused by over-exertion, while doing it.

So if you want to make it until your next antelope draw, do what I do. Have your wife clear the snow
Trying to make the wife clear the snow would be far more hazardous to my health than actually doing it myself No No No wifey doesn't do snow removal

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.